Thais third most travelled, Agoda survey finds

snoop1130

On 9/25/2019 at 8:21 PM, canuckamuck said:

I find this very hard to believe.

On 9/25/2019 at 9:42 PM, EricTh said:

I find this hard to believe too. 

Most Thais can't even speak any other languages and they are not known to export as many workers as Filipinos.

Most Thai are quite inward looking. 

You know most Thai people?

On 9/25/2019 at 10:13 PM, White Christmas13 said:

Course it is BS how many Thais get a visa to the west?

Australia immigration reject Yinn. xenophobia!

On 9/25/2019 at 10:21 PM, Chazar said:

i find everything hard to believe here.

On 9/26/2019 at 7:30 AM, RichardColeman said:

Dear Agoda, travelled does not = tourist for nearly all Thais. It = looking for work in places like Korea........and being rejected most of the time

No

On 9/26/2019 at 7:48 AM, PatOngo said:

Thais third most travelled

...and returned with all their new found knowledge they can share with their less fortunate, poverty stricken countrymen who will never have the opportunity to travel. Road safety, distribution of wealth etc.

Thailand less poverty than Nepal, India, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam. Sure.

On 9/26/2019 at 12:08 PM, Odysseus123 said:

Having mulled over the OP I do find myself agreeing with some of it.

On 9/26/2019 at 12:42 PM, hobobo said:

They (Thais) probably visited Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, and either Singapore or Hong Kong for the fifth country. Boring stuff, and no relevance to real travel.

And Mount Everest!

Lumpini. Birthplace of the Buddha.

My passport. Will go many more country before I die. Sure.

DF78C05F-5517-4E36-B796-185A68DBF655.jpeg

DD5A6E95-DBBE-425E-9C1F-1E82D0AA05D7.jpeg

666F55B8-424D-4EFF-9F62-147C3D78AB1C.jpeg

8CDFE471-94B7-4C7D-A43B-7A4DC986C958.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Yinn said:

And Mount Everest!

Lumpini. Birthplace of the Buddha.

My passport. Will go many more country before I die. Sure.

DD5A6E95-DBBE-425E-9C1F-1E82D0AA05D7.jpeg

8CDFE471-94B7-4C7D-A43B-7A4DC986C958.jpeg

Your passport has already verified what I said earlier that most Thai only go to Laos and Malaysia.

What I left out is Nepal which is quite far away. How much is the airfare to Nepal from Thailand?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Your passport has already verified what I said earlier that most Thai only go to Laos and Malaysia.

What I left out is Nepal which is quite far away. How much is the airfare to Nepal from Thailand?

And Vietnam!!!!!

The reason I not go far already is not enough holiday. My job can not more than one week. 

Also I use a lot of holiday go wedding in different province so much.

I want to go Australia when finish uni. Because have free time. But Aussie embassy reject visa for me.

when I have more time I will go more place. Long distance.

9 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

The percentage varies.

Yes.

One organization estimated that in 2015, 13.5% of Americans (43.1 million) lived in poverty. Yet other scholars underscore the number of people in the United States living in "near-poverty," putting the number at around 100 million, or nearly a third of the U.S. population.

In Thailand, 7.9% of the population lives below the national poverty line in 2017. In Thailand, the proportion of employed population below $1.90 purchasing power parity a day in 2017 is 0.0%.

Using the 60% of median income after housing costs poverty line, the percentage of the British population living in poverty rose to 25.3% in 1996/97, compared with 13.7% in 1979.

Thailand very lucky.

so much food. Nobody hungry. Imm.

On 9/27/2019 at 10:35 PM, Yinn said:

The reason I not go far already is not enough holiday. My job can not more than one week. 

I want to go Australia when finish uni. Because have free time. But Aussie embassy reject visa for me.

Why did Aussie embassy reject your visa?

Why didn't you go to Myanmar, China, Taiwan or Hong Kong which is very near?

Edited by EricTh

On 9/26/2019 at 9:15 AM, canuckamuck said:

I can't imagine they are ahead of Singapore.

But why would Singaporeans ever want to leave their perfect island Nirvana? It seems that the only people that covet that expensive and over-hyped oasis of dynastic, one-party hegemony more than the natives are those here on TV that despise their chosen home of Thailand so much it makes their eyes water.

I find this hard to believe too. 

Not totally unexpected.

Most Thais can't even speak any other languages and they are not known to export as many workers as Filipinos.

Most Thai's that you know maybe? FWIW, Filipino workers don't typically need to use agoda but maybe their tourists do.

Most Thai are quite inward looking. The only country that most Thai especially from Isaan have been is Laos where there is not much language barrier.

Most Thais that you know maybe? Do you see a trend here? Once again, the hundreds of Thai's that cross back and forth across the Lao border on commercial trade business don't use agoda either but the ones that are tourists may.

For the southern part, the ethnic Malay of Thai nationality would go to Malaysia and again it's because they can speak the same language.

So outside of Pattani and Yala, you reckon the southern Thai's just don't get out much?

I pass through Suvarnabhumi upwards of 3 times a month visiting mostly Vietnam, Malaysia and Myanmar. It's blindingly obvious that a whole lot of Thai people are catching the same regional flights to these foreign destinations. The business travelers travel singly, just like businessmen and businesswomen do globally. The tourists tend to travel in small groups or as families... just like tourists and families of other countries do globally.

Why deny that Thailand has changed and is bypassing the irrelevancy and validity of outdated farang opinion at an increasing rate of knots?

Edited by NanLaew

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Of course she got rejected because she had no reason to go back to Thailand 

according to her she had no job or any other reason to go back to

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Because i I not have job. If I have job, I have no time for go Australia!!!! Idiots.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

I go Myanmar before. Near Ranong. (Don’t need passport if local)

I want to go the Taiwan, China, HK. But I think Japan/Korea next one. 

Up to spare time.

Just now, White Christmas13 said:

Of course she got rejected because she had no reason to go back to Thailand 

according to her she had no job or any other reason to go back to

I have reason to go back. Family, friends, life everything.

i have no reason to stay in Australia. I want to see my friend, have holiday. Then return. Stay Australia for what? 

5 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I have reason to go back. Family, friends, life everything.

i have no reason to stay in Australia. I want to see my friend, have holiday. Then return. Stay Australia for what? 

reason #1 better life every Thai I know in Australia does not want to go

back to Thailand tell me why is that

1 minute ago, White Christmas13 said:

reason #1 better life every Thai I know in Australia does not want to go

back to Thailand tell me why is that

Because you not know everyone.

my friend come back already. She not want to live Australia sure. 

Cold, expansive, food, not smile.

Thailand better life for Thai people. Sure. Sabai sabai.

7 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Because you not know everyone.

my friend come back already. She not want to live Australia sure. 

Cold, expansive, food, not smile.

Thailand better life for Thai people. Sure. Sabai sabai.

nonsense you know one Thai person I know hundreds of them and talking about cold

weather it is not even summer yet and we have 29 degrees today don't make me

compare prices food is more expansive in Thailand then in the west unless you eat

c232 food like you eat in Thailand

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

But why would Singaporeans ever want to leave their perfect island Nirvana? It seems that the only people that covet that expensive and over-hyped oasis of dynastic, one-party hegemony more than the natives are those here on TV that despise their chosen home of Thailand so much it makes their eyes water.

If I lived in a country that was only a city, I'd be internationally traveling all the time. I met lots of Singaporeans when I lived in the west, I assumed they travel a lot. Also they are fairly cashed up on average, especially compared to the rest of Indochina.

I have to commend on how you took my simple opinion and turned it into a Thai bash. Very creative.

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:
4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

If I lived in a country that was only a city, I'd be internationally traveling all the time. I met lots of Singaporeans when I lived in the west, I assumed they travel a lot. Also they are fairly cashed up on average, especially compared to the rest of Indochina.

I have to commend on how you took my simple opinion and turned it into a Thai bash. Very creative.

Most Singaporeans just go over the Johor causeway or grab a Batam ferry for their 9-to-5, weekend international adventure. When I worked there for 6 months, I joined them as well.

Thai bash? Moi? The consummate Thai apologist?

It's a pre-emptive Thai basher bash (see added emphasis above) aimed at those farangs here who are quick to promote the perceived infinite superiority of Changi Airport and Singapore Airlines despite being mostly unable to afford the flights. The same sort that happily claim here that all the Thai people they know don't speak anything but Thai and don't travel overseas so therefore the agoda survey is totally wrong.

I know it's Sunday but please pay attention.

Edited by NanLaew

4 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

nonsense you know one Thai person I know hundreds of them and talking about cold

I know now more than one thai person. Mother and father=2. 

weather it is not even summer yet and we have 29 degrees today

My friend stay in Sydney. She say it terrible cold. I just look. Now is 15 C.

Is to cold for thai people.

Tomorrow will be 12C, Tuesday 11C 

maybe your city different.

don't make me

compare prices

Ok

food is more expansive in Thailand then in the west unless you eat

c232 food like you eat in Thailand

c323 food ? You drunk again?

My friend tell me food price in Australia. Is crazy price. Steam rice 100 baht!!!!

And not good quality same thailand have. Tasteless.

D8DE30F8-6806-47A3-8DAE-FD0C9BF3CD23.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Ok

My friend tell me food price in Australia. Is crazy price. Steam rice 100 baht!!!!

Maybe your so called friend moved to the wrong city and just in case you don't know

it is winter in Sydney check the temperature up north in Australia and don't compare  

the prices with Thailand where the minimum wage is 300 baht

this is the minimum wage in Australia

National minimum wage in Australia

The new national minimum wage is $719.20 per week, for a 38-hour week, or $18.93 per hour. You'll need to apply the wage increase for your employees from the first full pay period starting on or after 1 July.

just in case you don't know this is 14890 per week

over to you now

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Ok

That is the minimum not the maximum temperature.

About average for this time of year.

7 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

That is the minimum not the maximum temperature.

About average for this time of year.

I understand minimum and maximum. 

But if I go there. It will have both. If want to go outside night for eat, it will not be maximum right? But maybe minimum. Errrrrr..... I will cry.

On 9/25/2019 at 11:02 PM, NCC1701A said:

I am Merican and I have been to 19 countries so I say BS on this.

21 if you count communist countries like California and East Germany.

Well I was born in Europe and traveled to most countries in Europe ( I think there is about 44)

I traveled to China,Laos,Vietnam,Cambodia,Myanmar and lived in Thailand  for many years and

I call it BS as well

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Maybe your so called friend moved to the wrong city and just in case you don't know

it is winter in Sydney check the temperature up north in Australia and don't compare  

the prices with Thailand where the minimum wage is 300 baht

this is the minimum wage in Australia

National minimum wage in Australia

The new national minimum wage is $719.20 per week, for a 38-hour week, or $18.93 per hour. You'll need to apply the wage increase for your employees from the first full pay period starting on or after 1 July.

just in case you don't know this is 14890 per week

over to you now

I not care about your wage. I not want job. 

But I care about food price. I need to eat if I go. 

In 2017 Australian Council of Social Service released a new report revealing that poverty is growing in Australia, with an estimated 2.9 million people or 13.3% of all people living below the poverty line.

In Thailand, 7.9% of the population lives below the poverty line in 2017.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Well I was born in Europe and traveled to most countries in Europe ( I think there is about 44)

I traveled to China,Laos,Vietnam,Cambodia,Myanmar and lived in Thailand  for many years and

I call it BS as well

There is no East Germany anymore you must be very old

30 minutes ago, Yinn said:

In 2017 Australian Council of Social Service released a new report revealing that poverty is growing in Australia, with an estimated 2.9 million people or 13.3% of all people living below the poverty line.

How is the 'poverty line' defined in Australia and how is it defined in Thailand? It's quite likely you're comparing two different things. 

Unless the definition of 'poverty' is the same in the countries you're looking at - Thailand and Australia in this case - your comparisons of the poverty level in each is meaningless.

Edited by MartinL
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

In Thailand 99% lives in Poverty

57 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

In Thailand 99% lives in Poverty

Of course, you have to be careful with data found on the internet but .....

Found this https://www.chowandlin.com/thailand - Thailand's national 'poverty line' is 1586 ฿ per person per month. 

Thai minimum wage in 2018 was 325 ฿/day = about 8450 ฿/month if working 6 days a week. https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/minimum-wages

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/wages - average (which average?) Thai wage 14353 ฿/month.

Therefore Thailand's'poverty line' is 18% of minimum wage, 11% of average wage.

7.9% (see Yinn's Post 56 above) of Thailand's population living on less than 1568 ฿ ppp month is appalling, especially considering the huge wealth imbalance of the country and the share of wealth held by the top tiny %age of people!

The Chow & Lin (first) website doesn't quote a 'poverty line' for Australia but I bet it's not much different from the 'poverty line' in Europe, which is 60% of median net household income ...

Edited by MartinL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1