Thai Driver's License

canuckamuck

Has anyone here gone through the process of getting a Thai drivers license? I have always just used my international license but I was curious about the process. Is there any advantage or is it not worth the bother? I was also considering the experience might be worthy of small article comparing western and Asian license requirements, potentially there’s a bit of cross-cultural humor in it.

It's a piece of cake :D

1. Go to the 'motoring' forum, at the top there is a pinned topic with all the information you need :D

2. Follow those instructions :D

Biggest advantage is that your insurance will be valid, many if not all Thai insurance companies require you to have a 'proper' (ie Thai) licence. Reluctance to cough up in the event of a claim has been reported by users of IDPs :o

Also, it acts as valid ID, so no need to carry your passport, it may get you into some venues at local (or at least reduced Farang) prices.

If you can balance 4 members of your family on a Honda Wave, ride along Sukhumvit Rd at 90kmph while texting on your mobile and can sleep laying on the seat I got a feeling you'll pass with flying colours

Oh, and remember a red light doesnt mean stop! :o

I especially enjoyed the part of the test where they give you a Thai 'PlayStation' to assess your braking skills....classic and a true reflection of the locals eventual real-time driving skills. :o

The woman in the "Peripheral Vision Colour Testing Booth" was sweet also. After I said GREEN 10 times, she said to my staff member that accompanied me "Tell him to say YELLOW sometimes" :D:D

Oh...and I also failed the Multi-Choice bollicks too! Never mind, a quick nod and a wink and the nice young man there changed a "22" to a "23" for me on the computer.

All-in-all...a cracking good fun day out. I would recommend it to anyone!

This is what you do.

Thai Driving License for a UK Citizen

Paperwork Needed

• UK Driving License Plus copy
  • Application Forms
  • Passport plus copy with visa stamp and TM Card you must have and none immigrant O visa
  • House Paper to say where you live
  • Doctors Medical Letter.
  • Picture for immigration and 2 for Driving DVLA
  • Fees of 105 baht to DVLA

Method.

1.First go to immigration with No 1, No 2, No 3, No 4, No 5 and 2 pictures from the booth outside the immigration, which will cost about 150 baht, make sure all the copies are done from the booth, as they are part of the immigration. If you get elsewhere they will make you go to the booth. Take the form into the immigration and they will give you a letter to take to the DVLA to say you are living in Thailand.

2.Go to DVLA with letter from Immigration, 5, Doctors Certificate, copy of passport same as the immigration. UK Driving License 2 pictures from the shop opposite the DVLA (Small ones) and application form plus fee of 105 baht

3. You give all the above at 2 to the counter and then you have to go for an eye test and color blindness test and emergency brake test. After hat you have to wait about an hour and then pick up your license, which lasts a year. After that you do all the same and you get a license, which last 5 years.

Good Luck

Changhighlily