Three high-speed train projects shelved due to lack investor interest

webfact

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Public transportation, including rail lines, is supposed to be just that... PUBLIC... funded by the public for the public. And the fares are aimed at helping cover the construction and operating costs. PUBLIC transportation isn't typically supposed to be a profit making venture.

Yeah, instead in turns on the machine where money is sucked out of the taxpayers and into the pockets of govt administrators, beauracrats and their cronies.

And if the public chooses not to use the transportation becasue its slow, incovenient or whatever? Its OK, the taxpayers will pay. 

Public transport should be for transport based on real facts, not as vanity projects, Homage to St. Greta, or for weaning the proles from their cars like the elites want. High speed trains work great in China where the government not only can subsidize, but run roughshod over environmental concenrs, and can even make you use it with a stoke of the pen. It works great in Japan due to high population and traffic in the specific corridor. Other countries...not so much. You gonna take a 200 mph train between NYC and LA? How bout between BKK and CM. Hey they got all of 200,000 folks up there. Yeah that makes sense *insert the mother of all eyerolls here*

8 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

It benefits wealthy and poor when high income people can live in their home towns and commute to business centers.

Yeah all those wealthy scientists and engineers commuting to Bangkok every day from Saraburi. Thats worth a 100 billion dollar train. 

Does anyone actually read the news? 

These three projects were always incidental to the main dish.

That is the three airport link that is still going ahead.

The future is in trains, especially high speed ones and investment in this is a good thing for Thailand. 

Rooster

9 minutes ago, outsider said:

No surprises here. Who'd want to invest in an economy run by a fully 100% undemocratic military government?

The same companies that invest in economies like Italy (a different government every week, sometimes even the Mafia), China (a fascist dictatorship), Hong Kong (got those chinese tanks right actoss the border), anywhere in the Middle East outside of Israel, any country inAfrica, and so on.

Dude if you want to be another one spounting off your anti Thai government mantra (for what purpose I still havent figured out), thats fine, but at least base it in reality, dont be one of those guys with a transcript in your hand while you make up the conversation you can easily read.

1 minute ago, Jane Dough said:

The future is in trains, especially high speed ones

Cool, cant wait to take that train from Anchorage to Tokyo! Its only 400 miles from the Alaska border to Japan.

56 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i find this to be very sad.

i was looking forward to riding the high speed train to China as I was being placed in a communist reeducation camp.

Dude, the cameras just stare at you on those trains, its unnerving. And I like coming out of the Shanghai airport as you pass empty shopping malls and apt blocks. 

House of cards they have there. 

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't think I'm confused at all...

They're shelving the BKK to CM North Line. And they're shelving the South Line...

But apparently, going full steam ahead with the BKK to Northeast line connecting to Laos-China...

So as I said, appear to be putting all their eggs in the China basket to appease their masters.

And meanwhile, the 3 airports line seems in limbo.

You are being more than generous when you say the BKK north East line is going full steam ahead. Maybe just a figure of speech. 

It was only announced last month that tenders would be called in December for the fourteen sections between Bangkok and Nakhon Ratchasima. And all this is planned while negotiations are still uncompleted between China and Thailand. 

Things don't happen quickly in Thailand, after all it was almost two years ago they had the big whoopee doo groundbreaking ceremony. Sorry can't give you the link. It is another news source. 

ground breaking.jpg

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Cool, cant wait to take that train from Anchorage to Tokyo! Its only 400 miles from the Alaska border to Japan.

Anchorage will be under water relatively soon. And air travel will be banned. Yes, not in our lifetimes but soon enough. Trains are the future....and walking.

Rooster

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

Sorry, but does the UK have a high speed rail project?

Does the USA?

Spain? Italy?

Sweden? Norway?

I believe the only high speed trains i can think of are Japan, France & Germany.

All the above are "developed countries"....

IMO better get the normal speed railway system sorted first, and updated.

That alone will cost billions., but will be worthwhile & money well spent.

Forget the HSR.

I'm not sure what the speed requirement is to be called HSR. I took a train last week from Milan to Venice, it topped out at 300kph. There were LED screens on the ceiling showing the speeds.

4 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Anchorage will be under water relatively soon. And air travel will be banned. Yes, not in our lifetimes but soon enough. Trains are the future....and walking.

Rooster

Well with an average of 50 feet above sea level, thats a bit more made up than even the UN reports.

And air travel being banned. Sure. I bet the mass graves of the deniers and cheeseburger lovers can be used for stations, covers them up then. Solves the problems of objecting men in enacting the agenda, no man, no problem.

Brave New World. 

7 hours ago, Cadbury said:

The Japanese have done them a favour by running away from this one. They know a loser when they see it.

Whereas the Thai government love losers which are stacked full of incompetent management like the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) and Thai Airways.

I use the trans frequently as far as Hat Yai ,I have no need for high speeds trains. I travel over night and wake up at my destination early next morning.  Number one.

Are any of the lines described in the OP part of the Thai/China partnership high speed Lao-Bang Sue-Malaysia proposal? If not, that and the Bangkok area 3 airport fast train line are more than enough for Thailand to undertake at a given time.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is a very tragic development. Thailand does not have efficient transportation alternatives other than air travel. And the roads are choked with trucks, so an alternative freight method desperately needs to be established. The nation will not ever be considered a developed country without the high speed rail project. Unless they decide to open the Hua Hin airport, the Surat line is desperately needed. 

What is the Japanese reference? They cannot build the CM line without them? Yet, the Japanese have never invested in a rail line outside of Japan? Those questions were never asked?

A civilian government is required to get this done. One with real negotiators. And some intellect. The army is a sorry, hapless, grossly incompetent house of fools. 

Mike do I get a whisker of a thought that tells me that you personally have had enough of the BS?  ???? 

9 hours ago, Cadbury said:

The Japanese have done them a favour by running away from this one. They know a loser when they see it.

Whereas the Thai government love losers which are stacked full of incompetent management like the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) and Thai Airways.

it is important to remember that competence is directly affected by corruption.  they can do a good job if is corruption free but good luck with that...

1 hour ago, TPI said:

Mike do I get a whisker of a thought that tells me that you personally have had enough of the BS?  ???? 

Yes, when I lived in NYC many years ago, I met alot of people who one could describe as having an attitude. I did not mind it, as they had so much to back it up. Really substantial people. Here it is the opposite with the administration, the army, and immigration. Major attitudes, but absolutely nothing to back it up. Total empty suits. 

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is a very tragic development. Thailand does not have efficient transportation alternatives other than air travel. And the roads are choked with trucks, so an alternative freight method desperately needs to be established. The nation will not ever be considered a developed country without the high speed rail project. Unless they decide to open the Hua Hin airport, the Surat line is desperately needed. 

What is the Japanese reference? They cannot build the CM line without them? Yet, the Japanese have never invested in a rail line outside of Japan? Those questions were never asked?

A civilian government is required to get this done. One with real negotiators. And some intellect. The army is a sorry, hapless, grossly incompetent house of fools. 

The Japs do have a history of building railways in Thailand but that was 80 years ago.

Archived