UK could be flexible on details of Northern Ireland veto, customs plan

webfact

7 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Yes I got wrong what you got wrong. But what you did get wrong was even worse. You claimed that Ireland's living standards would fall by more than 15% after Brexit. (see post $40)

Irish exports to the UK don't even constitute 1 percent of its GDP. How does that become a decline in living standards of greater than 15%?

And the UK is going to import all the agricultural products it imports from Ireland no matter what the cost? Presumably after Brexit the UK will still be running or more or less free market principles. 

And how much more is NI going to cost the UK. It's already being subsidized to the tune of 11 billion pounds per year. Ya think Brexit is going to help the NI economy? 

Once the UK is over the line,the UK will throw ireland north and south under a bus,no doubt there,sick of it all.

UK committed to ex commonwealth,will make sure of its commitment there,not so sure of EU  ,but awaiting french fishermen rioting about exclusion zones around UK,should make interesting times

Yes got it wrong,more like 25%

18 minutes ago, zorrow424 said:

Once the UK is over the line,the UK will throw ireland north and south under a bus,no doubt there,sick of it all.

UK committed to ex commonwealth,will make sure of its commitment there,not so sure of EU  ,but awaiting french fishermen rioting about exclusion zones around UK,should make interesting times

By far the biggest economic opportunity in relation to a commonwealth state comes from India.

Immigration curbs hitting trade ties with India, say MPs
The UK has fallen behind other countries in its share of India’s fast-growing trade, in large part owing to Britain’s restrictive immigration policies, according to a new report published on Monday.

The Commons foreign affairs select committee described the UK’s neglect of longstanding ties with India as an “expensive missed opportunity”, noting Britain has slipped from being its second largest trade partner in 1998-99 to 17th in 2018-19.

The committee’s report highlighted the difficulty the UK would face in building new trade relationships outside the EU after Brexit, unless it also becomes more open to overseas workers, students and tourists.

https://www.ft.com/content/56074dda-95bd-11e9-8cfb-30c211dcd229

Although, I suspect the Indians aren't nearly so sentimental about the Raj as are some Britons.

8 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Well, but a reunited Ireland is the best solution. 

Even BJ offers a say of NI where they might tend to belong every, 4 years. 

So let UK jump! 

????????????????

Maybe not so great for the rest of Ireland. As the Irish Times article says, annexing the basket case that is Northern Ireland would mean a steep drop in the standard of living for citizens in the Republic.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, zorrow424 said:

Actually, though, Brexit could mean in increase in trade with India - for the EU.

EU hopes Brexit will help deliver an India trade deal

https://www.politico.eu/article/brexit-eu-hopes-for-india-trade-deal-talks/

Apparently, the UK isn't happy with Indian restrictions on the importation of Scotch and the Indians aren't happy with UK immigration restrictions But I'm sure Brexiters will happily welcome a large influx of Indian citizens.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, samran said:

Here a line you might have heard...’let’s take back control’.

What was that referring to?

You haven’t answered my question.

You haven’t supplied any evidence.

To answer your question, the reference was to “taking back control from Brussels”

If you are trying to play a kind of xenophobic  race card you have been duped; we always have controlled our borders from an immigration aspect (not terribly well vs targets, particularly in T. May’s time). Existing EU immigrants are protected.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, stevenl said:

Not completely fair with FvD gaining a lot in the Netherlands.

But FvD only wants a referendum about the membership of the EU. That is a complete different situation. And FvD is loosing voters already in the polls.

What a ludicrous suggestion. 

Interesting how people support democracy - but only for some and only when they like the result. That's fast becoming the hallmark of the left.
And the hard Brexiteers, fresh from their littlectriumph over suspending Parliament, now would like to lecture us on democracy.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

And the hard Brexiteers, fresh from their littlectriumph over suspending Parliament, now would like to lecture us on democracy.

wasn't the reason for the  suspension of Parliament was to uphold the democratic Brexit  vote ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jip99 said:

To answer your question, the reference was to “taking back control from Brussels”

If you are trying to play a kind of xenophobic  race card you have been duped; we always have controlled our borders from an immigration aspect (not terribly well vs targets, particularly in T. May’s time). Existing EU immigrants are protected.

Strange comment, since many times immigration has been mentioned as a root cause for brexit.

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

wasn't the reason for the  suspension of Parliament was to uphold the democratic Brexit  vote ?

That would be the first time anybody ever on the Hard Brexit side has admitted trying to shut down Parliamentary deliberations to force no-deal Brexit. Even Boris claimed otherwise. The Supreme Court saw through that charade. Seems some cheerleaders can't even follow the logic of what they are on about.

7 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Ah ha, if you say so...

E7E6E38B-9469-489C-9AC0-8DDDEF069E3C.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Ah, so it is a reason.

Thanks for proving that your fellow brexiteers are not being honest.

Honest about what?  personally I want nothing to do with this lot,do not want them imposed on me ,hear from them or see them,do not want to contribute one penny to their welfare either.  They should all be shipped back from whence they came  pronto

18 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Right, because it's the south that depends on subsidies. And it's not the north that gets 11 billion pounds in subsidies every year from the UK. Because NI is so well run.

How can you give subsidies to your own country ? NI is part of uk . Thats the same as saying manchester or liverpool gets subsidies from uk . duh. You mean they get big handouts from whitehall same as scotland.       It does not alter the fact that the majority are  protestants and want to remain in uk , if the majority want to rejoin with the south it would have happened a long time ago

50 minutes ago, bamboozle said:

How can you give subsidies to your own country ? NI is part of uk . Thats the same as saying manchester or liverpool gets subsidies from uk . duh. You mean they get big handouts from whitehall same as scotland.       It does not alter the fact that the majority are  protestants and want to remain in uk , if the majority want to rejoin with the south it would have happened a long time ago

I think you're confusing "foreign aid" with subsidies.

From Brittanica:

"Subsidy, a direct or indirect payment, economic concession, or privilege granted by a government to private firms, households, or other governmental units in order to promote a public objective. Identification of a subsidy is often complicated because of the variety of subsidy instruments, the multiplicity of the objectives they are designed to serve, and the complexity of their effects."

https://forum.thaivisa.com/forum/158-world-news/

As for that majority wanting to remain in UK, maybe not such a sure thing:

Series of Lord Ashcroft polls for Northern Ireland voters show majority in favour of Irish reunification

https://www.irishpost.com/news/series-lord-ashcroft-polls-northern-ireland-voters-show-majority-favour-irish-reunification-171239

The poll showed sentiment was virtually even. The only group by age supporting remaining in the UK was composed of those 65 years old and up.

And more of those polled considered it more important to remain in EU rather than in the UK.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zorrow424 said:

These are not coming the UK's way   but the Eu's way       one million more expected    Yes please  get me out of the EU asap

Either your borders were controlled or they weren't. Can you guys even agree on a simple thing like this?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, samran said:

Either your borders were controlled or they weren't. Can you guys even agree on a simple thing like this?

Yes,its called Brexit.  The referendum was about immigration,nothing else.  all the deal/no dealing has been added past the date

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zorrow424 said:

Yes,its called Brexit.  The referendum was about immigration,nothing else.  all the deal/no dealing has been added past the date

Wow - Zorrow now appears to be the leavers spokesman - what a state to get in ! 

So you expected a split to happen with no discussion of the future relationship/deals ? Wasn’t the ‘frictionless’ trade deals mentioned at the time ?

You realise you make other leavers toes curl up when commenting right ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are lots of opinions about what the referendum was about, but the only thing standing up is the wording on the voting paper. And because any terms of leaving were absent, the detail is left to Parliament to resolve.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, stevenl said:

Strange comment, since many times immigration has been mentioned as a root cause for brexit.

Not by me.

I fear you are suffering from narrow focus. Brexit goes way beyond immigration, which the government  should have been doing better...... Boris’ Australian copy is a starting point. Not directly related to Brexit.

Ah, so it is a reason.
Thanks for proving that your fellow brexiteers are not being honest.

One of a few reasons to be exact. Did you Remainers think it was all about a sticker on the side of a bus?
Remainers like to tell us we didn’t know what we were voting for, but still can’t put their Remainer finger on one single reason. Probably because there wasn’t one single reason.
  • Like 1

One of a few reasons to be exact. Did you Remainers think it was all about a sticker on the side of a bus?
Remainers like to tell us we didn’t know what we were voting for, but still can’t put their Remainer finger on one single reason. Probably because there wasn’t one single reason.
The slogan on the bus is an excellent reminder of how Boris and the Hard Brexit project has never stopped lying since then.

Not by me.

I fear you are suffering from narrow focus. Brexit goes way beyond immigration, which the government  should have been doing better...... Boris’ Australian copy is a starting point. Not directly related to Brexit.
For the Conspiracy Theory eating crowd taking a ride on the Brexit bus, nationalism, immigration and racism is their core focus and link with past histories. All other stuff, including economics just a disposable fig leaf and acceptable collateral damage.