Thousands flee, hundreds reported dead in Turkish attack on U.S.-allied Kurds in Syria

webfact

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

A nice try would be blaming Trump for everything.

Surely he doesn't decide anything by himself.

He decided to green light Turkey’s assault on the Kurds.

Whether or not that was a decision he made all Byblos himself is another issue.

It certainly was not a decision he made with any input from the Pentagon or the Department of State.

cui bono?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Turkey the masters of genocides and race/ethnic cleansing.... from Kurds, Greeks, Armenians, Cyprus and the list goes on and on....

In July 1974 a chain of events resulted in Turkey invading Cyprus under the pretext that it was a peace operation to bring back peace and stability to the island. The outcome of this invasion has been far reach and still impacts the island and its inhabitants today; it also impacts Turkey and the wider global powers too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Turkey

Cyprus is a particularly poor choice to use to condemn Turkey. The Turkish incursion was in reaction to a right wing Greek ethnic push to have Greece annex the island.

Edited by bristolboy
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

are you sure ? it appears he doesn't listen to anybody even to his own "smart/lovely" daughter

Even the ancient emperors used to have a plethora of advisers and ministers, should i believe that Trump has absolute military power ? He is just a puppet, doing what he's told to do.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

He decided to green light Turkey’s assault on the Kurds.

Whether or not that was a decision he made all Byblos himself is another issue.

It certainly was not a decision he made with any input from the Pentagon or the Department of State.

cui bono?

Cui bono... Good question.

Personally i can just hope they kick Turkey out of Nato, but probably it's not going to happen.

Quite likely we'll have another load of desperate refugees to deal with.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Even the ancient emperors used to have a plethora of advisers and ministers, should i believe that Trump has absolute military power ? He is just a puppet, doing what he's told to do.

Yes, Deep State, right?

before (with some previous POTUS) we knew who was controlling the WH with Trump am not sure if he's a puppet of somebody, maybe you are right but I always remember the advise Obama gave him after the election, Obama said """ don't go at it alone, don't try to do everything by yourself....) maybe Trump didn't listen or didn't pay attention or his ego got the best of him..... just saying

Of course not, just speculation, and quite reasonable imho.

Which is why James Mattis resigned after Trump made his original huge concession to Turkey. You think Bolton, the neocon frother, is happy about this? Even Republican Senators are mostly unhappy. So I guess these parties aren't aligned with whomever it is you claim is pulling the strings.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Cui bono... Good question.

Personally i can just hope they kick Turkey out of Nato, but probably it's not going to happen.

Quite likely we'll have another load of desperate refugees to deal with.

I suspect generating another refugee crisis is the reason behind Putin’s support to Turkey in this attrocity.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

before (with some previous POTUS) we knew who was controlling the WH with Trump am not sure if he's a puppet of somebody, maybe you are right but I always remember the advise Obama gave him after the election, Obama said """ don't go at it alone, don't try to do everything by yourself....) maybe Trump didn't listen or didn't pay attention or his ego got the best of him..... just saying

Well, afaik in theory the potus is chief of the US army, in the reality it would be truly unbelievable that a character like Trump has any real power at all.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Cyprus is a particularly poor choice to use to condemn Turkey. The Turkish incursion was in reaction to a right wing Greek ethnic push to have Greece annex the island.

In July 1974 a chain of events resulted in Turkey invading Cyprus under the pretext that it was a peace operation to bring back peace and stability to the island.

maybe so but the reason/reaction is a very similar one, Turkey complains kurds are pushing into Turkey territory, same as they said about the Greeks in Cyprus

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

In July 1974 a chain of events resulted in Turkey invading Cyprus under the pretext that it was a peace operation to bring back peace and stability to the island.

maybe so but the reason/reaction is a very similar one, Turkey complains kurds are pushing into Turkey territory, same as they said about the Greeks in Cyprus

Except the Greeks actually were proposing to eliminate the ethnic Turkish enclave in Cyprus.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No, I asked if that was your opinion. The questionmark was a bit of a giveaway.

Well, won't call it "deep state", but it's quite obvious to me that the big economical interests are pulling the strings. Probably even the US army itself counts more than any politicians.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

So I guess these parties aren't aligned with whomever it is you claim is pulling the strings.

It's not about being "aligned" or not, they do what they are told to do... or else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

Except the Greeks actually were proposing to eliminate the ethnic Turkish enclave in Cyprus.

..... and?  2 wrongs make one right ? I used Cyprus to show Turkey way of dealing with different race/ ethnic when it doesn't go their way, they "clean" imprisoned their own people after the so called military coup attempt, but that's ok, not making a big deal out of nothing, it's just my opinion and we don't have to agree

20 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I suspect generating another refugee crisis is the reason behind Putin’s support to Turkey in this attrocity.

I agree, and surely it's not great news for the EU countries.

Now i'm curious to see what will happen with Turkey, given that its ambassadors have been urgently summoned by various governments.

Hopefully the diplomacy will sort things out.

16 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

..... and?  2 wrongs make one right ? I used Cyprus to show Turkey way of dealing with different race/ ethnic when it doesn't go their way, they "clean" imprisoned their own people after the so called military coup attempt, but that's ok, not making a big deal out of nothing, it's just my opinion and we don't have to agree

I don't know about you but I think the difference between an actual threat and a fictional one is significant.

58 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Erdogan attributes his loss of popularity to the influx of Syrian refugees, so he is looking to relocate them out of Turkey one way or the other

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

great point.... his dirty controlling mind always a step ahead, Turkey has Russia anti missile system...hmmm you scratch my back I scratch yours that's their modo

44 minutes ago, Becker said:

I didn't, I quoted someone who said that. Please ask the mods to delete your post since you messed up the quotes and made it look like I said it.

Now now old chap (may i call you Boris) does this make you feel better

My public humble crawling apologies to above he did not say that... the gentleman below did

Dear God i hope thats all clear now

Ps i still totally disagree..... is it beer time yet!

6 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

As a man of peace, I support a fellow man of peace, Donald Trump's, efforts to restore dignity and sovereignty to Syria.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Opl said:

Erdogan attributes his loss of popularity to the influx of Syrian refugees, so he is looking to relocate them out of Turkey one way or the other

On the one hand, he does have a legitimate gripe about Turkey being saddled with all these refugees.

What makes his gripe somewhat less legitimate is that he originally pushed strongly for Assad to be deposed.

42 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

On the one hand, he does have a legitimate gripe about Turkey being saddled with all these refugees.

What makes his gripe somewhat less legitimate is that he originally pushed strongly for Assad to be deposed.

From “compassionate Islamism” to “Turkey first”

July 2016 : " "We are going to help our Syrian friends in offering them the chance, if they want it, to acquire Turkish nationality." 

Erdoğan’s alliance with Turkey’s nationalists has in the last few years ensured his electoral fortunes “But today, the nationalists are at the forefront of the anti-refugee camp"

"In his first comments on the issue since announcing the plan, Erdogan said Syrians with dual citizenship did not have to return to Syria once the conflict was over. "
"When Turks went to Germany in 1963, no one asked whether they would or would not return to Turkey," he said

Now Erdogan understands what it means to feel like " native-foreigners" in their own country

Edited by Opl

14 hours ago, bristolboy said:

"As Turkey prepared its offensive around 14,000 Syrian rebels sought to support the upcoming battle. This is part of the increasing way in which Turkey has encouraged the Syrian rebels to focus on fighting the YPG, as opposed to fighting the Syrian regime, redirecting the remnants of the Syrian rebellion towards helping Turkey secure border areas.

https://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Is-Turkey-burying-Syrias-revolution-by-using-Syrian-rebels-against-YPG-598324

As a member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Turkey's jihadi policies have direct and indirect impact on Western security. "Turkish support to jihadists is not merely a tactic aimed at removing Assad from power. It stems from a strategic decision on the part of Turkish authorities to influence Middle East affairs through non-state actors, much as Iran has been doing for some time. Turkey's support of jihadists transiting into Syria and its establishment of close ties with Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood are joint aspects of this strategy. "

17 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Obama said """ don't go at it alone, don't try to do everything by yourself....)

Trump runs contrary to almost everything that Obama did, said or even thought about doing.

Quite possibly, by Obama telling this to Trump, it enhanced his desire to go it alone.

• Like 2