Dengue Vaccine

alphason

Recently had Dengue for the first time,

I asked at the hospital about the vaccine and was told I could have it in about 3 months, costs around 10,000 for a course of 3 shots.

Its only about 65% effective but I think I read that if you do get it again it should be milder after the jab (?). 

Now I am being extra vigilant about getting bitten in the first place, but that will probably wear off in time.

Anyone had the jab or can offer any advice? Thanks

Had dengue several years back...had it bad...lost two weeks of my life...barely able to get to the bathroom and back I was so weak and achy.  Weak for weeks and months after...

I was told just the opposite of you...that dengue is cumlative and should be avoided at all costs...

Can't be too careful...????

dengue vaccine is advised to those who have already had a medically confirmed dengue infection.

partial immunity leads to worse outcome. that's why they say that the second time you got a dengue infection will be worse than first time.

Thanks for replies, as its quite a new vaccine I was just trying to find out a bit more.

Dengue was medically confirmed, it came on very suddenly. Next day at the hospital the nurses doing the initial obs sent me straight to ER wouldn't even let me walk. I had to return every day for 8 days for blood tests, ER wanted to admit me if platelets went below 100,000, the normal Dr was ok with me resting at home although it was close when platelets reached a low point of 52,000. For the next week or so was tired and weak but slowly recovering. I understand its worse if you get it a second time, so was looking into this vaccine.

20 minutes ago, alphason said:

Thanks for replies, as its quite a new vaccine I was just trying to find out a bit more.

Dengue was medically confirmed, it came on very suddenly. Next day at the hospital the nurses doing the initial obs sent me straight to ER wouldn't even let me walk. I had to return every day for 8 days for blood tests, ER wanted to admit me if platelets went below 100,000, the normal Dr was ok with me resting at home although it was close when platelets reached a low point of 52,000. For the next week or so was tired and weak but slowly recovering. I understand its worse if you get it a second time, so was looking into this vaccine.

you are eligible for this vaccine

if finance is not the problem, i would totally recommend it

Archived