Ability to visit half-Thai child when relationship with mother ends

Quick question about the ability to visit half-Thai child (I am the father) if the relationship with the mother ends.

I guess the question relates to:

* Obtaining non-immigrant O visa at consulate with documents if the mother doesn't cooperate in providing documents like original birth certificate, copy of blue book, copy of ID, etc. (I'm unsure if she will at this point or not);

* Getting extensions in Thailand to visit the child if the mother and I don't live in the same house or same province (both scenarios could happen)

* Any other things I should be aware of

If you cannot get the required documents from here then you would not be able to apply for the non-o visa or 60 day extension.

Some of the problems can be overcome though if you have a copy of the birth certificate. A Amphoe would certify the copy and attach a print out of the birth registration to it

With a copy of the birth certificate you could also get a printout of your child's house book registry that would be accepted. You do not need copies of their mother's house book or ID card.

Your child has to be with you when you apply for a 60 day extension to visit your child. If they are with you the application can be done at at the designated office for where you are living with proof of residence. There is no requirement to do it where the house book registry is for.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tabarin said:

Long story short: you basically need a willing mother or be screwed, certainly with the current visa policies. 

No changes to the requirements for a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai for many years.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No changes to the requirements for a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai for many years.

I am talking about the fact, that you basically need another visa than non-o when the mother not helps you out, which then gets you stuck with the current policies. Makes this group of people really vulnerable at the moment, in my opinion and to my experience.

Edited by tabarin

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Best to gather documents at the time, and keep them somewhere safe if you need them later.

After, it's usually too late.

Yeah I got all documents + plenty copies of everything incl. mother passport / id card etc. But unsure how far that would get me without my son and her present. 
The last time I applied for non-o in Vientiane they required signed docs + ID from my wife too, even the visa was based on the child. 

43 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I remember reading the 1997 Constitution which stated that a parent could not be refused entry into Thailand if they had a Thai child, unless they had committed a criminal offence.

That constitution has been gone since the coup in 2006.

I suspect if it was still in effect the parent would have to the legal parent of a child by way of marriage or legitimization.

The newest one states a Thai cannot be denied entry.

• Like 1

All starts with the fact if the childern are linked to you and that you are the father in the system

Father as in registered in the system because you where married to the mother when the child involved was born or by court after DNA test (prefferable done by foresenic department of the bangkok police).

This makes all easier.

Then you can apply in court for custody.

You will get a visa to be able to attent the court hearing as well attent the investigation done by the juvenile department of the provical goverment the children are registered according to the housebook.

If you have already cusotdy theb all is a bit easier even inder thai law.

Because father and mother are imoortant and the juvenile department supports tje involvement of both parents.

Make sure you have all dociments ready about you provate situation as well finacial.

The translation of the documents you can do it the best at the offices that are  at the ministery if foerign affairs in bangkok.

The laywer office that supported me in in my case the translation service they offered of those documents they not apprvoed because of translation errors and wrong interpreations. This diepsite that they would provide a good interpation and correct translation that could be used at the monistery of foreign affairs.

Back home the officails of the Thai consul and thai embassy also when upset about the translation errors and bad interpretation when shown the documents

But as we all know deframation act they will sue you with even when you tell the truth and can show the documents. Depote there are offices who do real good translations this experience makes that it is wise and use only the services at the ministery of foreign affairs and under the cinditions as the ministery of foreign affairs recommends to do.

Having mentioned this and save you a lot of frustration, time and money the following you have to keep in nind.

Thailans recognizes the international right of the children and as I personally found out wil act to it too in my case.

All will succeed by your preparation as well take a lawyer (preferable female) who is good thai speaking and when go to court or interviews also take a translator with you. Prefferable females becasue work better in this case.

Show that you want to care

Show repsect to the positoon of the mother and knwo where the money is they juvenile want to have the child.

Do what you preach andthen act to it.

Show respect for the morher and inderstand her postion. As well most is doen to please the family and status of herself.

Underline the statement that a child need to have the free access to father and mother when they want. Also that they need to have good education and support in the cultural backgound. Thai and yours.

Yours background and family only you can provide.

Good luck

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, tabarin said:

Yeah I got all documents + plenty copies of everything incl. mother passport / id card etc. But unsure how far that would get me without my son and her present. 
The last time I applied for non-o in Vientiane they required signed docs + ID from my wife too, even the visa was based on the child. 

you dont need them physically there in my experience. i have Applied for many such non-o visas. 

makes sense, because the point f the visa is for you to visit them.

the signatures are a different story, but many thai people write alike.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you cannot get the required documents from here then you would not be able to apply for the non-o visa or 60 day extension.

Some of the problems can be overcome though if you have a copy of the birth certificate. A Amphoe would certify the copy and attach a print out of the birth registration to it

With a copy of the birth certificate you could also get a printout of your child's house book registry that would be accepted. You do not need copies of their mother's house book or ID card.

Your child has to be with you when you apply for a 60 day extension to visit your child. If they are with you the application can be done at at the designated office for where you are living with proof of residence. There is no requirement to do it where the house book registry is for.

I’ve been told directly by immigration in Chiang Mai that they will not issue me an extension on my non o single entry for Thai child unless I am making significant progress toward the year long extension requirements.  I was told that only under very specific circumstances such as needing one more month to get the total 400k in your bank account or missing an item or two from the crazy long list of one year extension requirements.  If your not pursuing the one year extension they won’t give a 60 day extension.  This is my experience over the last year with Chiang Mai and non o single entry for Thai child.  So I just go every 3 months to a se Asia country do my thing and come back.  The extra 60 days would be great but I haven’t gotten one yet 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, newbruisers23 said:

(I am the father) ...... relationship with the mother ends.

I have read you must be married or have child "registered" to be considered father in Thailand.  

"If you are not married and you have not voluntarily gone to Court/Amphoe to have child registered stating you as the father, then you are not the father in Thai law.  Even if your name is on the birth certificate."

BTW: Do you pay child support? 

Edited by Skallywag
grammer

43 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

I have read you must be married or have child "registered" to be considered father in Thailand.  

"If you are not married and you have not voluntarily gone to Court/Amphoe to have child registered stating you as the father, then you are not the father in Thai law.  Even if your name is on the birth certificate."

BTW: Do you pay child support? 

This is incorrect information, I only have my name on the birth certificate and never went to court or any administrative office to be legally recognized as the father.  I’ve gotten non O visas in Laos and Vietnam and never have seen or heard of needing registration from Thai authority or courts. 

In in terms of making decisions for the child then you would be correct in that I would need to be registered through the courts as being a legal guardian and parent of the child.

Edited by Ajvat37

On 10/3/2019 at 10:04 AM, BritManToo said:

Best to gather documents at the time, and keep them somewhere safe if you need them later.

A few photocopies of Birth certificate and house book cost nothing.

After, it's usually too late.

immigration wants to see ORIGINALS,  copies are worthless

44 minutes ago, justin case said:

immigration wants to see ORIGINALS,  copies are worthless

Maybe the birth certificate. But a certified copy can be done at an Amphoe.

Copies of the house registry is accepted.