About Pepper Spray & Stun Gun

mrchallenger

I've seen this stuff in Pratunam market.

Not sure of it's legality.

I carried pepper spray in the U.S. when I worked as personal security. It required a permit.

Never did have to use it, but felt more secure knowing it was there.

nice first post ..................

I not one to suggest this often but if you feel you need such items perhaps Thailand is not for you ,

Extreme adventure tourism ???

Considering the many reports of attacks and violence that occur here AND in other countries, why is Thailand 'not for him'???? The guy goes back to his place late at night. Obviously he feels the need to protect himself. <deleted> is wrong with protecting yourself against scum? Can't understand your logic mid........ Just because it hasn't happened to you doesnt mean that it can't happen, here or anywhere else!!!

mrchallenger, try MBK I'm sure will find what you want there.

nice first post ..................

I not one to suggest this often but if you feel you need such items perhaps Thailand is not for you ,

Extreme adventure tourism ???

Excuse me Mid, Do you live in Thailand or have you ever even been here? Violence is a fact of life on all ground no matter what flag flies over it. While most Thais are sweet and innocent the few evil bass turds that are around are truly evil and can justify the holding of any imaginable weapon. For that matter the culture is one where swords, baseball bats, brass knuckles, automatic knives, collapsible batons, black jacks, and billy clubs are sold in every single market I have ever been to in Thailand. I don't know about you but I have not seen to many baseball diamonds nor little league games in the land of smiles.

At first, I was looking at Amazon and eBay. As its legality cannot be verified, I will try my luck at Pattunam and MBK. Thanks a lot wadsy and pumpuiman for your help.

Just go over to Chinatown and Indiantown and walk around, thats where all the wholesale markets are for the best selection and prices.

Hi all,

I am quite new in bangkok. Sometimes I go back to my place quite late. So that I would like to carry pepper spray or stun gun. Carrying these are legal or illegal in thailand? If legal, where can I find it?

Legal issues aside, never carry gear that you're not fully qualified to use. Keyword: "retention".

I agree with qwerty, best just to look for the exit and fast, but as we all know, there are times when that just doesn’t work, and the use of a "device" maybe won't work either (can make things a lot worse), I would suggest lessons on self defence would be better.

Mid is spot on.

If you think that carrying illegal weapons in Thailand will help you in any way, then you are a fool!

I really shouldn't need to elaborate, but there are plenty of numbskulls around so:-

1) If you have a fight here you will lose. If you escalate it, you will still lose, but in a more violent way.

2) The police will eat you alive. Even if you were in the right, you will be crucified.

I've had experience of having big trouble in Asia (Mongolia), and one of the morons I was with pulled out a pepper spray. We got slaughtered at the time, then their more aggressive and better equiped friends arrived to further slaughter us (because of the pepper spray it got escalated), then the police arrived and it got really bad!

I am only breathing because we had some local top notch personal security guards (who had shotguns, but were clearly petrified), and I got the next flight out of the country.

Leave your ego in your home country, or Thailand will get you killed, as Mid correctly suggested (i.e. it is not for you).

Just use your brain - that is the best weapon you have here.

Jason

Mid is spot on.

If you think that carrying illegal weapons in Thailand will help you in any way, then you are a fool!

I really shouldn't need to elaborate, but there are plenty of numbskulls around so:-

1) If you have a fight here you will lose. If you escalate it, you will still lose, but in a more violent way.

2) The police will eat you alive. Even if you were in the right, you will be crucified.

I've had experience of having big trouble in Asia (Mongolia), and one of the morons I was with pulled out a pepper spray. We got slaughtered at the time, then their more aggressive and better equiped friends arrived to further slaughter us (because of the pepper spray it got escalated), then the police arrived and it got really bad!

I am only breathing because we had some local top notch personal security guards (who had shotguns, but were clearly petrified), and I got the next flight out of the country.

Leave your ego in your home country, or Thailand will get you killed, as Mid correctly suggested (i.e. it is not for you).

Jason

Spot on Jason, all we have are ourselves and our wits, surely that is enough. If you feel you need more then the game is already over....... Still there is always the next life........

Mid is spot on.

Jason

I suppose your a expert on these matters? Pepper spray and stun guns are best used as escape or distance gaining devices in a confrontation. Just because you got your butt kicked and chose to cut and run in Mongolia is no reflection on what goes on in Thailand. I have to doubt your eligibility to give this advice here as many who have been attacked who were unarmed have died when a good dose of pepper spray or electricity could have been a deciding factor that helped them escape or turned the tide in a life and death struggle.

I do not in anyway mean to make light of the young girls who were raped and murdered as tourists here in Thailand in the last year but I have to ask myself the question "What if they had some type of weapon? Would they still be alive?"

Mid is spot on.

Jason

I suppose your a expert on these matters? Pepper spray and stun guns are best used as escape or distance gaining devices in a confrontation. Just because you got your butt kicked and chose to cut and run in Mongolia is no reflection on what goes on in Thailand. I have to doubt your eligibility to give this advice here as many who have been attacked who were unarmed have died when a good dose of pepper spray or electricity could have been a deciding factor that helped them escape or turned the tide in a life and death struggle.

I do not in anyway mean to make light of the young girls who were raped and murdered as tourists here in Thailand in the last year but I have to ask myself the question "What if they had some type of weapon? Would they still be alive?"

You wouldn't be an American, would you? We all know how you love you right to weapons...

Weapons do do not help. Your brain is the thing that's required.

As far as the Mongolia situation went, I put myself at huge personal risk to save the <deleted> who used pepper spray (an American chap, as chance would have it). Most other people would have run, and I probably should have. The pepper sprayed Mongolian who ended up in hospital turned out to be the son of a cabinet minister. Once, the nice, and brave pepper spray owning American had told the police that it was my pepper spray, do you think that I would have been better off staying?

Pepper spray and stun guns are illegal here. Why are you advocating them?

I stick by all my earlier comments.

Jason

Mid is spot on.

Jason

You wouldn't be an American, would you? We all know how you love you right to weapons...

Weapons do do not help. Your brain is the thing that's required.

As far as the Mongolia situation went, I put myself at huge personal risk to save the <deleted> who used pepper spray (an American chap, as chance would have it). Most other people would have run, and I probably should have. The pepper sprayed Mongolian who ended up in hospital turned out to be the son of a cabinet minister. Once, the nice, and brave pepper spray owning American had told the police that it was my pepper spray, do you think that I would have been better off staying?

Pepper spray and stun guns are illegal here. Why are you advocating them?

I stick by all my earlier comments.

Jason

True story or urban legend? Seems like a plot straight out of a movie, something you are using to convey your expertise on such matters. Evidently you were not smart enough to avoid conflict and confrontation and found yourself in a situation where a weapon was used successfully by some American. Regardless the original poster simply asked a question yet you and others decided to rant on how right you are about your personal choices of self defense and self denial of the dangerous environment in Thailand. Stun guns may very well be illegal but so is prostitution and I doubt that fact has bothered many of the piss artists who make themselves at home in the local whorehouses.

Regardless of there legality or not, assume you'll be charged with assault for using them regardless of circumstances.

Your still safer here than in most places, common sense and keeping your wits about you will keep you out of most trouble. :o

I think advocating any type of weapon for defensive purposes to people who haven't received professionals training in it's use is irresponsible.

I agree with the other posters who say that the Thai police will take action against any armed Farang they come across while cheerfully turning a blind eye to piss artists (don't tell me that's illegal too!) who frolic with bargirls.

Just out of curiosity how effective is pepper spray? There was a story in the papers last month about police using it on some nut case without much effect.

Regardless of there legality or not, assume you'll be charged with assault for using them regardless of circumstances.

Your still safer here than in most places, common sense and keeping your wits about you will keep you out of most trouble. :o

I agree that common sense is the best answer, avoidance, deescalation, sobriety, these are all better solutions than violence in any form. They also have little relevance when one is attacked physically. At that point survival is the game and escape is the desired option yet death may very well be the end of it. A simple hand held cheepo Chinese electronic stun gun could very well buy you the moment you need to escape and run away to either a cab or police station.

In most cases where one is attacked such as a robbery it is rare that one would face criminal charges for fighting for their life while defending against attackers, if one did I believe it would be worth it. My comments here are directed towards sober and honest people who live and work in Thailand who may become the subject of a robbery or unprovoked attack. I'm in no way suggesting tourists much less piss artists, football hooligans, or any debaucher's should be or need be running around Bangkok or Thailand with any weapon. More than likely the latter mentioned would be the very people who are most likely to cause problems in the first place and are the exact people one would need to arm themselves against, even if it is less than lethal weapons.

Beretta-1.jpgf14c8e4b-9538-4416-9f1e-abca86dc2414Large.jpg

We take off, nuke them, only way to be sure.

:D:D:bah:

A trusted brand in stainless steel, inox. A good choice for hot and humid climate. As for calibre, I think it comes in 9mm Parabellum and 40 S&W. Personally I would go the 40 S&W, more stopping power, less problems with over penetration with a good jacketed hollow point munition :o:D:D

Firearms are extremely off topic on this thread, this is about pepper spray and stun guns which you can buy anywhere and everywhere around Bangkok and other markets. There have been many gun threads in the past and your welcome to start a new one but firearms are no joke and getting busted in Thailand for having illegal war weapons will have you living in the monkey house for many years.

And the end result = No weapons needed (unless you are a yank, in which case just show me the catalogue) :o

Two policemen gunned down

By Muhammad Ayub Pathan

Two policemen were shot and killed in broad daylight at a crowded market in Bacho district yesterday. The attack took place around midday at Ban Tonsai market on Phetkasem road. The daylight shooting sent terrified shoppers scurrying for cover.

Pol Cpl Teerayuth Yangsung, 30, and Pol L/C Assawin Chaisaj, 25, were pronounced dead on the way to hospital.

Police said the officers, part of a team manning a checkpoint opposite the market, were shopping when the assailants, mingling among the crowd, opened fire.

Meanwhile, Pol Col Phumpet Pipatpetphum, chief of Muang district police in Yala, said more security officers were being deployed and regular checks made on rented houses to make sure no militants were infiltrating the area.Elsewhere three villagers in Kabang district were injured in separate gun attacks on Friday.