Farang is NOT impolite word.

Yinn

42 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Ya sure now? Dont want to be calling someone an evil spirit. and if you dont know their name? So how would I say "thank you auntie" after I get extra food or etc. Other than Kop Kun kap

If they don't know your name it would be apropriate for them to address myself or yourself as "Pee uan"

Although people rarely address me as "pee", invariably "khun". Even my wife always calls me "Khun Peuer" (husband) at all times.

Uan = pumpui = fatty.

For older women I always address them as "Khun Yai" grandmother. It's not disrespectful. A number of young people refer to me as "Khun Ta" grandfather.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, mngmn said:

Midtur is what the 7 Eleven staff call me when they ask 'Midtur you wave'.

lol, ok, got it. Took me a while ????

But to be fair, midtur is actually polite and a nice title. They don't say: Falang, wave ka?

7/11 staff is pretty cool, nice and well training. Most of the time.

You can see that the guy in the video is not correct. He wants to make us believe that Thai's speak in titles to each other, pee and nong, but Mister would be the correct one ... and not farang, if you don't know someones name.

I can live with it though ???? Farang also good for me. I got used to it.

4 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

For older women I always address them as "Khun Yai" grandmother. It's not disrespectful. A number of young people refer to me as "Khun Ta" grandfather.

True that.

Friend of mine doesn't mind Farang at all ... but when the girls call him 'Papa', he freaks out every time ????

2 hours ago, RedPill said:

lol, ok, got it. Took me a while ????

But to be fair, midtur is actually polite and a nice title. They don't say: Falang, wave ka?

7/11 staff is pretty cool, nice and well training. Most of the time.

You can see that the guy in the video is not correct. He wants to make us believe that Thai's speak in titles to each other, pee and nong, but Mister would be the correct one ... and not farang, if you don't know someones name.

I can live with it though ???? Farang also good for me. I got used to it.

Not sure I agree. Try saying 'you want this microwaved mister' in Australia. Perceived as rather rude. 'Sir' would be more appropriate.

I only  get "wave" put as a question. So sometimes  I do if it is a  cute  female. Then I say   yes.

I was once behind Western Tourist ( see how I avoided the F word [emoji51]) in a 7 , he plonked a cheeseburger on the counter and the girl said “ wave “ so he gave her a wave [emoji112],
she probably :

a) had seen this plenty of times already
b) didn’t understand
c) was not in the mood for Benny Hill humour.

so just repeated “ wave “ with the stoniest face I have ever seen .
“ yes, yes “ said Benny ( regretting his attempt at humour).

I swear the back of his neck went from milk bottle white to cherry red in about 5 seconds !!

He scuttled off into the night clutching his burger and a bottle of soya milk quietly cursing her, and probably the whole Thai nation , for not laughing at his schoolboy prank . !!

The moral of this story ??

There isn’t one, I just like to share [emoji853]

On 9/20/2019 at 10:50 AM, Yinn said:

I have explained “you”before. You must pay attention please.

the word “Khun” in thai means Mr. Mrs and you.

A lot of Thai learn very basic English at school. 

So if they see somebody who think can speak English, they are saying “Mr” or “Mrs.” when say you/khun.

If someone say “Khun Ezzra”= “Mr Ezzra”

if they not know your name “Khun” = “sir”

They are NOT trying to be impolite, they are trying to be polite.

And how many member who are still complaining about “farang” really watch the video in OP? It explain it well. It is NOT impolite.

Why can you not understand? Or listen to the other wonderful farang that also say it not impolite. They understand, you not.

Thai people are very polite. good manners. 

Watched the video and the meaning is okay. Basically ferrang =whitey. We all get that. 

But to then equate calling someone whitey as the same as calling someone teacher or Doctor or older  sister brother etc, it's just silly. 

Okay, you may be a whitey and you could argue that people just call you what you are, and obviously in Thailand that's what they do and thai people think there's nothing with that. 

But in most countries if you're in a shop and the staff refer to whitey, or blacky, or the pa££i or the chink, rather than the customer, or the lady gentleman over there etc, there's gonna be a problem. But hey, TIT, and this is the Thai way blah blah blah. 

Well the majority of the world doesn't do this. So who's right and who's wrong? 

Personally IDGAF. 

But it does make Thais look very uneducated, compared to other nationalities. 

Yeah we need to accept that's the way it is here and the video guy is right that there is no point in getting upset about it as that only hurts the people getting upset, but we don't need to like it or think it's charming. Of course the Thai-ier than thou brigade will be celebrating even the most inane aspects of the culture here.

10 hours ago, mngmn said:

Not sure I agree. Try saying 'you want this microwaved mister' in Australia. Perceived as rather rude. 'Sir' would be more appropriate.

Ok ????

In the Philippines, you get the nicer 'Siiir' from the girls all day long ????  

Clearly they have the better and a more 'world open minded' education system in place.

I've worked for many years with lot's of Philippine girls in the Middle East.

It's amazing how they integrate into an multinational office working & living abroad, and know how to communicate correctly with all sorts of different nationalities around.

Thai's don't stand a chance doing anything remotely close to this, with the education system they get here from their government. 

8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I was once behind Western Tourist ( see how I avoided the F word emoji51.png) in a 7 , he plonked a cheeseburger on the counter and the girl said “ wave “ so he gave her a wave emoji112.png,
she probably :

a) had seen this plenty of times already
b) didn’t understand
c) was not in the mood for Benny Hill humour.

so just repeated “ wave “ with the stoniest face I have ever seen .
“ yes, yes “ said Benny ( regretting his attempt at humour).

I swear the back of his neck went from milk bottle white to cherry red in about 5 seconds !!

He scuttled off into the night clutching his burger and a bottle of soya milk quietly cursing her, and probably the whole Thai nation , for not laughing at his schoolboy prank . !!

The moral of this story ??

There isn’t one, I just like to share emoji853.png

Thankyou. lol

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah we need to accept that's the way it is here and the video guy is right that there is no point in getting upset about it.

Great! I happy you understand now. 

I post the video because I see before some Caucasians confused.

if I can make some understand is good for everyone. 

Is not good if caucasions think the thai say bad thing because they not understand.

On 9/22/2019 at 10:57 AM, Jingthing said:

Yeah. You definitely fail. 

If you were thinking about pursuing a career in diplomacy for your Yellow people nation, I suggest you keep your day job.

Maybe i not fail. Now you ok.

On 9/20/2019 at 10:50 PM, Jingthing said:

Yeah sure. Because all western food is same same. Everyone knows that. 

That shows a backwards mentality, sorry. It's like the USA in the 1950's considering "Oriental" food all the same. 

Western food and Asian food have different characteristics. Is not a racism thing. 

You ever watch this one? Is called “Asian Food Channel.” Is quite good one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programs_broadcast_by_Asian_Food_Channel

On 9/20/2019 at 1:27 PM, Jingthing said:

Total B.S. 

So you've never seen a Thai say the F word while scowling and spitting? Do you think the word is polite in that context. Don't bother replying because you've already made it clear you don't want to see the actual realities here.

A week ago you think like this. But now you ok. 

Very good. Hope everyone understand it now.

I not fail.

Thankyou villagefarang, 473geo etc for help explain for everyone. Thankyou Danny Carlton for find the video and post.

Good luck Jingthing!

D225A3E3-BC78-4784-AE65-E390946F52B9.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Hope everyone understand it now. I not fail.

You have an opinion about the matter, which I respect.

You found a clip on the net of a guy having the same opinion as yourself, you tell us you have some friends which have also the same opinion.

Fair enough, no reason at all to not believe you.

I respect every opinion.

I have a problem however, with the fact that you seems to imply that every Thai has the same opinion about the matter.

Which is impossible to know, you just assume.

There are posters here with different opinions about the matter.

I have my proper opinion, but I respect another poster with a different opinion.

You however claim pertinently that only the ones who are agree with you, are right, the others definitely wrong.

You tell us you are young, and as gender, female. 

I am 71, I have to tell you, that you appear to me as being a very presumptuous young lady.

This being, of course, a personal opinion.

So let's all agree that Thais can do and say what they like in their own country, using their own language. But the Thai words used to describe people different to them, seem rather backward when compared to much of the developer world.

Thais of course do not care about this because 'Thailand number one - rest of the world number two'. But be warned, anyone calling me a 'farang' in Australia will get a right verbal lashing and a reminder that we have laws against calling people 'white n*ggers'.

On 9/20/2019 at 12:45 PM, jvs said:

Yinn would you object to being called Asian all the time?

If i'm not mistaken i think farrang means French in modern Thai language so does'nt matter where we come from, if we are white then we're are French to the Thais, so how would Yinn like it jf we called all oriental looking people Chinese or Burmese instead of Thais irregardless of where they actually come from, strangely enough they still call us farrangs when they/Thai people are in our home countries, seemingly unaware that they are the farrangs! 

If i'm not mistaken i think farrang means French in modern Thai language so does'nt matter where we come from, if we are white then we're are French to the Thais, so how would Yinn like it jf we called all oriental looking people Chinese or Burmese instead of Thais irregardless of where they actually come from, strangely enough they still call us farrangs when they/Thai people are in our home countries, seemingly unaware that they are the farrangs! 
You're mistaken.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You have an opinion about the matter, which I respect.

You found a clip on the net of a guy having the same opinion as yourself, you tell us you have some friends which have also the same opinion.

Fair enough, no reason at all to not believe you.

I respect every opinion.

I have a problem however, with the fact that you seems to imply that every Thai has the same opinion about the matter.

Which is impossible to know, you just assume.

There are posters here with different opinions about the matter.

I have my proper opinion, but I respect another poster with a different opinion.

You however claim pertinently that only the ones who are agree with you, are right, the others definitely wrong.

You tell us you are young, and as gender, female. 

I am 71, I have to tell you, that you appear to me as being a very presumptuous young lady.

This being, of course, a personal opinion.

I don't respect every opinion. So for example if someone says something very racist then what is there to respect? This may seem trivial but I think its a big deal. There is often an impulse to regard different opinions as inherently equivalent in value. But in my view quite often they are not. It makes things messy sometimes but so is life.

Of course.

It was to show that if we take into account the intention to make sense of the words we can make them say everything and its opposite.

For the vast majority of Thais we are farangs.

This word is not insulting as Yinn pointed out.

I asked the Thais of my entourage who confirmed : Farang is not an insult or even a derogatory term.

End of the debate for me.
I was talking in general but I've heard farang used enough with a negative connotation to believe that it's in a transition phase of being sometimes neutral and sometimes a slur.

On 9/23/2019 at 11:55 AM, DannyCarlton said:

It's Cockney rhyming slang. It's not likening Americans to septic tanks. It just happens to rhyme with Yank.

Nowhere near as bad as Yanks referring to Thais as gooks, a word I still hear Americans using in bars around Pattaya today.

You must not of heard the Australian explanation

????

I wont go into to much detail..suffice to say

something about septic tanks-full of shเt

????

1 hour ago, maxcorrigan said:

If i'm not mistaken i think farrang means French in modern Thai language

You mistaken.

French is farangset. 

Farang is caucasian.

different word. 

1 hour ago, maxcorrigan said:

so does'nt matter where we come from, if we are white then we're are French to the Thais, so how would Yinn like it jf we called all oriental looking people Chinese or Burmese instead of Thais irregardless of where they actually come from, strangely enough they still call us farrangs when they/Thai people are in our home countries, seemingly unaware that they are the farrangs! 

= caucasion. 

Just now, pookondee said:

Hey Nong you forgot the best one

CenSHUN

Even the sign spells it CenTRAL

Cen-T-R-A-L

You got it?

????????????

Thai language can not finish word with “l” sound. 

“L” at start of word ok, but not at the end.

so= centran 

thai language. Up to us.

Archived