Farang is NOT impolite word.

Yinn

23 minutes ago, Yinn said:
4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

About gringo.

You grossly mischaracterized what I wrote about it before.

I think the use of gringo in Latin America is a very close approximation to the use of farang in Thailand.

In Mexico, gringo is DEFINITELY a derogatory term. No doubt.

In Ecuador and Colombia it is not a derogatory term and so it's like farang if you actually believe that farang is not a derogatory term in Thailand.

My opinion is that in reality, in actual USAGE, farang is in the middle. Sometimes derogatory and sometimes not. So it's not surprising that many people are polarized on this question. Some arguing it's never derogatory and others arguing it's always derogatory by definition.

No, it is not that black and white.

(To complicate this further, some of the people that fit the gringo definition in Colombia and Ecuador KNOWING that it is derogatory in Mexico which is a very large country, perceive gringo as derogatory everywhere. It's possible that over time gringo could develop into a derogatory term in Colombia and Ecuador based on negative feelings towards the gringos, but I think it's impossible for gringo in Mexico to develop into a neutral word.)

Drama Queen 

Looks like Ms. Yinn has JT pegged.   

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Not at all offensive. I always take it as a term of endearment. Never heard it used pejorativly.

Wow. Now I am scratching my head at what you think and really perceive as offensive. I only heard Limey mostly only as derogatory all my life. It actually comes very close to Farang in my book. Now Pom was easier and then Pommy was a bit harder but all still ok, and I am American with a parent family member from down under.

On 9/20/2019 at 12:35 PM, ezzra said:

I take umbrage to being shouted at ' you you' than being addressed as a farang, kinda complimenting me as being French...

"You you" sounds like a driect translation from how they would address you in Thai. 

Just now, holy cow cm said:

Wow. Now I am scratching my head at what you think and really perceive as offensive. I only heard Limey mostly only as derogatory all my life. It actually comes very close to Farang in my book. Now Pom was easier and then Pommy was a bit harder but all still ok, and I am American with a parent family member from down under.

It's a reference to British sailors who ate limes on a long journey to stave off scurvey. What's offensive about that?

17 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Gook (/ˈɡk/ or /ˈɡʊk/) is a derogatory term for certain people of East and Southeast Asian descent. The slur is frequently directed toward foreigners, especially people of Filipino, Korean, or Vietnamese descent.[1] It was originally predominantly used by the U.S. military during wartime, especially during the Korean War, and more so during the Vietnam War.

i still not cry. Thailand is in SEA. No problem.

nah...if someone is using that word,

its definitely a bitter aggressive american,

steer clear

2 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

It's a reference to British sailors who ate limes on a long journey to stave off scurvey. What's offensive about that?

Rum, Sodomy and the Lash, Limey. ????  ????

By the way, think of the Scots calling foreigners Sassenach (Saxon).

I think reading this thread Brits are not easily offended, you can call us anything !!

Americans tend to be the bigger drama queens, not all obviously, NCC is one who can take a joke, not actually sure he’s a septic, could be a closet limey [emoji848]

1 minute ago, brokenbone said:

nah...if someone is using that word,

its definitely a bitter aggressive american,

steer clear

Exactly. My personal gig is you can think anyway you want, but be polite about it. But words are such a political/social construct anyway, especially in the States, where certain words are deemed taboo simply because some alleged marginalized group says so, while other words, even when used derogatorily, are not. Then you have the difference in Countries, even in English.

5 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Wisconsin potsticker

Damn dude, is that some wierd British dish, like a Limey Pierogi or something? Where do you get one? Bet it has Cheddar in it, right? Little potsticker wrapper filled with cheddar and browned in a wok....and...and....a bacon/soy thick dipping sauce, like sort of the hideous brown poop you Cockneys put on stuff but with that sweet fatty flavour like the sauce in the Baked Goong with Glass Noodles.

Wow, am I right?

4 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

AKA Redneck.

a derogatory, rascist term for a poor caucasian-american who fails to share the political beliefs of his so called betters. Perfectly acceptable in certain circles, same as if you are the PM of Canada and wish to parade about in blackface.

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Damn dude, is that some wierd British dish, like a Limey Pierogi or something? Where do you get one? Bet it has Cheddar in it, right? Little potsticker wrapper filled with cheddar and browned in a wok....and...and....a bacon/soy thick dipping sauce, like sort of the hideous brown poop you Cockneys put on stuff but with that sweet fatty flavour like the sauce in the Baked Goong with Glass Noodles.

Wow, am I right?

Close but no cigar.

http://wisconsinfromscratch.com/journal/2014/3/25/32514-pork-bok-choy-and-scallion-potstickers

image.png.243e5d1f3b945ba9f2cbf18c0cd8112c.png

6 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

a derogatory, rascist term for a poor caucasian-american who fails to share the political beliefs of his so called betters. Perfectly acceptable in certain circles, same as if you are the PM of Canada and wish to parade about in blackface.

Yep. Same as gook being a derogatory racist term for a Thai girl. Perfectly acceptable for rednecks.

9 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Yep. Same as gook being a derogatory racist term for a Thai girl. Perfectly acceptable for rednecks.

Dude to be honest, you can count on the fingers of one hand (percentage wise) the number of actual rascist folks in the USA that will say something really rascist or derogatory in public because folks are more polite in the USA. I have never heard anybody using the word gook in 30 years in the USA, except on a bro heavy construction site, among bros.

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Dude to be honest, you can count on the fingers of one hand (percentage wise) the number of actual rascist folks in the USA that will say something really rascist or derogatory in public because folks are more polite in the USA. I have never heard anybody using the word gook in 30 years in the USA, except on a bro heavy construction site, among bros.

I've heard it several times in bars in Pattaya.

Archived