‘OneCoin’ scam ends with Vietnamese fraudster’s arrest

snoop1130

According to our friends at Wiki: 

OneCoin is a Ponzi scheme[1][2] promoted as a cryptocoin with a private blockchain, by offshore companies OneCoin Ltd (Dubai) and OneLife Network Ltd (Belize), both founded by Ruja Ignatova in concert with Sebastian Greenwood.[3] OneCoin is considered a Ponzi scheme due to its organisational structure and because of the previous involvement of many of those central to OneCoin in similar schemes.[4]

I guess this Asean cooperation between the Thais and Vietnamese was just an offshoot of the real McCoy. I've never looked into crypto-currency but they seem ripe for victims of ponzi schemes, just like the one going on with Onecoin. I guess they appeal to the stupidly greedy or those win money to launder and no other choices. I assume regular people made good profits in the early days of Bitcoin, but is there really legitimate investment appeal now?   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"His passport triggered alarms and he bore a physical resemblance to the suspect being sought, so police conducted a biometric scan, allegedly prompting him to admit he was the scammer."

They keep hyping biometrics.

"His passport triggered alarms..."

Safe to say he was caught at that point.

The biometrics once again irrelevant.

Wanting to spy on citizens in internet cafes and coffeeshops, want to be able to indentify everyone everywhere.

It has little to do with catching criminals and everything to do with control.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

They keep hyping biometrics.

"His passport triggered alarms..."

Safe to say he was caught at that point.

The biometrics once again irrelevant.

And you know this because?

Do you even know what biometrics are, that now about 80% of all countries in the world have biometric passports and more than 1.5 billion people have their biometric data registered?

So hardly a Thai thing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, inspire15 said:

And you know this because?

Do you even know what biometrics are, that now about 80% of all countries in the world have biometric passports and more than 1.5 billion people have their biometric data registered?

So hardly a Thai thing.

@inspire15....  I’m not sure where you derived the numbers from, but I can assure you that 1.5 billion people certainly do not have their biometric data registered in their passports.

Biometric data, as defined by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), which functions under the auspice of the United Nations (UN), only includes fingerprints, iris scan and DNA data.  There are other forms of biometric data such as handprints, palm vein geometry etc. but these are not included within the ICAO list of biometrics.

The so called biometric passport, or to give it its correct name, Machine Readable Travel Document (MRTD), was first introduced in 2006.  However, since its introduction no biometric data has been stored on the microchip embedded within the passport.  The information which is held in an encrypted format on the microchip is identical to the biographical information given on the photo page of the passport, including the an enhanced photo of the passport holder which just shows just the face (top of head to chin - no space above or below).

In June of last year (2018) the ICAO Committee eventually ratified DOC 9303, Machine Readable Travel Documents, Seventh Edition.  This paved the way for the introduction of biometric data within MRTDs.  There is one very important point to bear in mind.  The inclusion of biometric data is not mandatory.  Individual issuing authorities may decide whether to include, or not, biometric data within their MRTDs.

I can say with almost 99.99% certainty, Thai Immigration are currently hyping the term biometrics to possibly justify their considerable capital investment in the new system which they have recently purchased.  Most of the detections which they attribute to biometric data are in fact as a result of the facial recognition system which they have had for some considerable time.

Before you ask “And you know because?”.  I spent 10 years of my life working on the eBoarder control project, which was a joint project between NSA and GCHQ following 911.  I was a principle project officer responsible for the design, development and installation of many of the eBoarder control systems (including MRTD and APIS) which are currently used throughout the world today.  Shortly before my retirement in 2013, I was awarded a CBE for my contribution to security.

• Like 1

Most ponzi scheme still use fiat money. Cryptocurrencies are simply more efficient at moving money so it makes sense that criminals are switching to them. There is also a lot of hype with the words "crypto" and "blockchain" as with "biometrics". It sounds good but it's more about marketing buzzwords than the technology itself. 

Edited by Tayaout