Marriage Non-Immigration Visa Type O

What are the financial requirements when applying for a Non-O visa from outside Thailand? Also there's an option for a multiple entry option valid for 12 months (re-enter every 3 months so can get up to 15 months total???). When I do a Google search and look at all the different company websites about the requirements, they all mention something like:

• Must meet the financial requirement
    • Security deposit of THB 400,000 in a Thai Bank Account for at least 2 months prior to the visa application; or
    • Monthly income of at least THB 40,000. A letter from the foreigner embassy has to be shown to verify this income

Supporting documents as proof of the security deposit in a Thai bank are as follows:

• Updated bank book or passbook
    • Bank letter stating that the money had been deposited to the account from an overseas source for not less than 2 months.
  • Other documents that may be required to be presented:*
    • Police Clearance
    • Medical Certificate

Then when I look at the embassy/consulate site of my country, there's no mention of any financial requirements. It says:

Required documents for ALL Type of Non-Immigrant Visa:

• An original and a copy of Passport or travel document with a minimum validity of 6 months
  • Download and complete Visa Application Form
  • Recent passport-sized photograph (3.5 x 4.5 cm) of the applicant
  • Proof of an Australian Electronic Visa (for non-Australian or non-resident applicants)
  • A copy of airline ticket indicating the date of arrival to and departure from Thailand
  • Proof of residential address in Australia

Additional Required Documents:

• A proof of relationships such as marriage certificate or birth certificate.
  • A confirmation letter from your spouse or family member with copy of their Thai ID card and house registration.
  • A copy of the visa or work permit of a spouse or parent who is currently working in Thailand

It depends upon where you apply for it.

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon being married to at Thai in Savannakhet, Laos or Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam with no financial proof.

You need your original marriage certificate and a copy of it. Copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card signed by her. In HCMC you also need a letter from your wife requesting you be issued the visa.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It depends upon where you apply for it.

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon being married to at Thai in Savannakhet, Laos or Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam with no financial proof.

You need your original marriage certificate and a copy of it. Copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card signed by her. In HCMC you also need a letter from your wife requesting you be issued the visa.

Is it possible to keep returning to your home country every year (or Laos/Vietname) and keep applying for a new multiple entry Non-O? Therefore not doing the stay in Thailand to renew every 12 months thing.

Is it also possible to enter Thailand on a visa exempt, SETV or METV then while in Thailand convert or extend into a Non-O visa at the immigration office?

8 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Is it possible to keep returning to your home country every year (or Laos/Vietname) and keep applying for a new multiple entry Non-O? Therefore not doing the stay in Thailand to renew every 12 months thing.

Is it also possible to enter Thailand on a visa exempt, SETV or METV then while in Thailand convert or extend into a Non-O visa at the immigration office?

It has already been said you can't get this type of visa in your home country now. I have had 3 or 4 1 year non o's now and nothing has been said to me yet, but one day my luck may run out. Strictly speaking these visa's are not for people that stay here all year round, they are primarily for someone that regularly visits family, so a bit of a grey area in that respect.

6 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

It has already been said you can't get this type of visa in your home country now. I have had 3 or 4 1 year non o's now and nothing has been said to me yet, but one day my luck may run out. Strictly speaking these visa's are not for people that stay here all year round, they are primarily for someone that regularly visits family, so a bit of a grey area in that respect.

Who or where have you read that you can't get Non-O visas in your home country? My home country embassy/consulate still lists them as available to apply for.

If these visas aren't for people to stay here all year round, why are you allowed to go to immigration to extend it for 12 months again and again and again, without even having to leave the country?

Edited by bbi1

11 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

A multiple entry non-o visa allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue. You can go to or stay where ever you want during that year and get a new 90 day entry when you enter the country.

If the embassy or a consulate would issue the visa you could apply there.

11 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

You can a apply for 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration based upon qualifying for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only or proof of 40k baht to apply for it.

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_79

After getting the visa you could apply for the one year extension during the last 30 days of the 90 entry. At that time the 400k baht would have to be the bank for 2 months.

If you wanted to travel during the one year extension you would need to get a re-entry permit to keep it valid.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Who or where have you read that you can't get Non-O visas in your home country? My home country embassy/consulate still lists them as available to apply for.

If these visas aren't for people to stay here all year round, why are you allowed to go to immigration to extend it for 12 months again and again and again, without even having to leave the country?

Multi-entry visas are not designed for people that are here all year round, why do you think they are multi-entry? Furthermore, you DO have to leave the country, you have to leave the country every 90 days during the visa period and you cannot get a new visa in Thailand when applying for a fresh visa. You are clearly mis-informed.

Edited by Khon Kaen Jeff
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Multi-entry visas are not designed for people that are here all year round, why do you think they are multi-entry? Furthermore, you DO have to leave the country, you have to leave the country every 90 days during the visa period and you cannot get a new visa in Thailand when applying for a fresh visa. You are clearly mis-informed.

Can you not get an extension of stay using the marriage Non-O visa when it's close to expiry at the immigration office? I remember reading that people on that visa can just extend it at immigration for 12 months at a time without having to leave the country to keep getting new marriage Non-O visas every year. Or does everyone on a marriage visa need to keep leaving the country every 3 months, then after 12 months need to keep leaving and getting new Non-O visas? I thought a marriage Non-O is meant to be considered a "long stay visa"? Might as well just stick to a METV then. It's pretty much the same with less hassle.

Edited by bbi1

12 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Can you not get an extension of stay using the marriage Non-O visa when it's close to expiry at the immigration office? I remember reading that people on that visa can just extend it at immigration for 12 months at a time without having to leave the country to keep getting new marriage Non-O visas every year. Or does everyone on a marriage visa need to keep leaving the country every 3 months, then after 12 months need to keep leaving and getting new Non-O visas? I thought a marriage Non-O is meant to be considered a "long stay visa"? Might as well just stick to a METV then. It's pretty much the same.

You are confusing a visa with an extension of stay.

The 1 year extension you are referring to (based on visiting thai family/marriage) is possible based on the last 30-45 days of any non-immigrant visa entry.  It can be done at the local immigration office that services the area which your application address is located.   Once you are granted the 1 year extension, you may leave Thailand.  BUT, you must get a single/multiple RE-entry permit attached to that particular extension.  You do this at the local immigration office 1000 baht single or 3800 baht (multiple).

Each time you get a new extension, if you wish to leave thailand and come back before the extension time expires, you must obtain a re-entry permit before you leave.  If you do not get the re-entry permit OR you come back after extension expires, you then must "start over" to get back to the point where you can apply for 1 year extension.

With a ME non-immigrant O/ED/B visa, you may enter unlimited times, but are limited to 90 day permission to stay each time you enter.  So if you want to stay longer than 90 days, you either must obtain an extension of stay OR do some sort of border run.  The border run is where you exit Thailand, enter and exit border country, and then re-enter Thailand on the same day or maybe next day in a few cases.

Similar steps must be taken for any other type of ME visa (if you want to stay longer than the permission to stay granted).

Edited by 4evermaat
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Similar steps must be taken for any other type of ME visa (if you want to stay longer than the permission to stay granted).

Clear and correct post. 

But one small comment.  A Non-Imm OA Visa for retirement is also Multi-Entry, but with that type of Visa 3 monthly border-runs are not required.  Instead you would have to do 90 day reporting, each time you are at the end of 90 consecutive days in Thailand (exiting and re-entering sets the teller back to 0).

Also the financial requirement (800.000/400.000 THB in a Thai bank-account) would only kick in at the end of the 2nd year.  But can of course be avoided if you re-apply for a new Non-Imm OA Visa in your home-country at the end of the 2nd year.

Since the OP specifically asked about Marriage Non-Immigration Visa Type O, I presume he is under 50 years ago and hence not eligible for a retirement visa.

20 hours ago, bbi1 said:

f these visas aren't for people to stay here all year round, why are you allowed to go to immigration to extend it for 12 months again and again and again, without even having to leave the country?

Edited 19 hours ago by bbi1

You aren't extending the visa, you're extending your permission to stay in the country. Once you're using extensions of stay, you no longer have a visa which is why you need a re-entry permit to enter Thailand after travel outside the country... At that point you don't have a visa you only have an extension of the permission to stay IN Thailand.

There is a Use-by or expiry date printed on every visa. When that day arrives, the visa is finished. Visas cannot be renewed or extended.

Some people love to chime in saying there's no difference between a visa and an extension of stay or that everyone knows what you mean, which ironically demonstrates how confused they are.

Edited by Suradit69

21 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Yes, you can convert a 60 days TR Visa to a Non-Immigrant O Visa after 30 days at the local immigration office. But you have to meet the financial requirements depending on what type of Non-Immigrant O you're applying for. And you need a Thai bank account.

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Yes, you can convert a 60 days TR Visa to a Non-Immigrant O Visa after 30 days at the local immigration office. But you have to meet the financial requirements depending on what type of Non-Immigrant O you're applying for. And you need a Thai bank account.

This is not always possible at every local immigration office.    A more reliable approach [if you do not already have non-immigrant visa) is to do a visa run to a neighboring country and obtain a non-immigrant visa first.  Then start the process when you come back.

On 9/29/2019 at 1:58 PM, bbi1 said:

UK is not issuing multi non imm 'O' visas

you do not extend the visa you extend the permission to stay period that the visa gives you.

It can be confusing. At one time I was able to apply for "O" and "OA" visas to visit my wife from the UK with no trouble as at the time I had reasonable earnings and bank balance. I think I had statements from the bank which they stamped on one occasion for the "OA" visa but other than that I must have just used ones printed from the internet and I've done the same for my wife when she applied for a 5 year UK visa a couple of years ago. I suppose they can always ask for extra documentation if they're suspicious.

On the Thai embassy site in the UK the financial requirements for "OA" are.

Financial evidence showing monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB (approx. £1,625) or having the current balance of 800,000 THB (approx. £20,000), e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, for at least 1 month.

For an "O" to visit family it's.

Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party

The conversions are a bit out of date due to the weakness of the pound. There's no specific amount of earnings for the "O". I'm just short of receiving my state and personal pensions and not working very much either at the moment so it would help at the moment if they were more specific.

Of course I'd always check on here as well as Embassy sites are notoriously inaccurate. 

55 minutes ago, kimamey said:

It can be confusing. At one time I was able to apply for "O" and "OA" visas to visit my wife from the UK with no trouble as at the time I had reasonable earnings and bank balance. I think I had statements from the bank which they stamped on one occasion for the "OA" visa but other than that I must have just used ones printed from the internet and I've done the same for my wife when she applied for a 5 year UK visa a couple of years ago. I suppose they can always ask for extra documentation if they're suspicious.

On the Thai embassy site in the UK the financial requirements for "OA" are.

Financial evidence showing monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB (approx. £1,625) or having the current balance of 800,000 THB (approx. £20,000), e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, for at least 1 month.

For an "O" to visit family it's.

Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party

The conversions are a bit out of date due to the weakness of the pound. There's no specific amount of earnings for the "O". I'm just short of receiving my state and personal pensions and not working very much either at the moment so it would help at the moment if they were more specific.

Of course I'd always check on here as well as Embassy sites are notoriously inaccurate. 

Why would the information at The Royal Thai Embassy in the UK be wrong? That's the official info. If you submit the documents they request, then you're home free. 

Edited by Max69xl

44 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Why would the information at The Royal Thai Embassy in the UK be wrong? That's the official info. If you submit the documents they request, then you're home free. 

I suppose I should have said unclear or contradictory although in the case of contradictory information one will probably be wrong. think that why they stopped consulates issuing visas without sending the documents to the embassy for a decision. I remember Hull consulate suddenly requiring financial evidence that they hadn't needed before so on advice from here I went to Birmingham consulate (no longer exists) as they didn't. I had the finance but there was some problem getting the evidence that I can't remember now. Possibly they needed signed statements rather than just printed ones. When I spoke to Birmingham they had no knowledge of the financial document requirement that Hull demanded but they did need something else that Hull didn't. I think it might have been a marriage certificate. when I checked closer those requirements and lack of them were on the website just on different pages so it depended on which one they looked at.

I also had a problem a while back when I had to apply for a visa fairly quickly so I needed to get it right. One page requested my marriage certificate and another asked for a copy of the certificate. To be sure I sent the original with a return envelope large enough as I'd done previously with bank statements. My passport was returned without my certificate. I emailed numerous times and sent a letter recorded delivery with a link to the page that requested my certificate. I got only one reply which contained a link to the very page that asked for my marriage certificate but not the one asking for a copy. I have had good service as well but i think in general it's not good. The trouble is there's no competition. Iv'e had problems with Immigration in Bahrain as well so it's not only Thailand and I suspect it's similar elsewhere