Thai PM defends police monitoring of Muslim university students

webfact

Muslim students not being targeted, Prayut insists

By THE NATION

800_6809b2626f0c475.jpg?v=1568724188

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Tuesday (September 17) defended the Police Special Branch Bureau’s decision to gather the personal information of Muslim university students, saying it was not discriminatory, but just plain compilation of data.

He said that Thailand has never had “Big Data” and that this action was not meant to violate anybody’s privacy, adding: “One should never worry about his or her personal information being collected if they do not intend to do anything illegal.”

The Muslim Students Federation of Thailand recently issued a statement questioning the bureau’s formal request to all universities asking them to submit personal information about their Muslim students.

Prayut quoted the bureau as saying that information about Muslim students was necessary to create a unique database that will be useful in police intelligence service.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376333

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-18
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Discrimanation based on religion? This is Thailand, im discriminated for being white and having no religion!

Have to say im all for stopping terrorism but of late my stupid neighbours have been able to make up lies and have a police with a warrant search my home and so on so now there is a pretty descent false file on my family at the local police station. I dont think any thai should be cataloguing anything because they clearly have no idea what they are doing!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's prime minister on Tuesday defended police for requesting information about minority Muslim students from universities around the country, after criticism of the move as discriminatory and illegal.

While Thai students are free to wage open war-fare on the public streets with inter-University challenge !!!

15 minutes ago, Petchou said:

Following same logic you use.  Since most of not all the pedophiles coming to Thailand are white westerners,. To deal with these criminals, a database for all farangs must be built to protect Thai kids.  Sound very logic.  Right?

Give them time. Once the system is up and working, the same measures used against retirees would be one pen stroke away.

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

About 90% of Thais are Buddhist,   SO? How many actually practice it?????? Live by  the 5 precepts ?????

Every morning at schools the kids say

1. Don't drink alcohol

2. Don't have sexual intercourse with someone else wife.

3. Don't lie

4. don't kill

But ...........................................

That's ridiculous. Probably got motivation to do as it was done in New York. Then you have re-education in China. They are just jumping on board with it.

The real issues to be solved are the bribes given to military officers in the south where religious zealots derive from. Not to mention increased efforts to make it a better community down there. IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Petchou said:

Following same logic you use.  Since most of not all the pedophiles coming to Thailand are white westerners,. To deal with these criminals, a database for all farangs must be built to protect Thai kids.  Sound very logic.  Right?

No problem for me, I have nothing to hide. If it serves it´s purpose, then I am all for it. How about you? What are you scared of?

5 hours ago, legend49 said:

About 90% of Thais are Buddhist,

90% think they are, like sheep, taught from birth, witness  small toddlers with lucky amulets around  their wrists, its child  abuse and I hope one day it  will be brought up worldwide as such.

41 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

No problem for me, I have nothing to hide. If it serves it´s purpose, then I am all for it. How about you? What are you scared of?

Let  us  know  in the not too distant future when all this data is  hacked  into and your files are altered your iris  scan and fingerprints   used where you don't want them and you  cant prove you weren't there.

Even now cloning of id's  is  leading good people into terrible problems.

Edited by Chazar

27 minutes ago, the guest said:

Good on Thailand, Muslims are one of the few minorities who refuse to fully integrate with their hosting country. Mosques and so-called "religious" schools are potential breeding grounds for hostile ideology.

There have been many reports in Europe echoing the same concerns that tighter controls should be in place.

Now you may understand why Burma and China will not tolerate this type of ideology, as it undermines their culture and values.

Moronic post. They are native to the country.