Told I need a Tourist Visa next time I come. Is it mandatory?

Hello, 

I tried searching this but my searches came up empty. If this is already covered in other threads, please forgive me. I would appreciate any viewpoints or information about this, as I read elsewhere that being told I need a visa is just part of a computer alert to immigration officers for people who stay a certain total number of days in Thailand over an unknown period of time. I am curious what others have done after getting this alert. I am sorry about the length.

Backstory: My father retired to Thailand a long time ago, married a Thai woman, and has been with her for decades in Bangkok. He prefers to stay in Thailand and rarely ever comes to the USA, where we are from (we both hold US passports). If I want to see him I usually must come to Thailand, which is fine by me when I have money and/or time to do so. I come here just for him and usually stay at his house or he rents me something in his building where we can meet daily. I am not working here, just taking some college courses online and hanging with my old man. I use his address and also have scans of my Thai stepmom's ID and other information in case it helps my case for entry.

I last came at the end of 2017 on a 60-day tourist visa and stayed a little less than 6 months total, using extensions and Visa Exempt entries by doing land-border crossings to carry me into 2018. I left the country and went back to the USA and other places, and then returned to Thailand this year after over a year being outside the country. This time, I arrived with another 60-day tourist visa and was stamped through by the officer almost instantly while she was deep in conversation with her desk mate. I got an extension on the TV and then, after about 80 days here, I left Thailand to go on a 12-day holiday to another country in Asia.

From 2017 through 2019, I've had two single-entry Tourist Visas. I have zero Visa Exempt entries in 2019, two for 2018 (only one of which was extended), and zero for 2017. My only visit prior to that was three weeks in 2015 on Visa Exempt. My current passport has one Visa Exempt stamp from early 2018 and my TV from this year, as I replaced the passport in 2018.

When I returned to Thailand a few days ago, I arrived at BKK airport and the immigration officer looked over my passport and asked "why do you long stay?" I told him my father is married to a Thai woman and lives here and he is getting old and wants to see me more, so I live with him in Bangkok. He immediately replied "then you go get tourist visa. When do you leave?" I've always purchased cheap tickets to have something to show if I am ever asked this question, so I showed him a ticket that leaves a few days before the 30 days Visa Exempt expires, even though I don't plan to use the ticket. He said about three more times to me "next time you get tourist visa!" and stamped me and let me go. I had arrived in Bangkok in late June on an extended TV and then returned here a few days ago on a Visa Exempt, thinking that would be fine for my remaining time here in Thailand with my dad, leaving after the first week of December.

My problem is this: I am in Bangkok now with my dad and I want to stay about 75 days before leaving and not returning to Thailand next year because of a program that starts in January. My original plan (before I was told to get a visa for next time) is that I would stay about 60 days on an extended Visa Exempt entry (the entry I am currently on), then do a border trip to Cambodia for another Visa Exempt entry, and then leave here about 15 days after that, not needing another extension.

The border crossing I go to is generally very relaxed, but I am not sure if they will: 1. ignore that I don't have a Tourist Visa, 2. interrogate me (though I can show all proof of my story and onward travel by that time, so I am not worried about that), 3. react the same was the officer a few days ago and/or 4. then bar me from entry to Thailand for the last leg of my visit. I currently don't have the option to forgo the last "in and out" and quit Thailand earlier than planned. I am not sure what to do.

My questions: Due to vastly varied attitudes and moods between immigration officers, is being told I need a tourist visa for my next entry an ultimatum or a suggestion? Has anyone else been told they must get a tourist visa next time they enter? What did you do? Did you return without a tourist visa and try another Visa Exempt? If I have proof of onward flight (and a rental agreement, etc., in my next destination), do you think would they accept that and let me do a final Visa exempt visit before I go onward?

I appreciate any suggestions or help offered. Thank you for reading this.

1 hour ago, verysimple said:

My problem is this: I am in Bangkok now with my dad and I want to stay about 75 days before leaving and not returning to Thailand next year because of a program that starts in January. My original plan (before I was told to get a visa for next time) is that I would stay about 60 days on an extended Visa Exempt entry (the entry I am currently on), then do a border trip to Cambodia for another Visa Exempt entry, and then leave here about 15 days after that, not needing another extension.

The border crossing I go to is generally very relaxed, but I am not sure if they will: 1. ignore that I don't have a Tourist Visa, 2. interrogate me (though I can show all proof of my story and onward travel by that time, so I am not worried about that), 3. react the same was the officer a few days ago and/or 4. then bar me from entry to Thailand for the last leg of my visit. I currently don't have the option to forgo the last "in and out" and quit Thailand earlier than planned. I am not sure what to do.

It shouldn't be a problem to extend 30 days then do a border run to obtain another 30 day Visa exempt.

Only 2 x VE entries allowed in one year at borders, but otherwise they are far more relaxed about entries than at the airports.

1 hour ago, verysimple said:

My questions: Due to vastly varied attitudes and moods between immigration officers, is being told I need a tourist visa for my next entry an ultimatum or a suggestion? Has anyone else been told they must get a tourist visa next time they enter? What did you do? Did you return without a tourist visa and try another Visa Exempt? If I have proof of onward flight (and a rental agreement, etc., in my next destination), do you think would they accept that and let me do a final Visa exempt visit before I go onward?

More a warning and he's probably noted it on the computer, so trying a further entry VE this year via airport would probably result in a refusal of entry. 

Depending on your age, (50+) for the future, consider obtaining the Non O-A Visa from the US. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was told something similar several years ago.

This is a computerized immigration network there is a very good chance you were flagged in their system regarding the warning by the IO.  That is what happened to me.

So, decide what is the clearest, cleanest and safest way for you to deal with it in the future.

16 hours ago, stevenl said:

Agree with Tanoshi, extending your stay first and after that leaving Thailand and returning again via a land border will not cause any problems.

Why take the chance of getting denied?  It's ultimately up to the IO and land borders can turn you away easier than airports can.  If they say get a visa, just go get a visa.

I got the same warning after 2 hour interview at Chaing Mai airport  I did a lot of research and decided to get and now have  a Non Immigrant OA visa in Uk as suggested above for peace of mind I didn’t think it’s worth the risk but your call.Best of luck.

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

why don't you look into piggy-backing on your dad's retirement visa as a dependant? then just get re-entry permits.

barring that as a possibility, go the O-A or Elite route

Is he 20 years old or younger? Twenty is the age limit to get that.

At some embassies and consulates they might issue a single entry non-o visa for him to visit his father.