Retire, to Chiang Mai!

VIPinLanna

For me

On 9/18/2019 at 1:52 PM, BritManToo said:

Don't do it.

We have the worst air in the world from February to March.

And the most corrupt immigration office in the country.

Not to mention police stops around the moat and superhighway every day looking for bribes.

For me, it's the unbearable heat from March to May that's the main problem. Can't remember whether Feb is as hot.... LOL and the TM30 reporting everything we go out somewhere.

Never had any problem with corrupt immigration officer since I can wait for 3 weeks for residence cert.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, BobBKK said:

I now live in CM but have been all over the place BKK, Pattaya. CM is not what it was but still the best place in a now miserable Thailand. I stay here and travel Philippines mostly. If I started again and did not have ties here I'd probably retire to Philippines. As I'm here CM is best place in Thailand to settle. You have more than enough cash.

I agree that  CM  is a lot nicer than BKK or Pattaya.    There are many other possibilities in Thailand , however.    Why do you choose CM over     lets say  Hua Hin or  Trat   or  Loei   or   ........... ?

8 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

If I were you, I would look at Portugal or even Japan.  Thai Immigration imposes far too many requirements for westerners to live in Thailand.  

These people want 800,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank, they require you to check in with Thai Immgration every 90 days, and demand to submit a TM30 form to immigration within 24 hours everytime you return from any trips where you spent the night in another location.  

You do know that in Japan, the police come around to everyone's home to verify who is living there, right? At least once or twice a year. They 'say' that it's for safety sake in case of fire or earthquake, but that could be done by paper, and not require a visual contact. I prefer the Thai way.

5 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

So never got a residence paper for a driving license ?? Or did you wait the month for the free one rather than paying 500b for the 'service'.

I guess the US Passport Service must be corrupt, too, because you can pay them for expedited service. In fact, many facets of most governments have expedited service available. I'm not sure where you get the idea that this is corrupt?

1 hour ago, FolkGuitar said:
  7 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

So never got a residence paper for a driving license ?? Or did you wait the month for the free one rather than paying 500b for the 'service'.

1 hour ago, FolkGuitar said:

I guess the US Passport Service must be corrupt, too, because you can pay them for expedited service. In fact, many facets of most governments have expedited service available. I'm not sure where you get the idea that this is corrupt?

The difference is the US Passport Service openly advises expedited service is available for an additional fee paid into the service. 

Imm has or had a sign stating there is NO FEE for this service. Ever get a receipt?  

22 hours ago, lexilis said:

This guy is better situated than plenty of people retired in CM. More than 1M $US is assets with 400k liquid and 5 years to SS income and the rest of his assets. And he is talking about having to live in a place for 6000 Bt a month? That's ridiculous. He could live well here paying 15-20k for a very comfortable place (or a bit more for even better). Since he is apparently about 60 he could even afford to buy good health insurance which he could maintain. Financially he would not have a problem (if all that is true). In Chiang Mai though? I have been here for many years and if I was in his situation I would look around for a year or so before committing. Spend a couple of weeks (or months) in Hua Hin, maybe Ao Nang or else where in VN, or maybe even South America. CM is OK (and I am basically committed to staying here) but there are definitely increasing problems with Thailand in general. Good luck.

if i ever get to that financial milestone i'm outta here (in chiang mai now). see you in the virgin islands!

22 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I am not questioning but rather asking for the source of the information.

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/millionaires-in-america-where-are-they-/4562023.html

In the world, Millionaires make up less than 1%.  Here is the source for that....

https://www.inc.com/business-insider/36-million-millionaires-in-the-world-hold-46-percent-wealth-credit-suisse-global-wealth-report-2017.html

8 minutes ago, fhickson said:

no need to be in thailand at all with that amount, and your not going to put up with the hassles and cheapness here if you don't have to. sure, you can hole up in an isolated property somewhere, but no need to if you have better options.

My guess is that there are a number of "millionaires" from the West who have settled in LOS.  Here, they can live like they are worth $2-3 million (USD).  It would be pure speculation as to what percentage of the total they make up.

4 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

You do know that in Japan, the police come around to everyone's home to verify who is living there, right? At least once or twice a year. They 'say' that it's for safety sake in case of fire or earthquake, but that could be done by paper, and not require a visual contact. I prefer the Thai way.

Comparing Japanese police with Thai police is nothing short of laughable.  As you probably know Japanese police visits have been going on for a long time and are very effective.  Japan has an incredibly low crime rate and their police are highly trained, unlike Thai police.  Japan does not require foreigners to report to immigration every 90 days or have idiotic TM forms to fill out nor do you have to do a visa extension every year.         

14 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

I’m 41 and retired to Pattaya last year. I liquidated everything in Australia, my home amongst them. 

I invested a large chunk of cash in my ASX portfolio which has returned 11%p.a. in the last 3 years plus I have around 7 years living costs in cash should the need arise. 

I have a budget of 70Kthb a month without touching my capital. That pays for rent (24K. Modern 2 bed condo 100m2), utilities, insurance and registration on 3 bikes and 1 car, groceries, dental, visa etc with approx 1000thb a day for whatever. 

I planned for 3 years before relocating, worrying whether it was a good idea, what people would think etc and it’s honestly the best decision I have ever made. 

From the basics you have presented you  look financially sound, just be sure to plan for every eventuality, an for the worst and hope for the best and you’ll never look back. 

good luck! 

On what basis do you stay in Thailand i.e what visa? You're 42 - correct? Elite visa?

47 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

On what basis do you stay in Thailand i.e what visa? You're 42 - correct? Elite visa?

I started off with an METV that I stretched to almost 9 months and I’m currently on non-imm ED.

I was planning on the Thai Elite once I had exhausted my ED eligibility but I met a fantastic girl a year ago and now we’re planning to marry early next year 

14 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

If I were you, I would look at Portugal or even Japan.  Thai Immigration imposes far too many requirements for westerners to live in Thailand.  

These people want 800,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank, they require you to check in with Thai Immgration every 90 days, and demand to submit a TM30 form to immigration within 24 hours everytime you return from any trips where you spent the night in another location.  

May I ask where do you live?

The TM30 is not required for trips inside Thailand at many immigration offices do best to check locally. 90 day reporting takes about 1hr 4 times a year. 

Mid you don’t have 800K to stick in the bank for a rainy day you most definitely shiujd not be moving countries 

9 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

Comparing Japanese police with Thai police is nothing short of laughable.  As you probably know Japanese police visits have been going on for a long time and are very effective.  Japan has an incredibly low crime rate..........

Having lived in Japan for 15 years, I find your comment laughable!

I guess you aren't aware that Japan only reports SOLVED crimes in their statistics, right? But INTERPOL reports that Osaka, Japan sits as #1 in vehicle theft in the World. Exactly how does that fit as 'low crime rate'
You've bought into Japan's wonderful PR propaganda.

7 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

May I ask where do you live?

The TM30 is not required for trips inside Thailand at many immigration offices do best to check locally. 90 day reporting takes about 1hr 4 times a year. 

Mid you don’t have 800K to stick in the bank for a rainy day you most definitely shiujd not be moving countries 

You must be one of those appoligist who think TM forms, 90 day reporting, and having to file for a yearly visa extension is okay.  People who come from western countries generally value their freedom and none of these countries treat Thais the same as Thai Immigration treats their foreign citizens.

As far as depositing 800,000 baht into a Thai bank, it always amuses me when people brag about doing this.  No one with money keeps their funds in Thai banks.  Where do you think Thai government leaders keep their money?

Chiang Mai Immigration enforces all immigration rules and regulations actual or made up to the letter.  However, none of the immigration offices are exempt from corrupt staff members who accept bribes to issue long term visas to people willing to pay visa agencies who participate in these illegal activities.

By your exceptionally poor English writing skills, I presume you are Thai pretending to be a foreigner.  

1 minute ago, CMNightRider said:

You must be one of those appoligist who think TM forms, 90 day reporting, and having to file for a yearly visa extension is okay.  People who come from western countries generally value their freedom and none of these countries treat Thais the same as Thai Immigration treats their foreign citizens.

As far as depositing 800,000 baht into a Thai bank, it always amuses me when people brag about doing this.  No one with money keeps their funds in Thai banks.  Where do you think Thai government leaders keep their money?

Chiang Mai Immigration enforces all immigration rules and regulations actual or made up to the letter.  However, none of the immigration offices are exempt from corrupt staff members who accept bribes to issue long term visas to people willing to pay visa agencies who participate in these illegal activities.

By your exceptionally poor English writing skills, I presume you are Thai pretending to be a foreigner.  

more is the pity that the UK at least does not have the same rules for immigrants and other expats that reside in the UK. They should introduce them. I certainly have no problem with the Thai rules and I don't see why anyone should.  It's a old worn clique on this and other forums, but you know what to do if you don't like it.  The option to leave is always open for those who find it irksome to go to Immigration only 5 or so times in every 12 months.  

21 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Hahaha nice try at baiting me, I’m no apologist. It’s ironic that you call me an apologist while making excuses that things are so much better in your home country so you demand to have the same freedoms and ‘respect’ you are afforded there. News flash, you are no longer home. Petulant child comes to mind. 

There is a large number of people that choose to reside in Thailand but continually bleat about the requirements to do so. I have absolutely zero problem with all requirements as I was well informed before arriving and prepared to adapt if and when there are the inevitable changes. 

Not only do people complain, especially regarding the infamous TM30, most of the time they are regurgitating rubbish information that is plain wrong, just so they can throw their 2c in with the whinging crowd and get a pat on the back because they’re one of the hard done by group. 

How is complying with a financial requirement to comfortably live in your chosen country ‘bragging’. You think relocating to a foreign country and not having $30Kusd to comfortable put aside an intelligent move. Up to you. 

As for parking money in Thai banks, I couldn’t care less where the Thai leaders put there cash, has no bearing on me whatsoever and is a pointless rebuttal. At 1.5% Thai banks are offering much better interest rate that many banks worldwide. 

And for the ‘Thai banks aren’t safe’ blah blah blah, spare me 

Corruption. Again, this has been going on forever in Thailand, the country you CHOSE to live in. Do something about it other than warn everyone off (do as I say, not as I do), deal with it or move on. Or be one of the sheep and <deleted> and fart about complaining with the other ‘higher level thinkers’ on TV. 

Residing in thailand is the same as anything in life, as easy or difficult as you want to make it. You’re free to point the finger and insult anyone that feels it’s easy, up to you. Enjoy your sad existence 

Archived