Border crossing.Do I need an ongoing ticket

I am leaving Thailand for Laos for a few days and hope to return to Thailand on a tourist visa (30-day) at Muktahan border crossing Would Thai Immigration need to see an ongoing air ticket? Would having 20,000 Baht in my wallet be OK instead of a ticket. Actually, I am leaving on the last day of my Non-B visa which will expire the day I leave. But just want  a few weeks to figure out what i want to do.

They will not ask for ticket out of the country at that crossing. It is seldom asked for at other crossings.

Same for showing 10k baht in cash (visa exempt entry requirement).

If you actually have a extension of stay issued by immigration and not a 90 day entry from a non-b visa they may asked to see a termination letter a the Mukdahan crossing before you leave the country.

I am not sure I follow despite your fine replies. I might not have explained my self very well. My Non-B( for work) expires  in 2 days. On the last day, the day it expires, I am going to exit Thailand at one of many border crossings. I might stay in Laos or Cambodia for a few days. I then plan to come back to Thailand at a border crossing and, since I am an American, I am assuming I will get a visa stamped upon arrival. I believe you can get 30 days for this visa upon arrival. I am wondering if they will deny me entry if I don't show an ongoing air ticket. Then I thought they might ask me to show that I have 20,000 Baht with me. I thought the 20,000 might be substituted for an air ticket. I don't want to buy an ongoing ticket because I don't know where I am going to next. Thanks for your replies.

2 hours ago, khaepmu said:

I am not sure I follow despite your fine replies. I might not have explained my self very well. My Non-B( for work) expires  in 2 days. On the last day, the day it expires, I am going to exit Thailand at one of many border crossings. I might stay in Laos or Cambodia for a few days. I then plan to come back to Thailand at a border crossing and, since I am an American, I am assuming I will get a visa stamped upon arrival. I believe you can get 30 days for this visa upon arrival. I am wondering if they will deny me entry if I don't show an ongoing air ticket. Then I thought they might ask me to show that I have 20,000 Baht with me. I thought the 20,000 might be substituted for an air ticket. I don't want to buy an ongoing ticket because I don't know where I am going to next. Thanks for your replies.

Before giving you firm advice, we need to know what you really have that you are describing as a "Non B visa". People can mean

• A multiple entry Non B visa that is expiring shortly. In that case, your best bet could be to do a border bounce, immediately returning to get a final 90-day permission to stay allowed by your visa.
  • A single entry Non B visa, with the 90-day permission to stay ending shortly. In that case, your current plan is fine without modification.
  • An extension of your original permission to stay based on working that ends shortly. In that case, as @ubonjoe tried to warn you, a visit to immigration with a letter from your employer in hand to formally end your permission to stay based on working as of your last day of employment is advisable. At land crossings, they will sometimes refuse to stamp you out without either a terminated extension or a re-entry permit.
  • A work permit that is expiring. If you are in Thailand on an entry from a visa, this is irrelevant. If you are on an extension based on working, the extended permission to stay should be terminated as outlined above.
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They will not ask for ticket out of the country at that crossing. It is seldom asked for at other crossings.

If you actually have a extension of stay issued by immigration and not a 90 day entry from a non-b visa they may asked to see a termination letter a the Mukdahan crossing before you leave the country.

I am thinking of doing the same but satun border my current non b is an ed visa and is an extension. Do I need a letter from my school for this?? I am just wanting to do a visa run so that i get an extra 30 days to sell up all my stuff.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks for your reply. Not quite sure I follow. I will be leaving Thailand (probably at Muktahan) on the last day of the Non-B visa.  It expires that day. My contract finishes that day. I don't know why I would need a termination letter. Under these circumstances do you think they will still ask me for a termination letter. Do I get that from my employer or from immigration. Does the termination letter need official stamps? Otherwise anyone could write one. I suspect the termination letter should be in Thai. Thanks for your time.

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

Before giving you firm advice, we need to know what you really have that you are describing as a "Non B visa". People can mean

• A multiple entry Non B visa that is expiring shortly. In that case, your best bet could be to do a border bounce, immediately returning to get a final 90-day permission to stay allowed by your visa.
  • A single entry Non B visa, with the 90-day permission to stay ending shortly. In that case, your current plan is fine without modification.
  • An extension of your original permission to stay based on working that ends shortly. In that case, as @ubonjoe tried to warn you, a visit to immigration with a letter from your employer in hand to formally end your permission to stay based on working as of your last day of employment is advisable. At land crossings, they will sometimes refuse to stamp you out without either a terminated extension or a re-entry permit.
  • A work permit that is expiring. If you are in Thailand on an entry from a visa, this is irrelevant. If you are on an extension based on working, the extended permission to stay should be terminated as outlined above.

Well,  my Non-B was for work. I got my first one three years ago and it was extended every year for one year,  it it has been extended every year for one year for the last 3 years. But I am not going to continue with my job. I am not sure what you mean by a '90-day permission to stay'. My extensions were all for one year. I had to go to immigration every year with a pile of documents to have the Non-B extended for one year because my contract was for one year. Sorry if I am not clarifying my situation very well. I will be exiting the country on my last day of employment. There is no more time left because my visa and contract will expire on the same day that I want to exit the country. If I stayed another day it would be an overstay. My boss doesn't seem to know what I am talking about when I asked her for a letter to present to immigration.

2 hours ago, khaepmu said:

Well,  my Non-B was for work. I got my first one three years ago and it was extended every year for one year,  it it has been extended every year for one year for the last 3 years. But I am not going to continue with my job. I am not sure what you mean by a '90-day permission to stay'. My extensions were all for one year. I had to go to immigration every year with a pile of documents to have the Non-B extended for one year because my contract was for one year. Sorry if I am not clarifying my situation very well. I will be exiting the country on my last day of employment. There is no more time left because my visa and contract will expire on the same day that I want to exit the country. If I stayed another day it would be an overstay. My boss doesn't seem to know what I am talking about when I asked her for a letter to present to immigration.

OK. You do not have a valid unexpired visa. You have an extension of your permission to stay that is based on working. To be fully compliant with the rules immigration applies, you have two options. Both involve having a termination letter from your employer to facilitate the process. Immigration want to verify that you did not stay in Thailand on your extension based on working after your employment ceased. With the termination letter in hand (which can state a date in the future as your last day of employment)

• go to your local immigration office that will annotate your extension to indicate that it is cancelled as of the last date of your employment; or
  • with the termination letter, immigration at the border crossing will be satisfied that you are leaving promptly at the end of your employment.

I appreciate that your employment, coincidentally, ends on the same day as your extended permission to stay. However, Immigration wants to see proof that this is the case. If you have an entry directly from a visa, the permission to stay does not depend on your employment. However, the extended permission to stay does.