Medical Certificate: How to get it notarized?

28 minutes ago, PeteDaKat said:

The med cert form is from the Thai consulate LA website. It was filled out and signed by my doctor.

https://thaiconsulatela.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Medical-Certificate-Form-For-Non-Immigrant-O-A-Long-Stay-Only.pdf

Because of the Thai, the notaries won't touch it.

The fellow who mentioned a word I'd never heard of, "jurat," might be a way to get around the conundrum.

Did you not see my post directly above yours?  I personally talked to the consulate last week and had it done the way they want it done.  The notary form is  called "COPY CERTIFICATION BY DOCUMENT CUSTODIAN".  The Form is in both English and Thai, all they are notarizing is the statement of facts you are providing and the copies as being true and correct as to the originals.  

20 minutes ago, PeteDaKat said:

This is a red hot lead, this notary form. So, I'll have to return to my doctor to get a letter to go along with the med cert saying I'm healthy? Is there a boilerplate letter I could use to drop off to my doctor?

So, it's three parts...

1. Medical Certificate
  2. Letter from the doctor saying I am healthy
  3. This COPY OF CERTIFICATION BY DOCUMENT CUSTODIAN form

I feel so bewildered...

I need to copy and paste your entire reply to a safe place so I can try and get through this.

Pete the letter is not required, my MD felt it was needed to cover the medical certificate.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, essox essox said:

and just how did the person who replied KNOW he is in the States???!!

Because I am in the States myself also, and wanted to ensure the Consulate General in L.A. California gave me the info so I did not screw up the application and get rejected.  I am going through the process here before my return in November to my residence in Bangkok.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Did you not see my post directly above yours?  I personally talked to the consulate last week and had it done the way they want it done.  The notary form is  called "COPY CERTIFICATION BY DOCUMENT CUSTODIAN".  The Form is in both English and Thai, all they are notarizing is the statement of facts you are providing and the copies as being true and correct as to the originals.  

I was just there in Hollywood 2 weeks ago and got my med cert notarized at the place across the street, they knew what was needed, easy peasy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I went to the Notary and was given a form which I completed, the Notary then made copies of the Med Cert and MD Letter, stamped both copy's "See Attached Notary Certificate", and completed the Notary form I filled out.  The notary form is  called "COPY CERTIFICATION BY DOCUMENT CUSTODIAN". 

I tried my best to unpack what you wrote and came up with this.

The stack of papers

1. COPY of Medical Certificate form filled out and signed by the doctor.
  2. COPY of Letter from the doctor repeating what is on the med cert is true and correct, saying I’m in good health and free of the diseases on the list, (elephantiasis, syphilis, etc…) with the date the doctor examined me amd signed the med cert
  3. COPY CERTIFICATION BY DOCUMENT CUSTODIAN form from a Notary.
  4. The above 3 stapled together.
  5. ORIGINAL Med Cert
  6. ORIGINAL Doctor’s letter

This set is five pages for the original.

Then two more copies to make the three sets.

So that’s 15 pages to satisfy the medical certificate stipulation...

I need a letter from the doctor, so maybe I can create it and give it to the doctor's assistant to put onto her desk and pick it up later. I sincerely hope that I don't have to book another appointment because it's $148 to open the door and sit down. You know American health care...

30 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I was just there in Hollywood 2 weeks ago and got my med cert notarized at the place across the street, they knew what was needed, easy peasy.

That's a big sticking point because is that I'm in Hawaiʻi and can't drop in. I'll be going in person in November, but a buddy hopes not to have to spend $1,300 to get there and back (flight, rental car, a place to stay for two nights) and be able to mail it in. This med cert thing must be sorted out, or he's going to have to cough up big bucks to do the same.

3 minutes ago, PeteDaKat said:

That's a big sticking point because is that I'm in Hawaiʻi and can't drop in. I'll be going in person in November, but a buddy hopes not to have to spend $1,300 to get there and back (flight, rental car, a place to stay for two nights) and be able to mail it in. This med cert thing must be sorted out, or he's going to have to cough up big bucks to do the same.

ThailandRyan seems to have a good grasp on requirements. The place that notarized mine is the link below. Can't hurt to call them. Good luck.

SSR Services

Bookkeeper
  • Address: 620 N Larchmont Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90004
  • Service Areas: Los Angeles · Glendale · Burbank · Santa Monica · Marina Del Rey · Inglewood · Beverly Hills

• Phone: (323) 856-8648

UPDATE:

As promised folks here is the update on my successful Non Immigrant O-A Retirement Visa Application at the Royal Thai Consulate General - Los Angeles.  

I arrived at the consulate on Thursday morning (10/3) just prior to 9 am.  At 9 am the security individual opened the doors, and we were checked in one at a time, ID taken, entry document signed, and a security badge given (Badge operates the elevator to get to the second floor).  Once on the second floor, I proceeded to the Information window where I was directed to window 3(Visa).  I handed in all of the documents requested on the O-A checklist, including the notarized Medical certificate papers as discussed in my previous post.  Additionally, I had attached an income affidavit from my pension account indicating what my gross pay was every month so it satisfied the 65,000 baht per month requirement.  I also included a signed letter from my bank and 401K brokerage account indicating the amount within it, as additional paperwork if they had any questions as to finances.  The criminal record clearance document which I had received from The California DOJ, obtained about 10 days after the live scan prints were taken, indicating the App Type was for : Visa/Immigration, and the header at the top indicated who it was from.  This DOJ document did not have a signature upon it, but indicates that it is for official use only. the last requested document was copies of my flight tickets to Thailand.  As a side note I also included a copy of my pink ID card, and my yellow Tabien Ban (Housebook) was added but not needed, but I added it to show my ties to the country).  

I was at the window for about 5 minutes while the gentleman verified I had all of the needed documents, no questions were asked except if this passport was new to replace an expired passport they had listed in there system from previous Visas I had obtained.  I was given my receipt after verification all of the paperwork requested on there checklist was in order, as well as his review of the REQUIRED 2 copies of all documents, and three photos.  He stamped the receipt for me to return the next day between 10:30 and 12:00 to pick up my passport. (Please do not loose this receipt as another gentleman had done).  As he handed me the receipt he indicated I could return at anytime the next day).

Today (10/4) I returned at 9 am and checked in like the day before.  Went to the second floor and to window 3 where I handed the gentleman my receipt and he obtained my passport from the basket behind him.  He then held up the passport for me to verify it was mine (showing the ID page), and after confirming it was he flipped to the O-A visa stamp which had been affixed.  He smiled and told me to enjoy my retirement.  Out the door at 9:15 am.

Overall, this process is not difficult if you take the time to ensure you do as they ask.  Should you have any questions, please call the Visa section, leave a message, and they will return your call within 24 hours.  Please make the additional copies as required, there was a gentleman on his first Visa Application ever who failed to read and provide it as directed.  They had him walk across the street to a small business, which made him copies and also notarized his medical certificate.

End result for me was another SUCCESSFUL Visa application for the Non Immigrant O-A.  Hope you all can obtain the information you need for this visa, and good luck to you all.

Ryan.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

End result for me was another SUCCESSFUL Visa application for the Non Immigrant O-A.  Hope you all can obtain the information you need for this visa, and good luck to you all.

Thank you for your encouraging news, how swiftly your application went. This is my first time, and have never been exposed to this kind of bureaucracy before and I was so anxious when I saw the guidelines change twice on me as I started gathering the pieces. Here's to me having the quick and easy application as you did.

And he even smiled at you! I hope I get a smile to keep me from climbing a tree.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Thai visas have always been a PITA.

Most doctor offices do not have a notary on staff.  A medical doctor is not going to travel with you to a notary.  Notaries will not approve unless the doctor is there.  Ah, welcome to the TAT.

There are a few options:

1) Keep trying different notaries and hope one is willing to bend the rules.

2) Ask for a jurat (affidavit), but it may not be accepted by the Consulate.

3) Contact the Consulate and ask for advice.  I wouldn't hold your breath on this one.

4) Wait until you are in-country and pay an agency to help you with the documents, etc.

On 10/4/2019 at 1:52 PM, ThailandRyan said:

UPDATE:

As promised folks here is the update on my successful Non Immigrant O-A Retirement Visa Application at the Royal Thai Consulate General - Los Angeles.  

I arrived at the consulate on Thursday morning (10/3) just prior to 9 am.  At 9 am the security individual opened the doors, and we were checked in one at a time, ID taken, entry document signed, and a security badge given (Badge operates the elevator to get to the second floor).  Once on the second floor, I proceeded to the Information window where I was directed to window 3(Visa).  I handed in all of the documents requested on the O-A checklist, including the notarized Medical certificate papers as discussed in my previous post.  Additionally, I had attached an income affidavit from my pension account indicating what my gross pay was every month so it satisfied the 65,000 baht per month requirement.  I also included a signed letter from my bank and 401K brokerage account indicating the amount within it, as additional paperwork if they had any questions as to finances.  The criminal record clearance document which I had received from The California DOJ, obtained about 10 days after the live scan prints were taken, indicating the App Type was for : Visa/Immigration, and the header at the top indicated who it was from.  This DOJ document did not have a signature upon it, but indicates that it is for official use only. the last requested document was copies of my flight tickets to Thailand.  As a side note I also included a copy of my pink ID card, and my yellow Tabien Ban (Housebook) was added but not needed, but I added it to show my ties to the country).  

I was at the window for about 5 minutes while the gentleman verified I had all of the needed documents, no questions were asked except if this passport was new to replace an expired passport they had listed in there system from previous Visas I had obtained.  I was given my receipt after verification all of the paperwork requested on there checklist was in order, as well as his review of the REQUIRED 2 copies of all documents, and three photos.  He stamped the receipt for me to return the next day between 10:30 and 12:00 to pick up my passport. (Please do not loose this receipt as another gentleman had done).  As he handed me the receipt he indicated I could return at anytime the next day).

Today (10/4) I returned at 9 am and checked in like the day before.  Went to the second floor and to window 3 where I handed the gentleman my receipt and he obtained my passport from the basket behind him.  He then held up the passport for me to verify it was mine (showing the ID page), and after confirming it was he flipped to the O-A visa stamp which had been affixed.  He smiled and told me to enjoy my retirement.  Out the door at 9:15 am.

Overall, this process is not difficult if you take the time to ensure you do as they ask.  Should you have any questions, please call the Visa section, leave a message, and they will return your call within 24 hours.  Please make the additional copies as required, there was a gentleman on his first Visa Application ever who failed to read and provide it as directed.  They had him walk across the street to a small business, which made him copies and also notarized his medical certificate.

Ryan.

If we only lived in LA close to the consulate, had a Tabien Ban and pink ID card, and a NOTARIZED medical certificate.  Your post exemplify, the difficulty with Thai visas.

• Haha 1