Final proposal - PM Johnson to unveil Brexit offer to EU

webfact

50 minutes ago, JAG said:

You didn't have to read it.

By the way, I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but as we are talking about writing styles, yours is remarkably reminiscent of that of a couple of other chaps who used to post here - "Grouse" and "Handsome Gardener" I think they called themselves.

I'm sure it is just a coincidence...

Why don't you complain with the moderators instead of trolling here?

And is your real name Jacob Reesmug?

But do keep on correcting my spelling mistakes, I quite like the idea of a personal spelling checker.

1 minute ago, englishoak said:

A. Scotland would have to meet the economic standards which it dosnt and cant.

B. A requirement to join is adopt the Euro and also much cheaper than trying to make its own.

The EU might break or bend those requirements of course. Best scenario is for the UK to leave ASAP, throw N Ireland under the bus and encourage the EU to work towards unification and  give Scotland another vote but also let the English vote to make sure Scotland goes this time. :cool: 

Why is your country called "The UNITED Kingdom"? English humor?

And that bus you want to throw the occupied territories of NI under, that would not by any chance be a RED bus?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Slip said:

The obvious answer is for England to leave (or be kicked out of) the UK, then it will leave the EU as a matter of course.  Not sure what will happen when London then leaves Little England though.

Cant be kicked out, England IS the original kingdom... im in London so that other scenario wouldnt be an issue but id prefer we kept the rest of England for the fishing and weekends to the seaside..

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Why is your country called "The UNITED Kingdom"? English humor?

And that bus you want to throw the occupied territories of NI under, that would not by any chance be a RED bus?

Its called the United Kingdom because the English says it is and will turn off the benefits, potato and porridge rations if theres trouble...:whistling:

Actually I think if N Ireland was to unify and i think no country should be divided then the title United Kingdom would cease to be used... Great Britain or Just Britain would be more appropriate. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, englishoak said:

Its called the United Kingdom because the English says it is and will turn off the benefits, potato and porridge rations if theres trouble...:whistling:

Actually I think if N Ireland was to unify and i think no country should be divided then the title United Kingdom would cease to be used... Great Britain or Just Britain would be more appropriate. 

quote: and will turn off the benefits, potato and porridge rations if theres trouble..

Now you make me scared.

Europe sure could never handle all those asylum seekers, wir schaffen das nicht!

The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of people forget that certain other sets of people are human.~ Aldous Huxley

Can somebody explain to me what this quote is doing underneath posts by englishoak? Especially as he likes to denigrate Irish and Scots ?

Maybe he is quoting his user's manual?

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of people forget that certain other sets of people are human.~ Aldous Huxley

Can somebody explain to me what this quote is doing underneath posts by englishoak? Especially as he likes to denigrate Irish and Scots ?

Maybe he is quoting his user's manual?

:w00t::cheesy:  I'll admit theres something unusual about believing in little men, and painting yourself blue, we'll put it down to particularly good mushrooms and lack of makeup options but I never said they wernt human. :whistling:

• Sad 1

On 10/2/2019 at 8:37 AM, JonnyF said:

Not at all. We want to be free to strike deals with the rest of the world. 

Remainers love to paint Leavers as inward looking little Englanders. It's another strawman argument, most Leavers are very forward thinking and realize that the exciting growth over the next few decades will be outside the EU, and we want to be a part of it.

Of course we will still deal with the EU, but we want to deal with the whole world, not just the protectionist bloc on our doorstep. The Commonwealth, Asia, the US, Africa, South America. Massive potential. Of course the old unelected grey men in Brussels won't like it, but C'est la vie.

what exactly does the UK have to sell that is UK owned ?

10 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Why don't you complain with the moderators instead of trolling here?

And is your real name Jacob Reesmug?

But do keep on correcting my spelling mistakes, I quite like the idea of a personal spelling checker.

I corrected one spelling mistake because it was entirely relevant to the point which you were making. Otherwise I frankly don't care very much. That said, you asked: "And is your real name Jacob Reesmug?" Should I point out that - no, it will only annoy!

My real name - well my posting name here is simply my initials, It is as simple as that.

Edited by JAG
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Slip said:

The obvious answer is for England to leave (or be kicked out of) the UK, then it will leave the EU as a matter of course.  Not sure what will happen when London then leaves Little England though.

Where is Little England....?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JAG said:

A very good question, particularly when asked in the context of Brexit! 

As for the whole question of Scottish Independence, I am somewhat resigned to the expectation that notwithstanding the last referendum result, the question will be asked, again and again until those asking get the answer they want. There is a strong lobby within Scottish politics for that, and if it translates into a majority of Scots (I'm not sure that it does) then off you go!

Personally I am of the opinion that leaving the United Kingdom, because England is the dominant economic and political entity in that union, and controls the unions fiscal affairs: and then asking to join another Union, in the process essentially handing control of your fiscal affairs to that union, in which another large nation is the effective dominant economic and political entity, seems rather pointless. So does either retaining the pound after independence (England will remain the dominant economic and political entity) or adopting another currency! As an Englishman I don't have a say in that matter, but I would certainly wish for my government, (England's) to maintain control of all aspects of the currency in the event of Scotland wishing to retain the Pound Sterling. Not to punish Scotland for their temerity in demanding independence, but to ensure that the currency is controlled for England's benefit and not Scotland's, since I expect that the two will diverge somewhat radically.

" the question will be asked, again and again until those asking get the answer they want."

A myth perpetrated by those with a particular agenda. Circumstances change and only the paranoid would think that the same question cannot be asked again. The GFA, a Westminster agreement, indicates that referendums should have a 7 year interval, not unreasonable. Under the that same guideline Scotland could put the question again in 2021.

"Personally I am of the opinion that leaving the United Kingdom,..............................................

seems rather pointless."

You may well think it is pointless but try telling that to the Scottish fishing industry or the whisky producers. Of course you are only interested in the fishing boats being the most vocal. What about the farmers, salmon farming was the largest food export from the UK in 2017 and that along with the shellfish comes under severe threat from leaving the EU.

Scotland's largest exports come under threat and you think it is pointless, that would be the Englishman speaking.

10 hours ago, Jip99 said:

I was well informed when I voted.

If I am even better informed now, it largely reinforces my negativity towards the EU.

Another vote is pointless, I would vote the same way and so would every Brexiteer that I have spoken to. 

Do students take the final exams a few weeks after starting school? Of course not, a period of study is required.

In the brexit issue the whole nation, and in particular the politicians, were effectively uneducated in the complexity of the matter. Anyone that thought they knew were speaking from ignorance rather than knowledge. It would appear that many consider anti EU sentiment as some form of knowledge.

David Cameron was warned about problems in respect of the GFA before the referendum bill saw the light of day, but shrugged it off as irrelevant. Somehow I feel the brexit negotiators would take a different view on relevance.

After 3 and a half years of further education the brexit question can only be answered with a "resit". General elections are exactly that, "general", and do not provide an answer to any specific question.

14 hours ago, SheungWan said:

London feels the same way about the backward regions.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sadly, (in my experience) this is true.

A majority of people living in London genuinely consider other regions as "backward regions" - hence the creation of terms such as 'North of Watford' etc. :sad:

Edited by el torro

10 minutes ago, el torro said:

Sadly, (in my experience) this is true.

A majority of people living in London genuinely consider other regions as "backward regions" - hence the creation of terms such as 'North of Watford' etc. :sad:

True,but taken in context,north of Watford would take in Bradford,Huddersfield,most Yorkshire and east Lancashire towns,..but this is what Brexit was all about, <deleted> populations have ruined those towns,cities/regions Stopping immigration is one thing,not flooding the country with it as labour so desperately wants. Brexit,no bust

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Do students take the final exams a few weeks after starting school? Of course not, a period of study is required.

In the brexit issue the whole nation, and in particular the politicians, were effectively uneducated in the complexity of the matter. Anyone that thought they knew were speaking from ignorance rather than knowledge. It would appear that many consider anti EU sentiment as some form of knowledge.

David Cameron was warned about problems in respect of the GFA before the referendum bill saw the light of day, but shrugged it off as irrelevant. Somehow I feel the brexit negotiators would take a different view on relevance.

After 3 and a half years of further education the brexit question can only be answered with a "resit". General elections are exactly that, "general", and do not provide an answer to any specific question.

An interesting post, but "a period of study"?

All the "study" boils down to is biased opinion!  There is no way to forecast what will happen in the short/medium/long term if the UK actually 'brexits' - other than an undeniably short term drop in sterling, as this will be hated by the money markets.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JAG said:

You didn't have to read it.

By the way, I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but as we are talking about writing styles, yours is remarkably reminiscent of that of a couple of other chaps who used to post here - "Grouse" and "Handsome Gardener" I think they called themselves.

I'm sure it is just a coincidence...

Just gets duller and duller.

You're correct I didn’t have to read it but out of politeness I went through it looking for the point but sadly got to the end only to find there wasn’t one ????

When on the backfoot it’s better to debate your way out of trouble (using as few words as possible please) than attempt to grass your way out. You’ll feel better for it. 

PS - I have provided my chief stalker with the Grouse ‘evidence’ and wouldn’t know a rododendrum from a sausage sandwich !! 

Edited by Bruntoid

14 minutes ago, zorrow424 said:

True,but taken in context,north of Watford would take in Bradford,Huddersfield,most Yorkshire and east Lancashire towns,..but this is what Brexit was all about, <deleted> populations have ruined those towns,cities/regions Stopping immigration is one thing,not flooding the country with it as labour so desperately wants. Brexit,no bust

Unfortunately the wealthy in Northern towns also consider themselves as more elite and cosmopolitan than everyone else in the area - without realising that those in London (mostly) consider them too as "backwards"! ????

(quote re. "backwards"  is from Sheung Wai's post).

But I do agree with your comment re. the devastating effect of FOM on the poor.

Edited by el torro

1 hour ago, zorrow424 said:

And how do you think that Brexit would solve the problems in Bradford and Huddersfield? Yes they do have an immigrant problem but please tell me where these immigrants are from. The EU?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1