What visas are left for those under 50?

16 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

The visas really have not changed much.  They are just enforcing existing laws and scrutinizing the policies a bit.  Granted some things have changed in the world since the original immigration laws and policies were enacted. Things like digital nomads are claimed to be new, but in reality such type of work is no different than a person that takes a sabbatical from work at home, then goes to Thailand and spends some time writing a book, traveling around Asia, or just taking a break from things back home, etc.  And many more people now do have income and assets to support a not working, long time tourist type of life style, which could allow them to spend one or two or more years in Thailand.  I certainly could.  There really needs to be a better long term tourist non-working type of visa.  I mean what is wrong about visiting a country for a length of time?  One may not be interested in getting married.  One is not interested in really fully retiring away from home, one may be under 50, etc.    

Just my opinon, theThais are thinking we have been scammed for too long all these people staying here and working while on a tourist visa. Well guess what those days are over now they will go to the other side and enforce there laws a bit on the harsh side. They do not care how long you have been here, how much money you spend, no more breaking the law no more working under the table. Bye bye

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

At 100K/month a Elite Visa is clearly within reach. However you won't be able to legally work. Actually 100K/month isn't really that high especially those living in hotels and eating out. Retire people often own and have invested in their homes, have cars, etc. This significantly reduces their costs.

If you are bringing in 100K/month, why are you concerned about costs? Seems like you should consult with an agent or immigration lawyer, rather than posting on a forum.

I’m not concerned I’m just thinking hypothetically about the current immigration situation. I have a Non B visa already. 

15 hours ago, pookondee said:

ok, I thought earning big bucks would mean having legit work visa and package?

Like the university lecturers, reportedly on 100k/month?

So you think a % of these guys getting knocked back are working illegally?

But how would an Immigration Officer at an airport know that?

If going off information on this site, it seems the MO of Thai IOs:

1. Dont like your country of origin and/or your skin pigment.

2. Dont like the look of your visa history.

3. Basically just dont like the look of you.

I can see a certain demographic here though..

and if you tick all the boxes above, and are younger, have lots of tatts,

appearing scruffy, hung-over, stink of ciggies etc..

Then yeah, i can imagine how a prudish Thai female IO would react to that.

I've been here decades and can pretty much size up most people as I'm sure many of you can and surely the IO enough to start poking around thru your passport. Your passport and domicile tell a great deal about who you are. Now, of course some tough looking guy often turns out to be nice and helpful and whatever else but it's easy to pick out the tossers.

In the end they just want everyone on the right visas. Sh1++y fly by night online businesses will be gone as soon as the recession hits. That goes double for people selling crappy jewelry and cosmetics and handicrap.

Long stay under 50 with no wife and job is seen as nothing but trouble. Hard to disagree having been there.

Your time is up gentlemen. Move on.

PS - I was offered one of those potential 100k+ (103?? 105?? forget) university teaching gigs. They do exist.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hackney35 said:

Agreed it’s not high at all. I struggle to survive on 100k + my measly teachers salary in BKK because life isn’t cheap here. 

Also agree that retired’s own assets but this doesn’t have an ongoing impact on GDP

I don't understand this, unless you are paying to put children through private school and renting a large-condo for a family of 4+.  Or maybe your lifestyle just requires a lot more padding than mine - which is fine, if that's the case. 

But in my expereince, Bangkok is only expensive if you live in an expensive condo, eat at expensive restaurants/bars, etc.  As a single-guy, or with a gf/wife, it is certainly possible to live in Bangkok inexpensively.  Granted, not as cheap as "staying in the wife's house in Issan."

3 hours ago, Number 6 said:

In the end they just want everyone on the right visas.

"Right Visa" being an extension-of-stay paid through an agent, so they get their cut.  Heck, in the Jomtien office, recent report indicates they offer to take the bribe right there for "missing funds" on retirement-based extensions.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I don't understand this, unless you are paying to put children through private school and renting a large-condo for a family of 4+.  Or maybe your lifestyle just requires a lot more padding than mine - which is fine, if that's the case. 

But in my expereince, Bangkok is only expensive if you live in an expensive condo, eat at expensive restaurants/bars, etc.  As a single-guy, or with a gf/wife, it is certainly possible to live in Bangkok inexpensively.  Granted, not as cheap as "staying in the wife's house in Issan."

"Right Visa" being an extension-of-stay paid through an agent, so they get their cut.  Heck, in the Jomtien office, recent report indicates they offer to take the bribe right there for "missing funds" on retirement-based extensions.

You are right, if I had a long term girlfriend I could live quite cheaply.

But I must admit to having a weakness for good restaurants/wine and nice accommodation. I’m here for the lifestyle after working too hard to be able to spend any money for many years in London. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, moe666 said:

Just my opinon, theThais are thinking we have been scammed for too long all these people staying here and working while on a tourist visa. Well guess what those days are over now they will go to the other side and enforce there laws a bit on the harsh side. They do not care how long you have been here, how much money you spend, no more breaking the law no more working under the table. Bye bye

yeah, they seem to be fixated on the working in thailand issue.  it makes for good press saying foreigners are taking away thai jobs, etc. 

15 hours ago, moe666 said:

Just my opinon, theThais are thinking we have been scammed for too long all these people staying here and working while on a tourist visa.

I don't believe that's a big issue nowadays and hasn't been for years, maybe it is in their deluded minds but not in reality. 10-15 years ago I kept running into all kinds of people working all kinds of jobs on tourist visa and visa exempt. You just don't see that anymore, that pretty much started to fizzle out about 10 years ago.

On a meagre under-the-table salary, those people really seemed to depend on quick turnarounds when doing border or visa runs. Much easier when there were double and triple entry tourist visa, unlimited border runs and Savannakhet's same day express service at their disposal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I don't believe that's a big issue nowadays and hasn't been for years, maybe it is in their deluded minds but not in reality. 10-15 years ago I kept running into all kinds of people working all kinds of jobs on tourist visa and visa exempt. You just don't see that anymore, that pretty much started to fizzle out about 10 years ago.

On a meagre under-the-table salary, those people really seemed to depend on quick turnarounds when doing border or visa runs. Much easier when there were double and triple entry tourist visa, unlimited border runs and Savannakhet's same day express service at their disposal.

It's a huge issue. Here is a copy and paste from 10 minutes ago. Social media is full of people working on Tourist visas.

Some advice or help please, my son got declined and detained at Chiang Mia immigration, yesterday afternoon, saying too many entries into Thailand on tourist visa, problem is, he's now working at a school and they busy with his work permit, and school can attest to that, anyway, they want him to go back to HK, go to Thai consulate and apply for visa, problem is they want him to pay for flights back, he gave his card to an official to draw money, and they put the incorrect pin in and blocked his card, so now, he cannot access any money here or abroad if they send him back to HK, and suggestions??

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1395920320731833/

14 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

It's a huge issue. Here is a copy and paste from 10 minutes ago. Social media is full of people working on Tourist visas.

Some advice or help please, my son got declined and detained at Chiang Mia immigration, yesterday afternoon, saying too many entries into Thailand on tourist visa, problem is, he's now working at a school and they busy with his work permit, and school can attest to that, anyway, they want him to go back to HK, go to Thai consulate and apply for visa, problem is they want him to pay for flights back, he gave his card to an official to draw money, and they put the incorrect pin in and blocked his card, so now, he cannot access any money here or abroad if they send him back to HK, and suggestions??

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1395920320731833/

Best suggestions are................. never give any bank cards to any third party.

Second best suggestion is to conform to the terms of entry into Thailand and don't bleat if the authorities catch up with illegal activities. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

The problem is not with the individuals doing it who may be told by the schools and etc that it is OK.

Most are tutoring and language schools that are not even registered with the Ministry of Education who cannot get the paperwork to employ people legally.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 1:12 PM, mockingbird said:

Not any more. As of last month Iglu are no longer able to obtain work permits.

Was only a matter of time before they started to target those type of companies.

On 9/27/2019 at 1:21 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

Oha, but not surprising, do you know if they also cancelled the old permits, what about their existing customers?

Most including Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia etc have WORLDWIDE TAXATION on all your income, there aren't that many countries actually.

Philippines is one that has taxation like Thailand, so are a bunch of  Latin american countries (costa rica, panama imo), but most others including europe (portugal and co) don't.

On 9/27/2019 at 2:52 PM, mockingbird said:

I'm not sure. I just know that a friend of mine was in the process of getting a work permit through them, got his 90 day stamp, and had arrived in Thailand only to the receive an email from them informing him that they are no longer able to hire foreign employees. Apparantly the BOI told them they need to revise their business model. 555

I would imagine at the very least, their existing customers/employees won't be able to renew their work permits.

Hi all, 

Santtu here from Iglu. Thought I'd chip in to clarify the current situation. First of all, Iglu is not a visa solution. We are a community of tech talents working remotely for clients worldwide.

Iglu is not accepting new foreign employees in Thailand for the moment indeed, while we are making some major changes to our business model. We are working closely with the Thai authorities who have requested us to make some changes in order to continue supporting our large community of tech talents in Thailand. 

Apart of not taking on new employees, Iglu is still fully in operation with over 250 employees providing a variety of digital consulting to clients worldwide. Our employees can renew their visas and work permits as usual. 

We are also going to be expanding to Da Nang, Vietnam by end of this year!

Edited by Iglu Thailand

1 hour ago, Iglu Thailand said:

First of all, Iglu is not a visa solution. We are a community of tech talents working remotely for clients worldwide.

That claim is very ambiguous. Why do you believe people pay you 30% of their earnings?

My wife and I are from USA, came here almost 2 years ago.

We do not like people coming into our Home Country illegally or Overstaying.

So we make it a point to do things properly here un Thailand. 

We are actually discussed by people trying to use loopholes to basically scam the Immigration System. We are happy that Thailand is closing those loopholes.

Personally,  I would not want someone who scammed me to get in,  living in my house.

People need to go thru the process properly and get the correct Visa or go elsewhere... simple

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Xavnel said:

My wife and I are from USA, came here almost 2 years ago.

We do not like people coming into our Home Country illegally or Overstaying.

So we make it a point to do things properly here un Thailand. 

We are actually discussed by people trying to use loopholes to basically scam the Immigration System. We are happy that Thailand is closing those loopholes.

Personally,  I would not want someone who scammed me to get in,  living in my house.

People need to go thru the process properly and get the correct Visa or go elsewhere... simple

This thread is not about scamming, overstaying or staying illegally or using loopholes.

This thread is about staying in Thailand legally and I do understand that it would be annoying for you and your wife  , having went through the procedure of getting a retirement visa and other people not going through that procedure and them also staying in Thailand .

Kick them all out and if they then move to America, kick them out from there as well and keep kicking them out until they are someone else  away from me 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SpanishExpat said:

Sorry put just old ppl can write stuff like that! The absolute majority WANT to go the legal way, but there are no options. I am in my 30s and stayed long on METV. If it wasn`t for my gf, I would have left. In my case, we want to marry 2021. So what are my options now that ED-Visa are getting harder and the random schools are blacklisted? Yeah. NO OPTIONS! That`s why posts like yours get me super angry, as there are more guys like me, who have a similar problem. It was already suggested in other threads to offer a 2yrs Elite-Visa. I would be perfectly fine with that to buy time. 

So many guys are just forced to look for loopholes due to specific reason like mine above. Not all Thai women can just able to travel around or move with the guy to Europe/USA/Australia. My gf has found her perfect job here, she studied hard for that, I don`t have to work....so it`s obviously that I have to manage my needs around her life in Bangkok, not the other way around. 

So please stop that BS, as there are many guys out there without real options!

You have a simple option already. 

You want to get married in 2021, just do the paperwork now (it’s just a piece of paper!) - visa problems solved (if you meet the other requirement). 

I’ve no issues with people doing whatever they can to ‘game’ the system, but some express a sense of entitlement to remain in Thailand, those who do are of a flawed mind. 

Thailand Immigration are being fairly clear - if under 50, not working and not married you can only visit as s ‘tourist’ with limited entries unless going the Thai Elite route. 

Thai Immigration are sending out a clear message with that. If you can’t afford the Thai Elite visa then there is a high probability you are working - that’s it. 

If a guy can’t afford a Thai Elite visa but wants to remain because he has a long term GF - a marriage of convenience is not too much of a hardship is it? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thai Immigration are sending out a clear message with that. If you can’t afford the Thai Elite visa then there is a high probability you are working - that’s it. 

Regardless that there are several personal reasons for the early 2021 marriage, I don`t care what the immigration is sending out. What I want are CLEAR rules/laws like the 2X land border entries per year on visa exempt. Rules which are communicated officially. Rules which you are already made aware of when you apply for the visa in your home country. It can`t be that people (who really want to study Thai) get their ED visa rejected. For me it`s just a 3rd world country immigration. My gf got her 1yr visa for Germany, but it`s officially and clearly stated how long she could stay in theory during this one year period. So everyone knows it and it`s not due to the individual IO`s decision/ mood if they let her enter or not. 

I think a tourist country like Thailand should focus much more on clear rules. That would decrease frustration and stress on both sides. 

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Why do you plan to get married in 2021 and not now?  Your jumping through all kinds of hoops to stay because of her so why not just get married and be legal.

Sorry your story doesn't make any sense to me. I believe about 1% and 99% is BS. Scam ED visas are getting much harder as you know.

Not every Thai woman is a bored esan-girl, who is just waiting to get asked to get married. It`s enough to say that due to work-issues and some family stuff it`s NOT possible for her to do it now. And a quick marriage, even if it`s just on the paper with festivities in the future, without pre-notification is a big no-go for both our families.

So whether its Mid 2020 or beginning of 2021 doesn`t mind, as my visa will run out in 2 Months (but planning to go back home anyway for 6-8 weeks). But enough off-topic. 

Edited by SpanishExpat

3 minutes ago, cerox said:

SpanishExpat,

what happened? You said a few weeks ago when I was denied in Saigon that you obtained the ED visa from Spain / home country.

Has something changed and you got denied there too?

No no I planned to get an ED Visa for 2020 when visiting my family home in Dec/Jan. But due to that recent developments with the blacklist, I changed my plans for 2020. As every visa, apart from EV, is risky for us under 50 now, it doesn`t matter. I would get my ED Visa in Germany for sure, but who knows what weird stuff would happen at the airport, even I`ll use to Fast lane.

9 hours ago, sanemax said:

This thread is not about scamming, overstaying or staying illegally or using loopholes.

This thread is about staying in Thailand legally and I do understand that it would be annoying for you and your wife  , having went through the procedure of getting a retirement visa and other people not going through that procedure and them also staying in Thailand .

Kick them all out and if they then move to America, kick them out from there as well and keep kicking them out until they are someone else  away from me 

It is not about scanning,   exactly!

I Am saying that he needs to do what is required of him to do stuff properly,   have the required documents,  meet the requirements to get whichever Visa he decides to do.

As for being annoyed by the people scamming and "gaming" the system...

In my opinion,  if a person wants to live somewhere,  they should have respect for the place, they should respect the laws and the people..  

By scamming the system,   that shows a lack of respect, plain and simple. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

Sorry put just old ppl can write stuff like that! The absolute majority WANT to go the legal way, but there are no options. I am in my 30s and stayed long on METV. If it wasn`t for my gf, I would have left. In my case, we want to marry 2021. So what are my options now that ED-Visa are getting harder and random schools are blacklisted? Yeah. NO OPTIONS! That`s why posts like yours get me super angry, as there are more guys like me who have a similar problems. It was already suggested in other threads to offer a 2yr Elite-Visa. I would be perfectly fine with that to buy time. 

So many guys are just forced to look for loopholes due to specific reason like mine above. Not all Thai women can just travel around spontaneously or move with the guy back to Europe/USA/Australia. My gf has found her perfect job here, she studied hard for that, I don`t have to work....so it`s obviously that I have to manage my stuff around her life in Bangkok, not the other way around. 

So please stop that BS, as there are many guys out there without real options!

Again, you are trying to swim upstream.  Get married now and get a Marriage visa and then its associated extensions.  While you have had METVs and Ed VIsas, in reality it does not seem that you got those visas really for the reasons those visas were intended.    Just how do you finance or bankroll your visits?  Are you independently wealthy?  Do you work part time in your home country, save up just enough to then head to Thailand, spend that down and then go home and work again?  You say you don't have to work??  Well good for you.  So now just why do you think your gf hasn't married up with you yet?  It sounds like you would be the dependent and not the supporter.  Again, good for you.  So hitch it up and have her import you as a an adult dependent.  Sounds sketchy at best, but may be doable

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 11:12 PM, mockingbird said:

Not any more. As of last month Iglu are no longer able to obtain work permits.

Was only a matter of time before they started to target those type of companies.

Not questioning you, but can I see a first-hand source about this? The website looks unchanged. Thanks. 

The thing is, Thailand has superior medical care. No country in the vicinity can compete there. It becomes more important as you get older. Philippines can't compete. Neither can Vietnam. And the Internet and power grid is stable -- at least where I am. 

11 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

The thing is, Thailand has superior medical care. No country in the vicinity can compete there. It becomes more important as you get older. Philippines can't compete. Neither can Vietnam. And the Internet and power grid is stable -- at least where I am. 

Malaysia and Singapore can compete when we're talking health care.