Does the NON-O, over 50 still exist? Or, only OA? Or???

I am seriously confused. 

My husband and I have planned to go to Vientiane, Laos from Bangkok, to apply for a NON-O, over 50 VISA which begins with a 3 month VISA we will ultimately, convert to a one - year VISA.   Our documents include: criminal report, health certificate, government apt. Registration, printed statement of bank holdings, marriage certificate, copy of passport and photos.  This morning I read that they are no longer issuing these VISAs and our only option is to apply for an OA.  I confirmed this with an immigration law firm, who tells me they will only do a one year with the 800K Thai Baht in the bank, now? Can anyone confirm this?  We will go to immigration to inquire of course but, we are concerned because each time we approach a different embassy or employee of an embassy, we have been given the 'i don't know' answer or, different answers to the same question. 

Does any of you know where to find the MOST UP TO DATE and verifiable information regarding a VISA of this type?  

We are trying NOT to put the money in the bank for now. 

We will confer with an agent.

if, you have any recommendations this is appreciated too:)  

Thank you to whoever, has access to updated information. I am seriously confused.  

Vientiane will issue a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over for retirement.

You will need to show 800k baht in the bank or proof of 65k baht income and a police clearance certificate and medical certificate which can be from here.

Savannakhet, Laos and Penang, Malaysia will also issue them if you show 800k baht in the bank and proof of retirement. Or 65k baht income. The do not require the police clearance or medical certificate.

You can only apply for a OA long stay visa in you home country or or country of legal residence. Most embassies and official consulates will will not issue a non-o visa for retirement in your home country.

You can only obtain a Non Imm 'O-A' Visa from a Country where you have citizenship or a residency permit.

In most cases this is your home Country.

Every Thai Embassy/Consulate have varying conditions for the Non 'O' SE Visa.

They will almost all certainly want evidence of finances and proof of retirement, which is difficult if your not of state pension age and receiving a government pension.

The Non O ME Visa is usually only available if married to a Thai/family.

What is your nationality?

13 minutes ago, erinsf said:

We are trying NOT to put the money in the bank for now.

If you get the non-O would you just transfer >65k a month from overseas account to a Thai Bank for a few months, to get the 1 year extension, based on income?

11 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

Has application for change of visa while in-country become an exceptional procedure again?  

No, but the OP stated for the time being they don't want to hold funds in a Thai bank, so depending on their nationality it may be impossible to go down the conversion route.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Changing a tourist visa to a Non Imm O at Jomtien with a few months of 65k transfers wasn't acceptable for me, but hey they wanted their tea money

Yet at Roi Et they did a conversion from a TV to a Non O last month, with proof of 3 x 65K transfers, but had to be pushed and persuaded by showing their own orders, which they initially denied existence of a 'conversion' method. They preferred the OP to obtain a Non O out of Country.

It was approved at regional level after 15 days.

Extension application next in November and I'm not anticipating a problem using the income method of less than 12 x 65K monthly transfers, as they issued the Non O.

• Like 1

We are in Bangkok.  We can travel to Vientiane or Penang.  Either is fine with us.  However, a few more specific questions...AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP.  

1.  My husband is retired. We have the letter from Social Security.  But, the US Embassy will NOT verify/certify it. 

Is bringing the actual social security letter, good enough for him?  

a.  If so, will I still need 800thb in an account in Thai Bank? OR, as his wife am I his dependent and not required to have 800thb in addition to his ss payment? 

b.  If no, do we both have to put 800thb in the bank ie: 1.6 Million?  We share accounts from the US (investment and checking etc.) 

Thank you all -  

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Vientiane will issue a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over for retirement.

You will need to show 800k baht in the bank or proof of 65k baht income and a police clearance certificate and medical certificate which can be from here.

Savannakhet, Laos and Penang, Malaysia will also issue them if you show 800k baht in the bank and proof of retirement. Or 65k baht income. The do not require the police clearance or medical certificate.

You can only apply for a OA long stay visa in you home country or or country of legal residence. Most embassies and official consulates will will not issue a non-o visa for retirement in your home country.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Changing a tourist visa to a Non Imm O at Jomtien with a few months of 65k transfers wasn't acceptable for me, but hey they wanted their tea money

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sounds like using an agent may be a good route, 21,000 for 15 months (Non Imm O 3 months plus 12 months retirement extension)

Can you refer me to an agent?  I have been communicating with a lot of 'lawyery' folk who seem to want a lot of money.  Does the agent help with criminal check and acquiring the actual visas from within Thailand?  Do we have to leave Thailand to get the 3 month /1 year VISA?  

Thank you so much, 

Erin

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

No, but the OP stated for the time being they don't want to hold funds in a Thai bank, so depending on their nationality it may be impossible to go down the conversion route.

We will eventually have to put the money in the bank but, wonder if we have to put 800k or 1.6 million for the 2 of us.  We would want to open 1 account.  Not sure this is possible.  But, will consider our options;)  

1 minute ago, erinsf said:

Can you refer me to an agent?  I have been communicating with a lot of 'lawyery' folk who seem to want a lot of money.  Does the agent help with criminal check and acquiring the actual visas from within Thailand?  Do we have to leave Thailand to get the 3 month /1 year VISA?  

Thank you so much, 

Erin

Erin,

I assume you want to stay in Thailand for an indefinite period?

You obviously entered VE or on a Tourist Visa.

You can apply for a 1 year extension of permission to stay at Immigration (a permit, not a Visa) but must have a Non O type Visa and meet the financial criteria by deposited funds in a Thai bank account.

You can obtain a Non O Visa from a number of Thai Embassies/Consulates providing you meet there requirements (which vary).

You can also convert your Visa exempt or Tourist Visa through a conversion process at a local Immigration office to a Non O stamp as a prelude to obtaining an annual extension.

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Click 'ENG' top RH corner if displayed in Thai.

It is not possible in your circumstances (2 x foreigners) to remain for 'long stay' periods without transferring funds into a Thai bank, unless you return to the US and apply for the Non O-A Visa, again subject to financial requirements, but the funds can be from your US bank.

19 minutes ago, erinsf said:

1.  My husband is retired. We have the letter from Social Security.  But, the US Embassy will NOT verify/certify it. 

Is bringing the actual social security letter, good enough for him?  

I think they will want proof of the 65k baht going into a Thai bank for at least couple of months the letter from the SSA.

19 minutes ago, erinsf said:

a.  If so, will I still need 800thb in an account in Thai Bank? OR, as his wife am I his dependent and not required to have 800thb in addition to his ss payment? 

If he gets the non-o you can get a single entry non-o visa and then a extension of stay for being his wife based upon his extension based upon retirement. You will not need to show any financial proof.

You husband needs to get a bank account opened as soon as possible and start transfers at least 65k baht into it so that he can use that income to apply for his extension of stay. The transfers must show they came from abroad.

One option for your husband is start the transfers into the bank and then apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration. Only one or two transfer would needed to do the application

Where are you living at here. That will help since we would know which office he was applying at.

20 minutes ago, erinsf said:

We will eventually have to put the money in the bank but, wonder if we have to put 800k or 1.6 million for the 2 of us.  We would want to open 1 account.  Not sure this is possible.  But, will consider our options;)  

If your husband is to apply for the extension based on retirement (need Non O Visa first) then any Thai bank account used as proof of 65K THB monthly overseas transfers, OR 800K THB deposited in the account must be in his sole name.

Edited by Tanoshi

44 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Erin,

I assume you want to stay in Thailand for an indefinite period?

You obviously entered VE or on a Tourist Visa.

You can apply for a 1 year extension of permission to stay at Immigration (a permit, not a Visa) but must have a Non O type Visa and meet the financial criteria by deposited funds in a Thai bank account.

You can obtain a Non O Visa from a number of Thai Embassies/Consulates providing you meet there requirements (which vary).

You can also convert your Visa exempt or Tourist Visa through a conversion process at a local Immigration office to a Non O stamp as a prelude to obtaining an annual extension.

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Click 'ENG' top RH corner if displayed in Thai.

It is not possible in your circumstances (2 x foreigners) to remain for 'long stay' periods without transferring funds into a Thai bank, unless you return to the US and apply for the Non O-A Visa, again subject to financial requirements, but the funds can be from your US bank.

This is great information.  I appreciate all of your help.  I am thinking my husband is now, more inclined to take a chance and transfer the money.  I have been working up to this but, he hasn't been ready for it. He is more conservative about money.  But, really....its an all or, nothing proposition here. Either we do it or, we leave. You have all been helpful, kind and generous with your time.  I am excited for the next chapter. As our latest Tourist Visa is new, we will most likely convert to the Non -O- as, you recommended.  Thank you again. 

• Like 1

Okay.  Lots of information. I understand opening a bank account is kind of a difficult task.  We are in Bangkok...Sukhumvit ... anyways, we have an apartment....2 month contract right now. I requested documentation from management to show bank.  I think we will hire an agent to help with this part of our journey.  We are both going to transfer the money.  We are committed. We will change to a Non-O at immigration. But, the bank account issue and the criminal check require us to seek some assistance to speed things up and get it done efficiently or, at least guide us.  If you know of an agent you recommend let us know.  ????

25 minutes ago, erinsf said:

But, the bank account issue and the criminal check require us to seek some assistance to speed things up and get it done efficiently or, at least guide us.

A criminal background check is not needed to apply for the visa or extension at immigration.

1 hour ago, erinsf said:

Okay.  Lots of information. I understand opening a bank account is kind of a difficult task.  We are in Bangkok...Sukhumvit ... anyways, we have an apartment....2 month contract right now. I requested documentation from management to show bank.  I think we will hire an agent to help with this part of our journey.  We are both going to transfer the money.  We are committed. We will change to a Non-O at immigration. But, the bank account issue and the criminal check require us to seek some assistance to speed things up and get it done efficiently or, at least guide us.  If you know of an agent you recommend let us know.  ????

Has the management filed a TM30 for both of you?

I recommend Bangkok Bank for opening an account.

Initially open a Savings account and you'll be issued a debit card.

You need to request signed copies of the landlords Tabien Baan (Blue House book) and ID card as proof of address.

Criminal record check is only required when applying for a Non Imm O-A Visa from your home Country.

You really don't need an agent. 

Sent a PM.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

"Most embassies and official consulates will will not issue a non-o visa for retirement in your home country."

Which countries are you talking about? I think every country within the EU,US and Australia (+ some more) issues the Non-Immigrant O Visa based on retirement. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Which countries are you talking about? I think every country within the EU,US and Australia (+ some more) issues the Non-Immigrant O Visa based on retirement. 

Not in  the US or Australia. At one time the honorary consulates could issue them but the embassy in each country stopped them from issuing them a few years ago.

Check a few embassy and official consulate websites here. http://www.thaiembassy.org/main/ You will find that most do not show a non-o visa for being over 50 or over for retirement. The will issue a NON-OA long stay visa but not a non-o.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"Most embassies and official consulates will will not issue a non-o visa for retirement in your home country."

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Not in  the US or Australia. At one time the honorary consulates could issue them but the embassy in each country stopped them from issuing them a few years ago.

Check a few embassy and official consulate websites here. http://www.thaiembassy.org/main/ You will find that most do not show a non-o visa for being over 50 or over for retirement. The will issue a NON-OA long stay visa but not a non-o.

Even the UK stopped issuing the Non O for being over 50 back in 2014.

The option has now been reintroduced, but the ME Non O option is no longer available.

In Countries where the E-Visa application system has already been introduced, (UK, France, China) only nationals, or those with a residency permit can apply for any type of Visa.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Ok,but that's just one country on your list. Not "most embassies and consulates". 

10 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Ok,but that's just one country on your list. Not "most embassies and consulates". 

I think I wrote about 2 countries not one. And they were the 2 you mentioned that would do a non-o visa.

I also left it to you to find those that will issue one by posting a link to the site that has links to all embassies and official consulates.

Thanks for the info everyone.  I too plan on an extended stay of 6 months at a time.  It will come in handy as I have Veterans benefits from the US for a disability with guaranteed income. 

Question: I'm guaranteed $1500 a month. Can I deposit the difference of the 65K bhat (about $600) per month into a Thai bank account? Maybe a reference to whom I can ask?

32 minutes ago, JetSetFvr said:

Question: I'm guaranteed $1500 a month. Can I deposit the difference of the 65K bhat (about $600) per month into a Thai bank account? Maybe a reference to whom I can ask?

It would have to be transferred into the country every month. You might also have to prove the source of it when applying for the extension.