Dual Health coverage

Momofarang

Since it becomes inevitable that I'll have to buy one of the "excremently" local health plans on top of my current cover I'd like to know if I could use one to supplement the other. For instance, my current cover offers unlimited ODP, with 350USD + 10% copayment, would I be allowed to claim the co-payments from the Thai insurance once my claims are processed by my "real" cover? Equally my current plan reimburses only 90% of inpatient fees when I am in a fully private rooms could I use the Thai insurance to cover the 10%?

Actually it is quite remarkable that no one proposes something like a "bridging cover" that would plug any gap in existing covers and provide certifications as requested by the authorities. Too difficult for Thai brains I guess, and more importantly would go against the primary objective, which is to fleece us.

Yes, I think it should be possible though you may face issues with (1) having original receipts to provide both companies (Thai companies in particular don't accept anything but original; I have known them to reject even certified copies) and (2) the Thai company understanding why you are claiming a smaller amount that the total bill.

I recently did something similar as I have personal accident insurance  from Bangkok Insurance and then my full health insurance policy from April International, but with a USD $500 deductible. Had a bad accident for which I was hospitalized. April paid the >$20,00 USD hospital bill except for the $500 deductible. The April payment was direct to the hospital while I paid the hospital the deductible in cash and got a separate receipt for it. 

I then submitted a claim to Bangkok Insurance for the $500.  It took 6 months for them to understand the documents and how the $500 related to the full  hospital bill (though I think some of that reflects on the broker; I knew this was going to be out of the ordinary  and emailed them all the details but I think it was only after long delays and problems that they actually talked it through with the insurer). I did ultimately get it, though.

Most insurance policies have a standard clause preventing you from claiming from them anything already covered by another insurer, as one would expect, but there is no problem with claiming that which another insurer did not pay, except that it may be something of an uphill struggle to get them to understand such a claim. Buying through a good broker who can serve as intermediary would be advisable.

You might also consider dropping or reducing the OPD cover under your "real" insurance to lower the premiums and perhaps increasing the deductible or copay options.  I am thinking along the same lines in the event this %^&$ scheme metastasizes to in-country extensions of those of us who came in on non-Os years ago.  That or go for "Thai Elite".

32 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I am thinking along the same lines in the event this %^&$ scheme metastasizes to in-country extensions of those of us who came in on non-Os years ago.  That or go for "Thai Elite".

My real insurance processes claims on line, and requests me to hang onto the original for 6 months, would you if Thai insurers in would accept claims at 6 months + after expenditure?

From another recent thread, quoting the ministry of health, I understand that this insurance scheme affects all long term stayers over 50 years of age. Would be glad to see your comment there. On that post's  background poster there is something like "Thailand medical insurance ripoff hub".

My real insurance processes claims on line, and requests me to hang onto the original for 6 months, would you if Thai insurers in would accept claims at 6 months + after expenditure?

From another recent thread, quoting the ministry of health, I understand that this insurance scheme affects all long term stayers over 50 years of age. Would be glad to see your comment there. On that post's  background poster there is something like "Thailand medical insurance ripoff hub".

The police order is explicitly limited to O-A visa.

No requirement at this time for those of us on in-country extensions of stay from an earlier non-O visa and no tequirement for those on extension by reason of marriage.

The O-A and O-X are now the only visas offered for retirement and the idea might be to focus on new retirees while the existing ones' numbers gradually decline thtough attrition. At least I hope so. They already revised requirements for extension of stay for retirement with increased financials and did not see fit to add an insurance requirement at that time.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The police order specifies O-A visas only.

I would not put much credence in newspaper quotes of things officials said. Lots of garbled and contradictory stuff in that article.

What matters are official orders from Immigration...and how IOs interpret and apply them.

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The police order is explicitly limited to O-A visa.

No requirement at this time for those of us on in-country extensions of stay from an earlier non-O visa and no tequirement for those on extension by reason of marriage.

The O-A and O-X are now the only visas offered for retirement and the idea might be to focus on new retirees while the existing ones' numbers gradually decline thtough attrition. At least I hope so. They already revised requirements for extension of stay for retirement with increased financials and did not see fit to add an insurance requirement at that time.

Not sure I like the idea of  being one of those subject to 'attrition', sounds akin to euthanasia. 

Archived