Three high-speed train projects shelved due to lack investor interest

webfact

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dave67 said:

The High speed BS express I have been posting that for a few years

I totally agree B B express. Planes are quicker, safer, and how long for them to get money back if ever. Next get rid of Phuket airport to chalong train, took long enough and so much congestion can you imagine. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Three high-speed train projects shelved due to lack investor interest

More or less because the majority of Low and middle class earners wouldn't be able to afford it. Indeed no investor with 1 quarter of a brain would be that foolish to invest in in such a foolish investment strategy by the regime "not-to-be-named"

18 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

High speed rail as with many other forms of mass transit will not be a money maker because the personal automobile and motorcycle is so easy to acquire here with no down payment,  low monthly payments, no insurance requirements, etc... 

Short Rant:

Did not read the long diatribes by Greta Thunberg, yet if the human race is going to save the planet, we need to start by changing peoples attitudes towards transportation and conveniences that burn fossil fuels.

People should have to pay the real cost of owning their gas guzzling freedom vehicles. Taxes, parking fees, tolls, etc... 

These changes would also create healthier, safer, and happier societies, where people are walking to the train, conversing with others, and becoming connected with their neighbors and community. 

Personal transportation removes you from interacting with others, causes stress, traffic, pollution, and of course 100's of thousands of fatal accidents every year, etc...   

The industrial revolution is over 100 years old, we know it is killing us and our planet, yet we are not willing to give up anything to evolve and try and create a better society in the future    IMO

Do you really believe what you say ? ? ?

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

This is a very tragic development. Thailand does not have efficient transportation alternatives other than air travel. And the roads are choked with trucks, so an alternative freight method desperately needs to be established. The nation will not ever be considered a developed country without the high speed rail project. Unless they decide to open the Hua Hin airport, the Surat line is desperately needed. 

What is the Japanese reference? They cannot build the CM line without them? Yet, the Japanese have never invested in a rail line outside of Japan? Those questions were never asked?

A civilian government is required to get this done. One with real negotiators. And some intellect. The army is a sorry, hapless, grossly incompetent house of fools. 

They don't need the luxury of a so-called high speed rail network but a major upgrade on the existing system is desperately required: dual track and the ability to travel at speeds more than about 50kph!

6 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Do you really believe what you say ? ? ?

I am living it dude. Have not driven or owned an infernal combustion vehicle for over a year now since living in LOS.   Have met and spoken to a lot of people by walking and taking our shuttle that I would not have met otherwise

This is what "retirement" means to me.  No worries about driving, parking, paying for fuel, insurance, maintenance.  No stress navigating through these busy streets.  

Not ideal for many, but for now it is working for me as am never in a hurry to be anywhere. 

There is a difference between carrying people at high speed over medium distances in high-density population areas (eg in Japan & China) and the need for an efficient freight transport system that gets trucks off the roads, reduces pollution and hugely improves the productivity of what is currently a startlingly low-productivity economy.

The former is not economically viable in Thailand (though, when the capital gets moved to somewhere like Korat, a VFT to & from might make sense - but then, that assumes that Bangkok would still be above sea level!).

The latter is highly desirable and does not involve very fast trains but just 10-20 years of steady unglamorous upgrades and redesign of the current appalling train system.

Maybe after 17 years time, when Thailand has become a high income country, there will be enough passengers for high-speed trains.

Just take a look at the BTS and MRT in Bangkok, which is priced so high, that no low income people can afford to use it.  If the price was lowered enough, and more trains (and excalators) added, it would have the potential to solve the heavy traffic congestion in Bangkok.

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

The Japanese have done them a favour by running away from this one. They know a loser when they see it.

Whereas the Thai government love losers which are stacked full of incompetent management like the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) and Thai Airways.

Most probably the Japanese are following the Hopewell case very closely, and learning from that.

15 minutes ago, Xonax said:

Maybe after 17 years time, when Thailand has become a high income country, there will be enough passengers for high-speed trains.

Just take a look at the BTS and MRT in Bangkok, which is priced so high, that no low income people can afford to use it.  If the price was lowered enough, and more trains (and excalators) added, it would have the potential to solve the heavy traffic congestion in Bangkok.

Unfortunately I don't think it would solve traffic problems. That would only happen with a total mind set change on 'I have a new car so I must use it every day so people will see me in it'.

I also sold my car two years ago for non-use because I mainly use the bike, but society where people work and are not yet retired there is no solution for personal transport throughout the territory, with the train it can only connect agglomerations of cities to other urban centers. In Europe I have not seen happier and more friendly people on trains, no one even speaks because the seats are all in one way. One thing is to idealize and another to actually do it, In Japan the collective transport system is really effective but it has its limits, the private car is indispensable in many areas, even there I have not seen many people to chat happily about trains and buses, all rather silent.

9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Unfortunately I don't think it would solve traffic problems. That would only happen with a total mind set change on 'I have a new car so I must use it every day so people will see me in it'.

Maybe next karma, everyone now dream Porsche Taycan, not only Thais ????.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is a very tragic development. Thailand does not have efficient transportation alternatives other than air travel. And the roads are choked with trucks, so an alternative freight method desperately needs to be established. 

All high speed trains operating now are passenger only.

No „gravy trains“ then .....

Honestly, who in his right mind would invest money in a project worked out, controlled, managed and supervised by a Thai government? Common sense has prevailed and maybe the big Uncle starts trying to understand free market economy.
Interprovincial buses (i.e. Bangkok-Chiang Mai) cost same/more compared to flying. Buses are ideal in a non-aviation environment, same with trains.
Fridges are an ideal household appliance in a country like Thailand; at the South Pole it is a waste of money. Same same but different 

Japan has an enviable global recognition of having the best high speed rail network in the world.. from R&D to building, operating & maintaining the entire network which can be timed to the second!

The bullet trains come in various forms to suit the needs of the railway operating companies.

No way was it going to come to Thailand to become entrenched in negotiating contracts which are not worth the paper they're written on, trying to overcome the corruption & kick-backs, railway lines built by immigrant labour on the lowest daily rate and have it's reputation ruined by the usual Thai negligence.

They just said no thanks...

37 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

All high speed trains operating now are passenger only.

I heard they have plans to use freight trains on the same line. May not be as high speed as the passenger trains, not sure. But something needs to be done to relieve the congestion on the highways, caused by a massive volume of truckers, who drive slower than the car traffic, often refuse to move over and make way for the cars, and slow everything down. 

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I heard they have plans to use freight trains on the same line. May not be as high speed as the passenger trains, not sure. But something needs to be done to relieve the congestion on the highways, caused by a massive volume of truckers, who drive slower than the car traffic, often refuse to move over and make way for the cars, and slow everything down. 

Yes, some countries are looking at HS freight trains, hence my use of the word "now".

I'm not an engineer, but I image the weight involved with freight would necessitate heavy duty rail systems and costs that Thailand wouldn't spend. (I don't know how levitating systems would handle freight trains).

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I never see Thailand  highways outside Bangkok

Archived