Climate Change: An unstoppable movement takes hold

rooster59

20 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Another effect of CO2 emissions acidification of the Oceans

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/oceans/critical-issues-ocean-acidification/

junk science as usual, why wont you just tire ?

Western Australia’s Scott Reef has recovered from mass bleaching

a miracle ! praise the gods, scott reef has once more recovered from the natural cycle of death and recovery

that is the defining nature of eco systems.

guess superman went there and sucked the co2 up his ar$e, how else could it be explained ? given that the consensus among 97% scientits TM was too much co2 that caused the disaster !

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130405094523.htm

35 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It is interesting how, when scientists come up with nice things like smartphones and extension of the average human life span, it's accepted as part of our normal evolution to a better standard of living.

However, when we invent nasty things such as nuclear weapons, or start telling the populace they are heading for climate change unless they pull their fingers out, we get excoriated. Every right-wing journalist with zero training in scientific principles wants to hang us from the nearest lamp post.

There's a lot of ungrateful sods out there. Some are on this thread.

Well said.

6 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

plants die below 150 co2 ppm, optimal is 1200+ ppm,

so we have a long way to go in re-introducing co2 into the cycle of life. greenhouse owners and salt water aquarium owners show us the way how to promote life by artificially

adding bottled co2 to promote life growth

a team from oz has already disclosed

the positive effects we are now seeing from the vital increase of co2,

but we can do so much more for life,

a 3-fold increase of co2 should be within our capability, if we just put our backs into it

co2 through history.jpg

greening of earth.jpg

1200 ppm what would happen to the oceans at 1200pm?
We are currently at 409.96ppm and that's too much https://www.co2.earth/
Check out https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/oceans/critical-issues-ocean-acidification/
Do you make this stuff up?

10 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Somehow, I cant connect smartphones to radical restructuring of the world economy and the downgrading of the economic lifestyles in some countries in favour of others, all to be dictated by an elite that subscribes to the philosophy that humankind is a virus, that capitalism is bloodsucking, that power is the ultimate goal and that the vanguard knows best.

And you arent a scientist, you are a golfer and a lover, so dont feel insulted. Unless the scientist in you refuses to consider basic questions, viz:

What was the temperature in 1900 that forms a baseline to conclude that the earth is warming at all? Thats all I need anaswered. How warm was it on Octeber 7, 1900 in Kaktovik, Alaska?

I could explain to you the folly of using a single data point in time or place to use as a benchmark for comparison, but then I would have to start educating you in basic statistics. I'm afraid some tasks are beyond me.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I beg to differ. The Montreal Protocol on ozone depletion has already demonstrated with enough political will, it is possible to successfully turn around an environmental issue.

Human ingenuity can fix or alleviate climate change. The technology is already there to convert us from a carbon to a hydrogen fuelling system. There are a lot of vested interests fighting a rearguard action against that.

We can reduce our demands for energy and resources. Consider the mobile phone. 20 years ago it was the size of a housebrick. Or cars. Not many made with 4 - 6 litre engines nowadays, because carmakers can't sell them.

I'm shocked. Pomposity does not become you.

Ah yes, the ozone hole. No one disputed the scientific opinion, the solution was simple and didn't cost us anything. The climate change dogma is any thing but as simple or as unchallenged.

I agree that hydrogen fuel cells are the way to power electric cars, but all the emphasis is on batteries, which is the worst way to go- hugely polluting to make, cost loads to replace and polluting to dispose of plus take too long to recharge to be viable for long journeys.

Way back, small engine four cylinder cars had the performance of a lame donkey. Modern four cylinder cars are as good as an old V8, and more economical.

No one NEEDS a smartphone- I don't have one, but how would all those ecologically minded teenagers talk to all their imaginary friends without one?

4 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

a miracle ! praise the gods, scott reef has once more recovered from the natural cycle of death and recovery

guess superman went there and sucked the co2 up his ar$e, how else could it be explained ? given that the consensus among 97% scientits TM was too much co2 that caused the disaster !

Junk Science from National Geographic opposed to that of profesor brokenbone? lol

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Really. Well, usually, I speak as the Pompatus of Love.

You are showing your age, although I do admire the eclecticism of your various interests. You must be a demon at Scrabble.

4 minutes ago, monkfish said:

1200 ppm what would happen to the oceans at 1200pm?
We are currently at 409.96ppm and that's too much https://www.co2.earth/
Check out https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/oceans/critical-issues-ocean-acidification/
Do you make this stuff up?

life forms in the sea that builds a shell around them self

benefit from co2 since its a building block,

the giant ammonite thrived at 2000 ppm,

and all our other life forms clearly did just fine at 2000 ppm or they would have gone extinct in that era.

no, 400 ppm is not nearly enough for optimum life,

ask any greenhouse owner why on earth they would fork up money on bottled co2 if current level of natural co2 was anywhere near enough.

co2 It is the main food for photosynthetic plankton,

the very basis for life in the seas.

the less co2, the less algae, and the less of every specie up the food chain

ammonite.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The ozone hole was nothing to do with climate change per se.

Not per se, obviously. It was about the emission of chlorofluorocarbons to the atmosphere. Climate change is about the emission of heat and carbon dioxide to the atmosphere. A lot more difficult to understand due to its complexity, but there's no difference in the underlying driver.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I could explain to you the folly of using a single data point in time or place to use as a benchmark for comparison, but then I would have to start educating you in basic statistics. I'm afraid some tasks are beyond me.

No its OK, I can can restudy the ins and outs of statistical analysis on my own, but surely you can give me a data point? Im really trying to help you know..... the uneducated, simplistic, deplorables that deny the imminent destruction of the planet can best be convinced in the basic way one would teach a kindergartener:

Here little Donny, in 1900, the temperature was ____. Now its ____. See, its warming. Whats the reason? You are of course. You see, 1900 was when you started to have industry, you know, that means building cars and ships and planes that coincidently, your country uses to sink its bloodthirsty fangs into the necks of freedom loving peoples all over the world, but regardless, you see the connection (never use the words correlation and causation it confuses those simplistic minds), more and more industry, hotter and hotter. Thats how we know you are doing it.

Once we have that nice accurate baseline temperature number, we can convince the deplorables to hand over their burgers. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

and all our other life forms clearly did just fine at 2000 ppm or they would have gone extinct in that era.

ask any greenhouse owner why on earth they would fork up money on bottled co2 if current level of natural co2 was anywhere near enough.

ammonite.jpg

I'm with those that say climate change is the new religion of the masses, and like any religious fanatic, they will not accept that there is anything to disprove their version of the religion.

I'm expecting the Bible of climate change to be delivered from a burning bush or suchlike anytime soon. The climate scientists will then take to wearing funny hats to indicate their superiority to whom all others must obey.

Sarcasm alert for the humour devoid.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You are showing your age, although I do admire the eclecticism of your various interests. You must be a demon at Scrabble.

I love Scrabble. Give me Qs! Quincunx! Double letter and triple word. Dont let your gf play strip scrabble with me!

13 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Junk Science from National Geographic opposed to that of profesor brokenbone? lol

their hypothesis is falsified by the evidence,

their hypothesis was that increased co2 levels

caused bleaching, well heres the evidence,

they recovered later at even higher co2 levels !

so how is this possible ?

one theory is that superman and santa claus went there

in a joint effort to suck up co2 up their ar$e

so the coral reef could recover.

the only remaining theory is that their junk science

was false from start to finish, co2 had nothing to do with it.

so much for democracy in science,

97% approve my ar$e

Edited by brokenbone

7 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

ammonite.jpg

Yeah dude, global warming is what we need for seafood restaurants, can you imagine that on a plate with some of that Green Dupping Sauce. F,it, bro, sauteed in  white wine, garlic and butter! Yeah!

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Yeah dude, global warming is what we need for seafood restaurants, can you imagine that on a plate with some of that Green Dupping Sauce. F,it, bro, sauteed in  white wine, garlic and butter! Yeah!

but while climate effects co2, its not the other way around,

so we dont actually need global warming,

we just need to re-introduce the co2 that has

during millions upon millions of years been buried by these very animals, those rocks that once were ammonites

still bind the co2 that the ammonites collected,

we need to burn them to give back to the cycle of life

the co2 that the ammonites et al took with them into their grave.

this, and to a lesser extent fossil fuel,

is what have depleted co2 levels to

now pose a very real threat to life on earth, its about time we burn and give back to nature what nature,

and by extension, we our self, need,

just to cling onto life.

you could say life forms that used

co2 to build shells is a threat to

life on earth, and we, the humans,

are salvation to life on earth by re-introducing that co2 back into the atmosphere when we drive our chopper

on the sois of pattaya,

jumping happy hour places as we go.

cheers to life, gimme another leo kap

Edited by brokenbone

8 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I love Scrabble. Give me Qs! Quincunx! Double letter and triple word. Dont let your gf play strip scrabble with me!

Does quondam count? Querulous is how you are sounding on this thread.

You should learn to play pa som sip if you really want to get into a bargirl's knickers at a discount.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

Yes and from the same article.

"While it is encouraging to see such clear recovery, we need to be mindful of the fact that the coral recovery at Scott Reef still took over a decade. If, as the climate change trend suggests, we start to see coral bleaching and other related disturbances occurring more frequently, then reefs may experience a ratcheting down effect, never fully recovering before they suffer another major disturbance.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

the co2 that the ammonites et al took with them into their grave

dude you just solved the global warming problem!  And the food problem! Giant Ammonite farming! Sushi for all!

What do we do with the shells though? Nevermind, you get the Nobel Prize and Greta to boot.

26 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

ammonite.jpg

Have you ever thought of changing your moniker to brokenrecord? You posted this stuff yonks ago.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Does quondam count? Querulous is how you are sounding on this thread.

You should learn to play pa som sip if you really want to get into a bargirl's knickers at a discount.

Querulous? What a quixotic turn of phrase. You still seem a bit querulous yourself, are you still constipated?

Is that that silly game Connect Four, that alwys added $10 to my cost of love in Pattaya?

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Have you ever thought of changing your moniker to brokenrecord? You posted this stuff yonks ago.

monkfish are experiencing learning difficulties,

some things just need repetition to learn,

i myself are unable to remember what i hear,

i need to read it to memorize the picture of the text,

sometimes 3 times for it to stick

9 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Querulous? What a quixotic turn of phrase. You still seem a bit querulous yourself, are you still constipated?

Is that that silly game Connect Four, that alwys added $10 to my cost of love in Pattaya?

It's a card game. Google it, you lazy sod. Although it may cost you more than $10 if the local plod catches you at it, given they've been known to round up entire bridge clubs in Pattaya.

The only problem I have with constipation is its presence in the brain cells of some people.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

you lazy sod

Great innit? I only moved today to eat, poop, and fill the bong. OK, I did laundry, so what? Im still a slothlike slug. I lve it when you say nice things to me, your so perceptive Howie...

30 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

dude you just solved the global warming problem!  And the food problem! Giant Ammonite farming! Sushi for all!

What do we do with the shells though? Nevermind, you get the Nobel Prize and Greta to boot.

the way she grinds her teeth, i think i will get myself injured on her, i decline the offer on grounds of health,

i also am already in such a pain i truly dont want more of it

26 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

monkfish are experiencing learning difficulties,

some things just need repetition to learn,

i myself are unable to remember what i hear,

i need to read it to memorize the picture of the text,

sometimes 3 times for it to stick

OK so exactly when on this Earth were CO2 levels at 2000 ppm ? please with a link as reference.

P.s. I guess you added that text under the pic?

Edited by monkfish

9 minutes ago, monkfish said:

OK so exactly when on this Earth were CO2 levels at 2000 ppm ? please with a link as reference.

P.s. I guess you added that text under the pic?

Im still waiting for the answer to the great temperature question. Want me to ask you, or will you obfuscate like a fork tongue politico? 

16 minutes ago, monkfish said:

already did, but here it is again,

i may need up to 3 times to memorize stuff too. we can easily conclude that co2 levels has dropped to extremely low levels

from geological pov

http://www.biocab.org/carbon_dioxide_geological_timescale.html

co2 through history.jpg

Edited by brokenbone