EU official says Johnson's Brexit offer 'can't fly'

snoop1130

1 hour ago, david555 said:

Part of :

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/oct/04/rory-stewart-resigns-from-tories-brexit-article-50-boris-johnson-live-news

6m ago 10:01

Later today, the Court of Session – Scotland’s highest civil court – will hear arguments over whether Boris Johnson can be forced to extend Article 50.

This would avert a no-deal Brexit if a deal is not struck and passed through parliament, and the legal action will ask the Court of Session to require Boris Johnson to seek an extension to avoid leaving the EU without a deal.

The legal action, led by businessman Vince Dale, SNP MP Joanna Cherry QC and Jolyon Maugham QC, could also see a court official given the power to sign the letter if the prime minister refuses to do so.

Since one of the litigants is a Member of Parliament, and since the courts have recently overturned the prorogation of parliament, the rational response of the court must surely be to tell her to raise the matter in parliament.

However we do not live in rational times...

21 minutes ago, JAG said:

Since one of the litigants is a Member of Parliament, and since the courts have recently overturned the prorogation of parliament, the rational response of the court must surely be to tell her to raise the matter in parliament.

However we do not live in rational times...

Part of :

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/oct/04/rory-stewart-resigns-from-tories-brexit-article-50-boris-johnson-live-news

1m ago 11:55

UK government lose bid to delay Scottish court case which could force Article 50 extension

The Guardian’s Scotland editor Severin Carrell has been at the Court of Session’s Inner House – Scotland’s highest civil court –

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

At least he didn't have to be weeded out.....Hoora...

Better than that was the Labour guy, in palement slagging off Corbyn, he was right on the ball.....

Hissing Sid has just guaranteed Citizen Khan another 4 years!

4 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Totally agree with the principle but I think that revoking article 50 now will not heal any wounds.  Britain is broken over this dreadful Brexit fiasco.  But it's bigger than Brexit, which has just highlighted the vast gap in the way that the country is at logger heads.  It will take many years to get over the vitriol and maybe never completely.

Two World  Wars ,  failed to achieve a  broken  Britain . 

Brexiteers ,  indeed have created  a broken britain .

Never to recover , The end ..

Edited by elliss

On 10/3/2019 at 6:46 PM, billd766 said:

I agree with not putting the responsibility wholly on the EU.

Teresa May should accept 50% of the responsibility. It took her over 3 years to screw up Brexit for the EU and people are blaming Boris for the problem now, when he cannot do the job properly due to parliament and lawyers restricting from doing his job.

Johnson stopped Brexit on May’s watch, and he’ll do it on his own.  Now it’s really starting to fester, he’ll seek a delay since has no deal, then a general election, pass the poisoned chalice to someone less competent or more craven, if they can be found, and then find his ditch, if his proclaimed ambition is to be believed.

Good job, Boris, a martyr to the cause.

• Haha 2

On 10/3/2019 at 12:46 PM, billd766 said:

I agree with not putting the responsibility wholly on the EU.

Teresa May should accept 50% of the responsibility. It took her over 3 years to screw up Brexit for the EU and people are blaming Boris for the problem now, when he cannot do the job properly due to parliament and lawyers restricting from doing his job.

It's just the Parliament, who is the leading power of a nation, never a government of even a prime minister.

Since December 2013, when Cameron came with the suggestion of a referendum, the British had time to think over what's next. 

Even THIS proposal: any idea, if it has any chance to pass the UK Parliament ? 

if not, why to bother the 27 other EU member states then… 

Maybe time for the Gaelic (con)federation: Eire, Ultster, Scotaland ( and maybe Man + Wales). Just as Belgium with Flanders, Wallone, Brussels and the East Cantons. As joining Eire, no formal discussion of re-entering the EU again.

Let England "rule the waves" again.  Oh, I LOVE this cartoon ! 

sometimes.. somebody else takes the decissions.jpg

49 minutes ago, elliss said:

We’ll recover.  You and I might not see it, our children may not see it... Maybe  it will not be the recovery we expect; maybe we’ll be the European Bhutan, desperately impoverished but happy as simpletons.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, elliss said:

When I am not mistaken, the Irish succeeded to get the British occupation forces out ( for the mayor part) .

22 hours ago, david555 said:

Remember he like to win an election …. so he has to show some (fake) achievements ….like " look I tried , but they don't want to compromise …"

Therefore, only ONE solution: let the British ( or only the English) "enjoy" being a "third country" for the EU = import duty as WTO-rules on all UK goods entering the EU ( with many then out-of-competition) and line up for a Schengen visa when want to visit the EU.

No exchange of info from inter EU-bodies anymore ( Eur Medicine Agency, EFTA, RASFF and many more), and.. as the UK does not stand behind their promises done in the past.. why the EU would pay any retirement to UK nationals ?

Severin Carrell and Heather Stewart

Fri 4 Oct 2019 15.06 BST

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/04/boris-johnson-will-write-to-eu-requesting-article-50-extension-court-told-brexit

Johnson will write to EU requesting article 50 extension, court told

Government pledge appears to contradict claim Brexit will happen on 31 October

The UK government has promised a court that Boris Johnson will send a letter to the EU seeking an extension to article 50 as required by the Benn act.

The undertaking appears to contradict the prime minister’s statements the UK will leave the EU on 31 October regardless and unattributed claims from Downing Street that he will find a way to sidestep the act.

The pledge has been given in legal papers submitted to the court of session in Edinburgh after anti-Brexit campaigners began legal action to force Johnson to uphold the act’s requirements.

more...

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, david555 said:

Severin Carrell and Heather Stewart

Fri 4 Oct 2019 15.06 BST

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/04/boris-johnson-will-write-to-eu-requesting-article-50-extension-court-told-brexit

Johnson will write to EU requesting article 50 extension, court told

Government pledge appears to contradict claim Brexit will happen on 31 October

The UK government has promised a court that Boris Johnson will send a letter to the EU seeking an extension to article 50 as required by the Benn act.

The undertaking appears to contradict the prime minister’s statements the UK will leave the EU on 31 October regardless and unattributed claims from Downing Street that he will find a way to sidestep the act.

The pledge has been given in legal papers submitted to the court of session in Edinburgh after anti-Brexit campaigners began legal action to force Johnson to uphold the act’s requirements.

I can see the Scottish courts locking him up and him using that to blame someone else for not fulfilling his promise about 31 October, and also about the ditch.

Edit: To be fair, the ditch was just a matter of preference, and as far as I am concerned, any place would do, if he martyrs himself to the cause and stops Brexit.

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I can see the Scottish courts locking him up and him using that to blame someone else for not fulfilling his promise about 31 October, and also about the ditch.

Edit: To be fair, the ditch was just a matter of preference, and as far as I am concerned, any place would do, if he martyrs himself to the cause and stops Brexit.

Case  is not completed.... , further some one else shall be appointed to do in his place , in case he anyway would not comply …..

3 minutes ago, david555 said:

Case  is not completed.... , further some one else shall be appointed to do in his place , in case he anyway would not comply …..

Someone else would probably comply with the law and the will of parliament.  Traitors! Rees-Mogg is the new Wat Tyler!

6 hours ago, transam said:

Did you know that the blind never see. Do you know why a horse has blinkers....?

I think the saying you are scratching around for is ‘none so blind as those who will not see’ 

errr the horse wears blinkers so as not to be spooked by fellow horses and it’s surroundings - the connection is ? 

Still, refreshing to see a leaver venture into historical literature - the Sun must have upped its game. 

Edited by Bruntoid
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, david555 said:

Our  Majesty the Queen,  could well be appointed ...

Edited by elliss

Just now, elliss said:

One is appointed to the Royal Household.  The Queen cannot be appointed, though she may be disappointed; the crown is hers to exercise, if she chooses, not through appointment by parliament nor plebiscite

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elliss said:

Would it not be safer to appoint a high court magistrate ….. or the speaker of the H.O.C.  ? :cheesy:

10 minutes ago, david555 said:

Would it not be safer to appoint a high court magistrate ….. or the speaker of the H.O.C.  ? :cheesy:

Mister speaker ,  ideal man for the job ,  with our our Queens blessings , so i am told ...555

Edited by elliss
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

Well well well - Bojo will be seeking the extension!! I wonder if he’s got a preferred ditch ????

English Channel , should be wide and deep enough..

Roll on Oct 31 ,  so exiting ....

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Bojo could be lying again.......

Once you have lied to the queen, another lie doesn't matter anymore.

Unless .....unless he have a secret understanding with a E.U. member state to veto on his request for extension ….(1 veto is enough …)  then he has for filled his pledge , and anyway Brexit is done at 31 October ……?????

Remember the Devil has a tail …..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, david555 said:

Unless .....unless he have a secret understanding with a E.U. member state to veto on his request for extension ….(1 veto is enough …)  then he has for filled his pledge , and anyway Brexit is done at 31 October ……?????

Remember the Devil has a tail …..

Oops...... I did not think of that.

34 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

Well well well - Bojo will be seeking the extension!!

I wonder if he’s got a preferred ditch ????

You believe it will be so simple? I really doubt... :ermm:

Or he will write the extension request letter as ordered,

but will put on the envelope: Do Not Open before November 1st... :whistling:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

You believe it will be so simple? I really doubt... :ermm:

Or he will write the extension request letter as ordered,

but will put on the envelope: Do Not Open before November 1st... :whistling:

Such kind of an action is already in the court case mentioned as a excluded possibility ….example from the 2 letters sending ….

Edited by david555

Daniel Boffey and Jennifer Rankin in Brussels

Fri 4 Oct 2019 18.25 BST

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/04/boris-johnson-brexit-plan-european-commission-no-grounds-weekend-negotiations

Boris Johnson's Brexit plan hangs by thread as EU dismisses weekend talks

Sources say PM’s insistence on Ireland customs border means there is no basis for discussions

Boris Johnson’s Brexit plans look to be falling apart as the European commission said there are no grounds to accept a request from the UK for intensive weekend negotiations two weeks before an EU summit.

EU sources said there was no basis for such discussions, given the British prime minister’s insistence on there being a customs border on the island of Ireland.

Edited by david555