Transferring Money to Someone within Thailand Who Does Not Have a Bank Account

6 hours ago, allane said:

As I said in my OP, I decided to finish yesterday's transfer by Western Union. I have looked at the English version of Bangkok Bank's website, and seen nothing there to indicate that someone who does not have an account there can receive a bank to bank cash transfer.

So, just because it's not on a website, you choose to disregard what the manager actually told you, face to face, about how you could make the transfer? 

The website doesn't say, for example, that cheques can be cashed at branches or that withdrawals can be made but both those can be done, so your obtuse acceptance that the transfer service offered to you can't be done doesn't seem logical. 

Wouldn't calling their call centre (1333) sort it out? Not everything gets put on to a website, obviously.

Edited by Just Weird

8 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I don't think there's such a service in any bank in Thailand, the recipient must have a bank account, unless we are talking about WU.

But you can always Google it. 

"I don't think there's such a service in any bank in Thailand".

What do you base that thought on?

From the OP...

"I got talking to the manager.  He said that I could do a transfer to any branch of Bangkok Bank for a fee of B 30, and that the recipient could claim the money, even if he does not have a Bangkok Bank account".

Why would the manager say that to a customer who specifically wanted to do that if that service wasn't available? 

Edited by Just Weird

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

So, just because it's not on a website, you choose to disregard what the manager actually told you, face to face, about how you could make the transfer? 

The website doesn't say, for example, that cheques can be cashed at branches or that withdrawals can be made but both those can be done, so your obtuse acceptance that the transfer service offered to you can't be done doesn't seem logical. 

Wouldn't calling their call centre (1333) sort it out? Not everything gets put on to a website, obviously.

You can't send money to a person without an account at Bangkok Bank. Maybe the manager was talking about Western Union or an equivalent company through Bangkok Bank. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Wow...talk about most of the posts missing the point.

Not even one of them has heard of Cardless cash withdrawal...

You can read about similar services here; https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/wealth/save/heres-how-you-can-withdraw-cash-without-using-credit-or-debit-card-at-these-3-banks-atms/articleshow/68811216.cms

What has cardless cash withdrawal to do with OP and Bangkok Bank? Bangkok Bank doesn't even have cardless cash withdrawal. Only a very few banks have it so far. 

7 hours ago, Max69xl said:

What has cardless cash withdrawal to do with OP and Bangkok Bank? Bangkok Bank doesn't even have cardless cash withdrawal. Only a very few banks have it so far. 

Maybe they have a tie-in with one of those banks. Hence the 30 baht charge. Any more questions? Direct them to his bank manager.

I answered as to how someone can send money to someone who does not have a bank account.

I did use a service that exchange bitcoin and I could go pick up cash at Bangkok Bank before I had an account there. You can even do cardless withrawal at ATM with Everex. Thailand has a pretty advanced banking system compared to most developed country or maybe it has a bigger bankless population. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 2:49 PM, poohy said:

But hes already dealing with BKK bank why make life more difficult!? TIT dont confuse matters IMHO 

"I went to a branch of Bangkok Bank to withdraw the money, and make a transfer by Western Union." 

Maybe he want to pay more fees and fill endless forms. 

Edited by Tayaout

21 hours ago, allane said:

To repeat: I would appreciate the exact name, in Thai, of any service which might be available inside Bangkok Bank, or any of the other Thai banks, where someone with no account at that bank can walk in and receive funds which have been previously sent to him. (The equivalent of Poste Restante (General Delivery) at the Post Office.)

It's called receiving money without a bank account. I can confirm that's the cheapest option and the recipient only need a passport or Thai ID. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Every bank here has the same system. A person without an account can send money to a person with an account, but not the other way around. That's the reason they use for example WU. 

So much disinformation in this thread. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I did use a service that exchange bitcoin and I could go pick up cash at Bangkok Bank before I had an account there. You can even do cardless withrawal at ATM with Everex. Thailand has a pretty advanced banking system compared to most developed country or maybe it has a bigger bankless population. 

Thailand hasn't got a pretty advanced banking system compared to most developed countries. Where do you come from,Bulgaria? The things you can do now online at a Thai bank, I could do 20 years ago at home. 

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Thailand hasn't got a pretty advanced banking system compared to most developed countries. Where do you come from,Bulgaria? The things you can do now online at a Thai bank, I could do 20 years ago at home. 

Canada is backward or has too many regulations but you cant simply send money to someone without registering them 24h in advance (Interac email transfer). You can't send money without a bank account to someone without a bank account. Fees are high on anything you want to do compared to Thailand. You can't withdraw money without an ATM card and only ATM at the bank support deposit. When I left Canada ~6 years ago there was no way to simply scan a QR code or use a phone number to pay someone or a merchant. There was no mastercard or visa debit card. The list could go on and on. 

Edited by Tayaout

12 hours ago, Max69xl said:

You can't send money to a person without an account at Bangkok Bank. Maybe the manager was talking about Western Union or an equivalent company through Bangkok Bank. 

Stop it, Max69xl, stop it, you are talking nonsense.

As the manager in question stated in the OP, the transaction that he manager recommended to the OP is available, it's a BBL service, it's called an "online fund/money transfer" and can be done branch to branch to a recipient with no bank account.

As the manager in question stated, the charge (up to B10,000) is B30.

As the manager in question also stated, the recipient needs only a passport and the reference number given to the sender and is required to provide his name, address and phone number.

How do I know this?  I rang Bangkok Bank to ask them and all the above information, i.e. the information that the doubting OP was given face to face in the first place, was confirmed as correct.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JamJar said:

Wow...talk about most of the posts missing the point.

Not even one of them has heard of Cardless cash withdrawal...

You can read about similar services here; https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/wealth/save/heres-how-you-can-withdraw-cash-without-using-credit-or-debit-card-at-these-3-banks-atms/articleshow/68811216.cms

You're the one who's missed the point!

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Could you name one normal banking procedure that mainstream Thai banks cannot do today that any retail bank in Europe, UK or US can do?

By the way, Bulgarian banks can do the same things also.

On 9/30/2019 at 12:46 PM, allane said:

I got talking to the manager.  He said that I could do a transfer to any branch of Bangkok Bank for a fee of B 30, and that the recipient could claim the money, even if he does not have a Bangkok Bank account.  It sounded too good to be true.

It wasn't too good to be true.

Is this type of transfer really possible, in this incredibly bureaucratic country, where reams of paperwork are normally required because nobody trusts anybody ?

Yes, it is, despite your assertion that "reams of paperwork would be required and that no one trusts anyone else in this country". What?

I am sure that Bangkok Bank would be happy to take my money. But I have my doubts if the intended recipient ( a foreigner to boot) can simply walk in and claim the money. 

You're suggesting that the recommendation made by a branch manager of the country's biggest bank is fraudulent?  Why would you do that?

All your question have now been answered, unfortunately not quite the way that you wanted them answered, in the affirmative!  Sorry!

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

1) I used this before, works like a charm. Also just depositing money in cash to pay bills, works fine unlike in europe and US. No paperwork for amounts under 2 mio THB.

2) Thai banking is def better within Thailand than German/USA and co - Kasikorn app is prolly the best banking app i ever used and i tried A LOT. 

Citibank/DBS/DB etc and other big banks can't compete on that.

Thank you Tayaout. I somehow missed the statement about a reference number to give to the recipient.

And, I probably did not associate the words "Online Transfer" with a transfer done behind the counter by bank staff. I don't have a smartphone, so I did my internet search later, after I had completed my transfer and left the bank.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

You're the one who's missed the point!

No. I did not. 

I answered the question of Transferring Money to Someone within Thailand Who Does Not Have a Bank Account

Cardless cash withdrawals is exactly what is being described here. Whether via ATM or branch, it is exactly the same.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, JamJar said:

No. I did not. 

I answered the question of Transferring Money to Someone within Thailand Who Does Not Have a Bank Account

Cardless cash withdrawals is exactly what is being described here. Whether via ATM or branch, it is exactly the same.

Yes, you did miss the point. 

This was the question, about a specific service, that the OP asked...

"I got talking to the manager.  He said that I could do a transfer to any branch of Bangkok Bank for a fee of B 30, and that the recipient could claim the money, even if he does not have a Bangkok Bank account... 

Is this type of transfer really possible...?"

He did not ask for alternative methods of sending money!

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

"I got talking to the manager.  He said that I could do a transfer to any branch of Bangkok Bank for a fee of B 30, and that the recipient could claim the money, even if he does not have a Bangkok Bank account... 

You raise a good point. However, this is Thaivisa. You can put up a post about anything, and the majority (sometimes the vast majority)  of replies will be about anything under the sun; or at least about anything other than the question asked. What can be done about it ? Nothing.

As for the name-callers, and those looking for any excuse to start an argument, there is nothing that can be done about them either, other than ignoring them.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 3:35 AM, Just Weird said:

It's seems that it is you who is looking for an argument.

He asked if it were possible and my answer was that it is, utilising a method wherein an authorisation code is utilised. 

What Bangkok Bank offers is a Cardless cash withdrawal. The only difference is that you cannot, at the moment, do so via their ATM network.

My comment was aimed at those who stated that it wasn't possible or who suggested that it was only possible via the likes of WU.

Just Weird.... ☺️ No need to be pedantic.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, JamJar said:

What Bangkok Bank offers is a Cardless cash withdrawal. The only difference is that you cannot, at the moment, do so via their ATM network.

I don't know which bank offer this but some cash transfer service like Everex allow cardless withrawal in Thailand ATM. 

4 hours ago, JamJar said:

It's seems that it is you who is looking for an argument.

He asked if it were possible and my answer was that it is, utilising a method wherein an authorisation code is utilised. 

My comment was aimed at those who stated that it wasn't possible or who suggested that it was only possible via the likes of WU.

Just Weird.... ☺️ No need to be pedantic.

"He asked if it were possible and my answer was that it is, utilising a method wherein an authorisation code is utilised. What Bangkok Bank offers is a Cardless cash withdrawal".

You would be right if not for the fact that the BBL transfer service is not a "Cardless Cash Withdrawal" as that is not a service offered yet.  But, if it was, by extension using your logic, a SWIFT transfer, for example, would also be a cardless cash withdrawal, and it's not.

Pedanticism doesn't enter into it.

Edited by Just Weird

3 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I don't know which bank offer this but some cash transfer service like Everex allow cardless withrawal in Thailand ATM. 

I think perhaps three Thai banks have the service via ATM and at least one, Bangkok Bank in this case, is administered via their branch network.

Just now, Just Weird said:

"He asked if it were possible and my answer was that it is, utilising a method wherein an authorisation code is utilised. 

What Bangkok Bank offers is a Cardless cash withdrawal".

You would be right if not for the fact that the BBL transfer service is not a "Cardless Cash Withdrawal" as that is not a service offered yet.  But, if it was, by extension using your logic, a SWIFT transfer, for example, would also be a cardless cash withdrawal, and it's not.

Pedanticism doesn't enter into it.

Sorry, but not even bothering to read your post, since it most certainly will not advance the thread in any way.

More likely just to continue a pointless argument or simply to pander to your ego.

have a nice day instead.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Sorry, but not even bothering to read your post, since it most certainly will not advance the thread in any way.

More likely just to continue a pointless argument or simply to pander to your ego.

have a nice day instead.

The thread got past the point of advancement several days ago when all the OPs questions were answered, in full, specifically and accurately!  I don't think I'm the one "pandering his ego" [sic].