Another TM30 Thread (Holiday to Pattaya)

stevekrabi

I'll keep it brief but I'm just doing a month in Pattaya soon... Loads of threads on TM30 issues already I know but I want to hear your thoughts on something I never hear people talking about;

I will be renting a condo for 1 month from a friend and I know already it's gonna be an <deleted> to do the TM30 reporting. Obviously, in a hotel, it's dead easy and not given a second thought.

Does it really matter though? From what I can gather, people only get issues from not reporting TM30 when they go to extend their stay or do a 90 day report.

Since my stay is only 1 month and won't require me to extend the stay or anything like that, I can't see any issues arising.

Would I get pulled up on my way out of Thailand (in the airport for example) for not filing it?

The TM.30 is not your responsibility. It's the responsibility of the condo owner, your friend.

You may need to file a TM.28 notifying Immigrations that you have changed your address, but apparently that's only enforced in some districts but not all.

That's my understanding of the TM.30 / TM.28 conundrum anyway.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, billsmart said:

The TM.30 is not your responsibility. It's the responsibility of the condo owner, your friend.

You may need to file a TM.28 notifying Immigrations that you have changed your address, but apparently that's only enforced in some districts but not all.

Why would he need to notify of change of address if he’s staying in the one place?

Don’t worry at all about the TM30 - it’s not your responsibility.

I would slightly more concerned you are only renting for a month- which of course is illegal.

My Condominium is totally strict who they let in- reasonable enough - you would not be allowed into the building.

Good Luck 

2 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

I would slightly more concerned you are only renting for a month

When staying in Pattaya, I stay in a Condotel ( legally a condominium, operating as a hotel)

renting start from 1 week, nothing illegal.

Management take care of the TM30,

on line.

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

When staying in Pattaya, I stay in a Condotel ( legally a condominium, operating as a hotel)

renting start from 1 week, nothing illegal.

Management take care of the TM30,

on line.

Yes, that's not a condominium so your short-term stay is legal.

15 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

Why would he need to notify of change of address if he’s staying in the one place?

MadMuhammad, I assumed he's living somewhere now and is going to go to Pattaya to rent his friends condo for a month. So, I assume he's changing his address. If he's outside of Thailand now and just coming in to live at his friend's condo for a month, then that's a different situation.

Again, all of this is just IMO in which I am trying to make some sense out of the TM.30 / TM.28 rules I read.

• Like 1

OP, you need to confirm whether or not you are living in Thailand.

Your avatar is "stevekrabi" which may be leading some members to assume you are living in Krabi, but coming to Pattaya for a 1 month holiday, but when I read the OP, I get the impression you don't live in Thailand.

My understanding of the TM30 is, if you are not living in Thailand, and will be leaving after 1 month, and will be entering on a 30 visa exemption, or 60 day tourist visa, there is nothing to worry about.

If you are living somewhere else in Thailand, or are on a retirement visa, which may trigger the need for a 90 day report when you enter Thailand, your friend will need to do a TM30 on your behalf, and if you do live in Krabi, you will have to arrange another TM30 when you go back to Krabi. 

19 hours ago, billsmart said:

He's staying in a friend's place, so why would he not do it for his friend?

Anyway, as long as one doesn't come to the attention of the authorities, one doesn't need to. Have an accident and the police are called- that becomes a problem.

Anyway, what's the big deal- just go to immigration day after arrive and file it. No charge.

16 hours ago, peterb17 said:

I would slightly more concerned you are only renting for a month- which of course is illegal.

My Condominium is totally strict who they let in- reasonable enough - you would not be allowed into the building.

Good Luck 

???????????

Renting a month or more is legal. It's illegal for less than a month.

16 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Good Luck 

Live at the Base do you?????

from what i hear it is only checked if you need to go into an actual immigration office, not at the border control, as airport or anywhere else.

i will report back here if i get questioned anywhere else about it. so far its a non-issue for me.

if it becomes a problem in other areas will start seriously re-thinking stay here as i move around a lot and filing the form frequently or having it filed by others is not a realistic option for me, plus i dont like the thought of being watched that closely, dont even like places with night guards, reception etc.

part of the reason i came over from the usa is to get away from this type of thing and feel more freedom without being watched and tight regulations everywhere.

Edited by fhickson