Farang is NOT impolite word.

Yinn

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/26/2019 at 10:17 AM, luckyluke said:

You have an opinion about the matter, which I respect.

You found a clip on the net of a guy having the same opinion as yourself, you tell us you have some friends which have also the same opinion.

Fair enough, no reason at all to not believe you.

I respect every opinion.

I have a problem however, with the fact that you seems to imply that every Thai has the same opinion about the matter.

Which is impossible to know, you just assume.

There are posters here with different opinions about the matter.

I have my proper opinion, but I respect another poster with a different opinion.

You however claim pertinently that only the ones who are agree with you, are right, the others definitely wrong.

You tell us you are young, and as gender, female. 

I am 71, I have to tell you, that you appear to me as being a very presumptuous young lady.

This being, of course, a personal opinion.

It's not a matter of opinion, you have had it explained to you what the word means in Thai and how Thais use the word. All Thais will tell you the same. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Words often can mean anything depending on context. I am called a Brit, not pejoritively, it's a  word to describe my nationality. However I have been called a "f****** Brit" and that was meant pejoratively. I don't deny that a Thai has used the word farang in the same way, but it's not normal usage. I don't get insulted when a farang calls me "Brit", you shouldn't get insulted when a Thai calls you "ferang".

You have read posts by a couple of ringpieces, who aren't Thai and have their own issues. A couple associate with Hi So Thais who don't use the word. Preobably because they are outright snobs and want to appear more "Western", cultured.

You have heard from one who thinks that this is his forum and obviously resents someone joining the forum who knows a lot more than him about Thai culture and Thailand, in reality, he knows very little and doesn't even speak Thai.

And you call Yinn presumptious? Away with you man!

5 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Thai language can not finish word with “l” sound. 

“L” at start of word ok, but not at the end.

so= centran 

thai language. Up to us.

You can do it.

Just say these words slowly

troll... trawl ...centrawl ...central

See..now i can be your good friend and teacher

????

2 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

It's not a matter of opinion, you have had it explained to you what the word means in Thai and how Thais use the word. All Thais will tell you the same. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Words often can mean anything depending on context. I am called a Brit, not pejoritively, it's a  word to describe my nationality. However I have been called a "f****** Brit" and that was meant pejoratively. I don't deny that a Thai has used the word farang in the same way, but it's not normal usage. I don't get insulted when a farang calls me "Brit", you shouldn't get insulted when a Thai calls you "ferang".

You have read posts by a couple of ringpieces, who aren't Thai and have their own issues. A couple associate with Hi So Thais who don't use the word. Preobably because they are outright snobs and want to appear more "Western", cultured.

You have heard from one who thinks that this is his forum and obviously resents someone joining the forum who knows a lot more than him about Thai culture and Thailand, in reality, he knows very little and doesn't even speak Thai.

And you call Yinn presumptious? Away with you man!

Agreed here.

just one question..what is a ringpiece?

like centrepiece?

is it another offensive word?

3 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Maybe. I not sure. 

Travel not use often, is English word.

but everyone know about Centran.

My wife doesn't pronounce "R" she changes it to "L" as most Thais I know do. Sometimes if the "R" is in the middle of a word, it remains silent, so "Central" becomes "Sentan". Confusing for farangs.

2 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

My wife doesn't pronounce "R" she changes it to "L" as most Thais I know do. Sometimes if the "R" is in the middle of a word, it remains silent, so "Central" becomes "Sentan". Confusing for farangs.

It's confusing for sure,  I know I learned Thai and picked up a speech impediment in the process .......555555

6 minutes ago, pookondee said:

You can do it.

Just say these words slowly

troll... trawl ...centrawl ...central

See..now i can be your good friend and teacher

????

We can say it. 

but thai language law mean the “l” change to “n” if the end of the word. 

I am not allowed to write thai (and charlieh is watching!!!) 

so ask a thai friend about “the monkey letter=ling” at end of the word.

i think I be your teacher.

6 minutes ago, Yinn said:

We can say it. 

Never understood why Thai language have words Thai people cannot pronounce ?

7 minutes ago, Yinn said:

We can say it. 

Thanks, please be my teacher. It's good to hear/read certain things from a local. Especially anything regarding some foreigners who truly believe that money can buy you love.

Have a nice weekend! 

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Never understood why Thai language have words Thai people cannot pronounce ?

Because “inter”

=international! 

Same me why thai band have English name. Because they “inter”!

2 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

There are words in any language that are difficult to pronounce for native speakers of that particular language. 

Can't think of any English words used in everyday conversation that people have a problem with ?

4 minutes ago, Yinn said:

We can say it. 

I learned my Thai on the streets so I speak as a normal Thai. I never say "farang" I always say "falang". I get criticised by farangs who have learned Thai in a school or from a book, because I say falang not farang. When I tell my son to go to school (he's 7 and doesn't speak English), I don't say "bai rong rien", I say "bai long lien". he wouldn't know what I was saying if I said "rong rien".

So who speaks Thai properly? Me or some ringpiece who learnt it in a language school?

7 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I learned my Thai on the streets so I speak as a normal Thai. I never say "farang" I always say "falang". I get criticised by farangs who have learned Thai in a school or from a book, because I say falang not farang. When I tell my son to go to school (he's 7 and doesn't speak English), I don't say "bai rong rien", I say "bai long lien". he wouldn't know what I was saying if I said "rong rien".

So who speaks Thai properly? Me or some ringpiece who learnt it in a language school?

Likewise I learned by listening to others around me too.

That's why I say things like "mai pen lai"  and "aloi " and "Loi baht"  never been misunderstood yet ...5555

7 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Likewise I learned by listening to others around me too.

That's why I say things like "mai pen lai"  and "aloi " and "Loi baht" 

I from the south. Other Thai can not understand us! 5555

Ask you wifes about that.

i can understand Issan a lot. Because have friend and like Issan music the most. But not understand everything.

Just now, CharlieH said:

Ok guys, I know I am just as guilty here, but we are straying off topic for too long now.

Back to topic please, thanks.

Falang or farang!!!

36 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

My apologies. I've eaten many of your little brothers already. 

has anybody else picked up on that ? when I go to a bar on S6 and ask who wants to eat my little brother, they ask for money and a LD. 

Sad to say, but appearantly Farangs and Thais have little common ground for serious discussions exept "is Farang an impolite word" and "is it aprropriate for a Farang to marry a younger Thai Lady". (Long-Term Prostitution).

I was hoping for a more diversified exchange of ideas between Farang/Thai. Quite disappointing, but there are so "few" (we have 1 = ONE!) Thai perticipating here, so a final assessement can not be made.

Archived