O-A Health Insurance Requirements

My husband and I are insured internationally through Blue Cross and Blue Shield with coverage provided that meets the new Thai requirements. We plan on getting our O-A Visa while in the States this year. However, I have read that we will still need to purchase additional insurance through an authorized Thai company in order for it to be valid. Does anyone have any FACTUAL information they can provide on this ever changing matter? Thanks for any help... ????

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:
14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:
There is a link to a overseas insurance certificate on the page of the site for the insurance. https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa
Download Overseas Insurance Certificate

How about if people haven't got 40k outpatient cover? (as you probably know many people exclude outpatient as it's not value for money)

Very much so, I have such a policy.

@chrisbadger108

I too am covered by BCBS. While the link that ubonjoe provided you with does indeed take you to a form for an overseas insurance certificate, the information that it requires will be virtually impossible to get. It requires the signatures of two directors and some unspecified "Authorized signature."

This past weekend I messaged the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington, DC and asked "will that insurance coverage [my BCBS coverage] be sufficient to meet the requirements and if so, what documentation would I need to submit with the application?" While nothing is certain when dealing with any branch of the Thai government, I am anticipating an answer that says yes, the coverage is sufficient and that the documentation required is the overseas insurance certificate.

Thailand and its government live in their own little bubble with no real understanding of how most of the rest of the world functions. Please don't consider that observation as Thailand bashing. It is just my considered opinion. I have been here for almost 9 years and love Thailand and am doing my best to conform to the ever changing and capricious immigration laws so that I can stay. 

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Genericnic said:

@chrisbadger108

I too am covered by BCBS. While the link that ubonjoe provided you with does indeed take you to a form for an overseas insurance certificate, the information that it requires will be virtually impossible to get. It requires the signatures of two directors and some unspecified "Authorized signature."

This past weekend I messaged the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington, DC and asked "will that insurance coverage [my BCBS coverage] be sufficient to meet the requirements and if so, what documentation would I need to submit with the application?" While nothing is certain when dealing with any branch of the Thai government, I am anticipating an answer that says yes, the coverage is sufficient and that the documentation required is the overseas insurance certificate.

Thailand and its government live in their own little bubble with no real understanding of how most of the rest of the world functions. Please don't consider that observation as Thailand bashing. It is just my considered opinion. I have been here for almost 9 years and love Thailand and am doing my best to conform to the ever changing and capricious immigration laws so that I can stay. 

David

I don't expect that you will receive an answer until after October 31st. Please update here if you. Appreciate the input.

• Like 1