Pattaya - My Experiences.....

HowardJohnson

I just wanted to advise you of several non-events since I have lived here over the last 4 months.

I have been to McDonalds several times and have never had anything but good service, even the occasional smile.

I have been to Subway twice and have had a receipt giving the correct amount and, again, good efficient service.

I have had staff in 7-11 being polite and joking with me. Even trying to teach me how to ask for things in Thai.

I have staggered along 2nd Road at 3am and been approached by 3 lady boys (Could hardly call them that really as all they had was long hair, makeup and women’s clothes). After a few minutes chat we parted company, smiling and joking and I still had my wallet and did not suddenly find myself staggering from the effects of an attempted drugging.

I have NEVER seen an obviously under age girl or boy with a Farang (Or Thai for that matter).

I have witnessed several road accidents involving Farangs and Thais and have never seen it become anything more than the usual swapping of information. Although, I did see a Thai in a pick up truck hit a poor Thai girl on her motorbike on Sukhumvit. I have to say I don’t think she made it.

Whilst driving and waiting to pull out onto a road, I have occasionally been waved out by a smiling Thai person behind the wheel. When I have allowed somebody to pull in front of me, I have also got an appreciative wave in return.

The beach Hawkers leave me in peace after a polite “Mai ow kap”. The vendors are polite and always asking how I and the family are. The staff in my local bar always seems genuinely pleased to see me and will set aside time to speak to me and my girlfriend.

When I recently moved house, 4 motorbike taxi boys came to help us shift the stuff into the truck. 200 baht each and a nice cold Chang and they were very happy. Again, laughing and joking with me and the girlfriend. There was also a profuse apology for breaking a piece of furniture.

I suppose the reason I wanted to post this is because I am getting increasingly frustrated by all the bad news that is coming out of the town I live in, when it really is not my experience at all. I have just seen the post from The Hedonist and he seems to have had the same experiences. With the internet and fast access to news, combined with the human need to “slow down to see an accident” all we seem to get is bad news.

Perhaps we should have another sub forum – “Something unremarkable happened to me in Pattaya today.” Where we can post all the little stories of good news that help to offset the crappy side of life in Pattaya.

Whilst I think of it, why is the Pattaya forum the only one to have a news clippings sub section? Surely, this just adds to the impression that our fair city is, as some have quoted “A hole”. Sorry, no offence Libya, I read the clippings as much as the next person, but if all you see everyday is bad news then that’s how you will perceive the place to be.

I’m not really expecting a debate out of this and I certainly don’t want it to turn into another Pattaya bashing thread. I just wanted to say my piece.

HoJo

Nice post Howard.

From one local to another I can certainly echo your sentiments. Pattaya can be a wonderful place to live.

By the way, the Pattaya News sub-forum was an idea that was suggested to forum admin, discussed in the mods forum, and agreed on.

We've had no complaints yet.

Hi Howard, I couldn't agree with you more on the friendliness of Pattaya. The thing is that when you are away from Pattaya back home you tend to read the news stories more, at least I do. What then happens is that you start to have "unfounded doubts" of your own fond memories. That is what probably prompted you to write THIS THREAD last year.

I have been coming back to Pattaya for many years now and will continue to do so. I will be enjoying my 6 Months there again very soon, will visit all my old haunts and say hello to all my good mates, really miss the joint.

Cheers for now. :o

Been all over Thailand, and Pattaya rock's.

Bangkok ... Stinky, dirty and rat infested.

Phuket ... Super expensive, and aggressive people.

Chiang Mai ... Ok but a bit boring. Nice girls though.

Chiang Rai ... Even more boring.

Hua Hin ... Ok if you're into collecting seashells.

Issan Cities ... Why would you go there ? Yeah we know ...

Your wife talked you into building a house on the family land . :o

The far south ... Cos you've got a death wish.

Central ... Well nobody ever goes there ... Do they ?

Nuff said.

Naka.

Edited by naka

Been all over Thailand and Pattaya rock's.

Nuff said.

Naka.

Just spent a few days in Hua Hin , to go to the beach (ironic?) as a getaway from Pattaya.

It was nice , but after a few days my wife and young family were ready to brave Pattaya again.

Pattaya has a magnetic draw on some.

For years my wife and I came to Pattaya on holiday and feel in love with the place, yes... warts an all! :D In 2005 we retired out here and have experienced nothing to change our minds. :D Pattaya is our home now and like everyone who is a local here it saddens us :o when some people who post rubbishing Pattaya are just those sad people who have nothing else to do.

Why don't they get a life we have found ours here in Pattaya and we are very happy with it.

Begsa

I'll chip in my bit Hojo.

Great thread ! seen all these things many times over on repeated occasions.

But then I am also biased, been to most other major cities in Thailand, and good or bad, I just love Pattaya !!

:D:D:o:D

I just wanted to advise you of several non-events since I have lived here over the last 4 months.

I have been to McDonalds several times and have never had anything but good service, even the occasional smile.

I have been to Subway twice and have had a receipt giving the correct amount and, again, good efficient service.

I have had staff in 7-11 being polite and joking with me. Even trying to teach me how to ask for things in Thai.

I have staggered along 2nd Road at 3am and been approached by 3 lady boys (Could hardly call them that really as all they had was long hair, makeup and women's clothes). After a few minutes chat we parted company, smiling and joking and I still had my wallet and did not suddenly find myself staggering from the effects of an attempted drugging.

I have NEVER seen an obviously under age girl or boy with a Farang (Or Thai for that matter).

I have witnessed several road accidents involving Farangs and Thais and have never seen it become anything more than the usual swapping of information. Although, I did see a Thai in a pick up truck hit a poor Thai girl on her motorbike on Sukhumvit. I have to say I don't think she made it.

Whilst driving and waiting to pull out onto a road, I have occasionally been waved out by a smiling Thai person behind the wheel. When I have allowed somebody to pull in front of me, I have also got an appreciative wave in return.

The beach Hawkers leave me in peace after a polite "Mai ow kap". The vendors are polite and always asking how I and the family are. The staff in my local bar always seems genuinely pleased to see me and will set aside time to speak to me and my girlfriend.

When I recently moved house, 4 motorbike taxi boys came to help us shift the stuff into the truck. 200 baht each and a nice cold Chang and they were very happy. Again, laughing and joking with me and the girlfriend. There was also a profuse apology for breaking a piece of furniture.

I suppose the reason I wanted to post this is because I am getting increasingly frustrated by all the bad news that is coming out of the town I live in, when it really is not my experience at all. I have just seen the post from The Hedonist and he seems to have had the same experiences. With the internet and fast access to news, combined with the human need to "slow down to see an accident" all we seem to get is bad news.

Perhaps we should have another sub forum – "Something unremarkable happened to me in Pattaya today." Where we can post all the little stories of good news that help to offset the crappy side of life in Pattaya.

Whilst I think of it, why is the Pattaya forum the only one to have a news clippings sub section? Surely, this just adds to the impression that our fair city is, as some have quoted "A hole". Sorry, no offence Libya, I read the clippings as much as the next person, but if all you see everyday is bad news then that's how you will perceive the place to be.

I'm not really expecting a debate out of this and I certainly don't want it to turn into another Pattaya bashing thread. I just wanted to say my piece.

HoJo

Yeah! So why has it got such a bad reputation?

...I wonder who will be the first Pattaya Basher to step up to the plate then? :D

Don't worry... he won't last long... :D

Attaboy JD :D

The power of positive thought is a great thing aint it :o

Great thread. Agree with all of the comments above...

...I wonder who will be the first Pattaya Basher to step up to the plate then? :o

why bash pattaya!! everyone to his own, over the last 45 years got to know thailand pretty well, and we still like to visit the families who we made friends with in the 60,s everytime we go back there is something new to see ,we enjoy showing our friends and family around pattaya, and let them be amazed by the friendly and good natured reception they recieve from the thai locals :D Nignoy

Yeah! So why has it got such a bad reputation?

This is part of what I am saying. Who creates a reputation? Surely, a reputation is nothing more than a persons opinion of a locale or another person?

I know several people with good and bad reputations but when I have met them I have formed my own opinions, whether that matched the reputation or not.

Reputations are based on hearsay and somebodies perceptions, which are not necessarily the truth.

Each to their own and I have no problem with people who don't want to come here. My experiences have differed from a lot of other people. Perhaps that says more about me as a person rather than the town itself. Who knows?

great post howard,ive been tp pattaya twice.first in 2006,i stayed for 10 weeks and then i spent new years eve 06/07 on jomtien beach with my thai friends.i stayed for 4 weeks.

just been reading a thread on another forum titled'pattayas a hole' what a load of carp.

if he wants to know what a hole is,he should come to england.i lost my job here in feb and cant find one because of the overcrowding here in good old awjustletthemallcomeliveherland. chock dee.

Pattaya's less than sparkling reputation is fueled (IMO) by the local sensationalist media who continually report only doom and gloom and blood and guts. Do you think that if the cameras didn't turn up at every incident they hear on their police band radios that maybe the dozens of police, who turn up in their neatly starched uniforms trying to get their photo in the paper or on TV, might actually get some policing done ?

The most annoying thing about Pattaya is farangs who have negative opinions about the place but don't even know how to pronounce its name. The accent is on the last syllable, the ya, not on the first a or the second a as many think.

Next thing your going to tell me there is no 'eye' or 'aye' sound in the middle :o:D

Great thread. Agree with all of the comments above...

...I wonder who will be the first Pattaya Basher to step up to the plate then? :o

why bash pattaya!! everyone to his own, over the last 45 years got to know thailand pretty well, and we still like to visit the families who we made friends with in the 60,s everytime we go back there is something new to see ,we enjoy showing our friends and family around pattaya, and let them be amazed by the friendly and good natured reception they recieve from the thai locals :D Nignoy

'Nignoy', my sentiments precisely. I have lived here for over a decade and am constantly amazed by certain posters that seem to delight in bashing Pattaya. If they live here and insist on bashing Pattaya at every opportunity as some do then why don't they move; it is really that simple.

For those that do not live here but insist on posting at every available opportunity derogatory remarks then why bother? Why bother wasting their time on a city that has no relevance to their lives?

Notwithstanding there are many things wrong with Pattaya from the Administration at City Hall, corruption and so forth but as you say ''everyone to his own''. I for one will not be moving from here anytime soon. :D

I've responded to Pattaya-bashers on this Forum before......and I'll include my contribution again, just for good measure.

Foreign TV channels and tabloid newspapers, have vilified the resort of Pattaya. Pattaya, very much like London, Amsterdam or New York, is a multi-ethnic, cosmopolitan and vibrant city, with its own distinct and individual character. Like people, there is good and bad in every city and it is naïve to place judgment on a city, or a person, based on the negative aspects of this character, especially as portrayed by some of the aforementioned media. Pattaya deserves a comment on its character from the people who have chosen to reside here, to work here and who have no financial or other Brownie points to win.

I live in Jomtien, Pattaya. I chose Pattaya after considering carefully the alternatives. That was my choice after living and working elsewhere in Thailand. I live here because I like it here. I have no misconceptions about Pattaya and, once again, I exercise choice on what I do and where I go. I would do this no matter where I lived, Pattaya, London, New York or Sydney. The important point is that I have so much to choose from. Maybe that is why “visitors” (families, couples, senior citizens and singles of course) from all corners of the globe come back year after year, in the face of the often heard comment “Can’t imagine why anyone would want to visit Pattaya”.

There is a decent and established infrastructure here. Hospitals, hotels, communications, shopping are probably second only to Bangkok, which itself can be reached in a couple of hours on motorway standard roads. International schools are arguably the best in Thailand. Cinemas would satisfy the most ardent of movie fans. The area is a golfer’s paradise with 19 superb golf courses nearby. The gourmets amongst us are spoiled for choice; we could eat well and cheaply in a different restaurant every day of the year. There are the endless white pristine beaches of Rayong, within an hours’ drive, even surpassing those of Phuket. I accept that Pattaya beach has some way to go before it can be called anything near pristine but it is getting better. Jomtien beach, on the other hand, provides 14 kilometres of clean windsurfing and sailing waters. For those who want the security and comfort of expat societies, they are here in abundance. Pattaya makes an all-out attempt to provide the best of everything.

Last, but by no means least, there is the night life….clubs, discos, girlie bars and go-go bars. Choice is the by-word here. You partake or you don’t, there is no obligation. For those of you who haven’t seen the sleazy equivalents in Soho, Amsterdam, Hamburg or Lisbon, in comparison, Pattaya is Disney Land when it comes to the sex scene. If the night life centres of Pattaya are somewhat brash and noisy for some, there are alternative, quieter places for evening fun and relaxation.

Pattaya is NOT a “hel_l on Earth”. Simply, it’s a case of If you have never tried it then don’t knock it. Maybe, if you do try it, you might find it a “Heaven on Earth”, as the majority of visitors and residents do.

Artisan

Edited by Artisan

My new house in the lovely Pong if now finished. My wife and I can think of no where else we would like to be. She is chinese and loves golf and the idea of having a garden to grow her own herbs and spices, Me, I dream of chang as the sun goes down over lake Mabprachan ( in fact i think of Chang just about anywhere )....lovely.

There IS more to Pattaya than Walking Street, you just have to open your eyes and your mind and leave your predudice on the plane.

• 2 weeks later...

Great post HoJo, almost everything you listed I'd experience on an almost daily basis (apart from the moving house bit), even getting chatted up by ladyboys at 3am :o

I love the place and the people, the way of life seems so relaxed and it costs nothing to have a laugh and joke with a Thai person.. You can joke with them even if you've never met them before, and then 3 days later they'll wave or suprise you in Big C or Mikes, from the obvious girls, to the security guards, even the street vendors. I've made so many friends in Pattaya and cant wait to get back out there and see them again,

I had my arm twisted by a mate who'd been going to Patts for a couple of years, said if I didnt enjoy it he'd pay for my holiday so i took him up on the offer, this was last year I've been 3 times os far and have 2 more planned for this year. I dont think I'll go anywhere else now.

Spent a night in BKK in March and couldnt get on with it, was expecting so much from Nana and Cowboy and IMO a big let down

Give me a smiling face in Patts anyday

EDIT - just read back and someone asked about the reputation? A friend in the UK who's only ventured as far out as Spain constantly winds me up for going to Thailand for one thing and one thing only, I guess his opinion on a place 6000 miles away (that he's never been to) is based on what he reads in the Sun or News Of The World paper.. must allllllllllllllll be true :D

Edited by glenbat

The OP is the most refreshing thing I have read on this forum in months. Thank you. I agree with every letter of your post and look forward to many years in Pattaya experiencing the same warm welcome I have always gotten here.

Cheers,

Steve (Formerly Ireland)

bought a place in classic homes end of september last year after 5 years of the hotel thing,short of it was paid cash etc got A/Cs thrown in came back december with girlfriend(Thai) no A/Cs one call later the good lady who owns the estate turns up apologising profusly for the mix up puts me up in a hotel for the night and A/Cs fitted by lunchtime next day,the folks on the estate nearly all thais came by at some point during the day greet me .

would you get that kind of service anywhere else in the world.

PATTAYA BASHERS SIT ON IT AND SPIN