October 13, 20196 yr I brought a rather large supply of supplements into the country and my bags were searched and they confiscated them. I asked why and the only answer they gave me was it was too much and that I was only allowed to bring 3 months worth. Can anyone direct me to where I can find out more about this? where are the rules and regulations for over the counter supplements from the US? Thanks for your help...
October 13, 20196 yr Author 5 minutes ago, steven100 said: google can assist. hey steven, not finding google very effective at the moment... I am looking for the specific reason they were taken as a starting point. are we not allowed to bring supplements? should I have declaired them?
October 13, 20196 yr Popular Post Your allowed but like medicine they seem to have said its only for 3 months. This could mean they think you brought to much and it would mean its for resale and then they confiscate it. I would say that they should have offered you the option that you could have paid taxes.
October 13, 20196 yr 24 minutes ago, TimLMT said: hey steven, not finding google very effective at the moment... I am looking for the specific reason they were taken as a starting point. are we not allowed to bring supplements? should I have declaired them? hmmmm …. it will be written down somewhere, let me look into it.
October 13, 20196 yr Popular Post In many countries you are limited to only bringing in 3 months worth of prescription drugs....so maybe in Thailand they classify supplements the same way?
October 13, 20196 yr Popular Post They probably make no distinction between supplements and medications.
October 13, 20196 yr As stated, Google is your friend. Start with this one and work your way to the answer: https://www.google.com/search?q=how+much+medicine+or+supplement+can+I+bring+in+to+Thailand&oq=how+much+medicine+or+supplement+can+I+bring+in+to+Thailand&aqs=chrome..69i57j33l5.15983j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
October 13, 20196 yr Popular Post 33 minutes ago, Matzzon said: As stated, Google is your friend. Start with this one and work your way to the answer: https://www.google.com/search?q=how+much+medicine+or+supplement+can+I+bring+in+to+Thailand&oq=how+much+medicine+or+supplement+can+I+bring+in+to+Thailand&aqs=chrome..69i57j33l5.15983j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 Yes google has all the answers when it come to Thai customs issues lol.
October 13, 20196 yr Popular Post The rule is actually 30 days but historically customs has been more liberal especially for people entering on visas as opposed to visa exempt. How long were you stamped in for? For sure they won't allow more than needed for personal use for that time period. This said, as lomg as it looks at a glance like small enough quantity they don't usually count out the tablets. Obviously yours looked like much more No distinction ismade between supplements and other pharmaceutical products (except for controlled narcotics, these need a special FDA permit). Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
October 13, 20196 yr I'm sure all supplements can be bought here, just maybe not under your brand preference. Why did they stop you? Too many bags?
October 14, 20196 yr Popular Post 18 hours ago, holy cow cm said: I'm sure all supplements can be bought here, just maybe not under your brand preference. Why did they stop you? Too many bags? Supplements are a lot more expensive in this country. Crazy more expensive.
October 14, 20196 yr Popular Post I order supplements and vitamins from the U.S. once a quarter for Hubby and me and have them sent by U.S. Postal Service, not the commercial carriers like DHL/UPS/FedEx which seem to use a different customs clearance channel than Thai post. I've only had a shipment stopped once and when opened; the customs official was concerned not about the quantity (90 days for two people), but the one item I'd ordered that was available in Thailand -- Flax Seed oil capsules. He started to question the bottles of Centrum Silver for Women and Centrum Silver for Men, but I pointed out that regular Centrum Silver was the only product available in Thailand, not the formulations specific to men and women and he dropped that argument and moved onto examining other items. The only reason I'd ordered Flax Seed oil capsules was because my regular Thai pharmacy had been very sporadic on having it in inventory. I'd long since decided to bite the bullet and pay Thai prices for other supplements like calcium. So, I think it can upset the customs officials if you're bringing in items available in Thailand simply as a move to save money, esp in large quantity. It maybe helped that in the same shipment, I had a couple cases of Chicken of the Sea Pink Salmon Pouches, plainly labeled "Product of Thailand". That was a real ice-breaker. It's an export product, not available for sale in Thailand and caused much mirth and comment among the customs officials.
October 14, 20196 yr I have brought into Thailand , thru Swampy ,6 months supply of two prescription medicines on many occasions. Always in carry on luggage and never been asked/searched once. Both are available here but terribly expensive. The Australian PBS helps with the cost.
October 14, 20196 yr It all depends on where you arrive and if they scan your luggage and of course your luck. For the last 6 years I always bring 8 months worth of medication this includes Multi Vitamins, cod liver oil, stomach acid reduction tablets, 3 different heart medications and high strength Codeine and paracetamol painkillers for my back pain. I always carry in hold luggage split 50/50 between mine and my wife's luggage. This year for the first time my wife's luggage was scanned but not mine. No questions asked just waved in.
October 15, 20196 yr 17 hours ago, wazzadg44 said: I have brought into Thailand , thru Swampy ,6 months supply of two prescription medicines on many occasions. Always in carry on luggage and never been asked/searched once. Both are available here but terribly expensive. The Australian PBS helps with the cost. I order from iHerb.com. Free shipping and if you keep the order under $50 it comes straight through. If over $50 I have to go into town to pick it up and pay the duty.
October 15, 20196 yr Wanted to get some ZBEC vitamins at pharmacy here (zinc + vitamins B,E, and C). Was told had to have prescription. Meanwhile, you can buy antibiotics like Cipro over the counter. Go figure.
October 15, 20196 yr Declare what? ever given a form like you enter U.S. to declare something? Over ten years ago I used to take a flight into Thailand just before midnight. Whenever I come back from the States even now I load up on vitamins buy what I need for the year for the entire family from Costco, in general you are talking about 20 bottles that doesn't include all the other stuff in volume. Never thought twice of what I was doing when I came in near midnight stop and had my bags examined, the guy at the monitor signal to another regarding my bag I opened it and the guy ran over to basically say I had too many. Speaking some Thai at that time I questioned him as what is considered too much? He had no idea couldn't read or write English I pull out all the bottles and separated them and pointed out they are are different, took out pictures of my Thai family and did the math for them if taken as a family each day it would be all gone " not for sale " which is really their concern. The guy just looked at me confused smiled speechless so I just started to pack up and slip away out the door. I got lucky sure there is a money limit so now I keep all my receipts when I come in just in case I also travel with a family member so with four bags check in when packing I spread things out not placing everything in one bag.
October 15, 20196 yr there a few supplements in this country and most is JUNK - CENTRUM , boots brands, ... wrong versions that are not bio available and rather useless apples and that other fruit to compare...bananas ?
October 15, 20196 yr 1 hour ago, bprhodes said: I order from iHerb.com. Free shipping and if you keep the order under $50 it comes straight through. If over $50 I have to go into town to pick it up and pay the duty. free shipping ? when is the last time you ordered ? now it is 150 - 350 baht shipping for items that is not a small bottle
October 15, 20196 yr 18 hours ago, jimn said: stomach acid reduction tablets 99 percent of the world has not enough stomach acid when getting older to digest food you don't need less stomach acid, you need more APPLE CIDER VINEGAR (villa market) , one teaspoon in a glass of water 15-30 min before a meal
October 15, 20196 yr 18 hours ago, wazzadg44 said: I have brought into Thailand , thru Swampy ,6 months supply of two prescription medicines on many occasions. Always in carry on luggage and never been asked/searched once. Both are available here but terribly expensive. The Australian PBS helps with the cost. That's what I do too. The OP's predicament probably arose because Customs thought he was bringing in a commercial quantity for resale. I've found iHerb is about half the price of supplements here, even when shipping cost is included. Thanks again, BritManToo.
October 15, 20196 yr 18 hours ago, wazzadg44 said: I have brought into Thailand , thru Swampy ,6 months supply of two prescription medicines on many occasions. Always in carry on luggage and never been asked/searched once. Both are available here but terribly expensive. The Australian PBS helps with the cost. Likewise, I have often brought in more than 6 months supply of my bp meds. Never ever been queried... I'm a little worried now, because I was intending to bring over 12mths supply, into Thailand, early next year.. The meds are subsided in NZ, but very expensive when I buy them in Thailand. I also bring large quantity of fish oil tabs. Usually leave in checked luggage...
October 15, 20196 yr I have brought many vitamins to Thailand over the years, you could hear them rattling around in case but never searched my bags the OP must have made something very obvious about his cargo
October 15, 20196 yr I've brought in a 1Kg bag of creatine from the US with no problems. That's a good 6 to 8 month supply. Also recently came back from US through swampy with two check-ins filled with all sorts of food and electrical appliances with no issues. And my flight to BKK was from HK, which is usually scrutinized by Thai Customs. Just luck of the draw I guess.
October 15, 20196 yr 18 minutes ago, moe666 said: I have brought many vitamins to Thailand over the years, you could hear them rattling around in case but never searched my bags the OP must have made something very obvious about his cargo You might not be so lucky when they start to x ray all incoming bags, the op was just unlucky to get picked out, had my bag x rayed last year at customs.
October 15, 20196 yr On 10/13/2019 at 1:52 PM, holy cow cm said: I'm sure all supplements can be bought here, just maybe not under your brand preference. Why did they stop you? Too many bags? There are definitely supplements which are not available in LOS.
October 15, 20196 yr 17 minutes ago, Orton Rd said: You might not be so lucky when they start to x ray all incoming bags, the op was just unlucky to get picked out, had my bag x rayed last year at customs. They scanned my bag in August, it had a coffee machine in it ???? They didn't even ask to look at it...
October 15, 20196 yr That is the case however its 3 months per person - if you can produce other passports or copies of they should give it back. Best thing is to get it here through iherb who now have a thai site. its about the same for most. Only unusual products not included here.
Create an account or sign in to comment