Lanna Commins

coldcrush

I don't know the answer to your question lopburiguy, but LC's mother has a northern Thai restaurant on the west bank of the Ping River, just north of the superhighway. There they sell Lanna's CD's and her mother sings most nights. If you were to stop by there I'm sure someone could give you the information you desire.

I don't know the answer to your question lopburiguy, but LC's mother has a northern Thai restaurant on the west bank of the Ping River, just north of the superhighway. There they sell Lanna's CD's and her mother sings most nights. If you were to stop by there I'm sure someone could give you the information you desire.

Yes, more info please lannarebirth. Thanks again...

:o

"Yes, more info please lannarebirth. Thanks again..."

The restaurant you are thinking of is one of the best semi-kept secrets in CM. It just rebuilt and moved waaaay up the Ping River from its old location. You need to follow the bank of The River north, onthe West side and go up from the Super Highway. Eventually you will see signs for "Houn Soontharee." Best pronounce it "heu-ahn suntharee" for people to understand you - it means Suntahree's house in Lanna, she is the Mom of Lanna and also famous four her ouwn Lanna singing. SHe is a very friendly lady, and I'm sure she will have info for you.

Try this website too, to find it www.saochiangmai.com or call 053-872-078

And keep in mind this is great place for a date, or to bring guests from out of town to impress them with Lanna culture and great food. The new place is beautiful.

Odd kind of a question to be asking. How does she perform concerts when she can't carry a tune. Her mother on the other hand is a very good singer.

No wonder I preferred Lampang to Lamphun....

Nothing odd about it at all... :o

I always thought Lanna was quite a good singer, when she used to sing at her mother's restaurant. Completely different style, Soontaree (her preferred spelling) sings modern Lanna folk, the daughter used to sing mostly international pop, now does T-pop.

Interesting to see how Lanna or her managment has changed the spelling of her surname from the original, Cummins, to 'Commins'. It could be because Thais almost always mistakenly wrote her father's name with an 'o'.

The Excel worksheet on her website is indeed vague about her schedule to say the least, but she just appeared at the Pattaya Music Festival 2007, 16-18 March.

Odd kind of a question to be asking. How does she perform concerts when she can't carry a tune. Her mother on the other hand is a very good singer.

Nothing odd about it at all... :D

Well you're no music lover either :o

Nothing odd about it at all... :D

Well you're no music lover either :o

I would like to know how you come to that conclusion. My Wife likes Lanna and I think she is ok.... I think you will find my tastes and complexity for my love of music outway yours! My family work and breath music, so I feel you have hit the wrong chord my friend...excuse the pun...or should I say Lamphun...

Stay Cool :D

Ps. I do not know why you have changed such a simple question into a nasty reply.......chill out...

Edited by lopburiguy

I guess I had the temerity to suggest that she can't sing. Oh dear.... :o

As you don't know me, I find your claims to have superior musical tastes to be somewhat ridiculous. Don't bust a gut when people have a different point of view.

Enough, please of the personal stuff. A simple "I disagree and don't /do enjoy this particular artist" is sufficient. Let's keep on topic and away from the tit-for-tat posting please.

Or..... sterb108.gif .....Moderators can get pissed off too....

The restaurant you are thinking of is one of the best semi-kept secrets in CM. It just rebuilt and moved waaaay up the Ping River from its old location. You need to follow the bank of The River north, onthe West side and go up from the Super Highway. Eventually you will see signs for "Houn Soontharee." Best pronounce it "heu-ahn suntharee" for people to understand you - it means Suntahree's house in Lanna, she is the Mom of Lanna and also famous four her ouwn Lanna singing. SHe is a very friendly lady, and I'm sure she will have info for you.

And keep in mind this is great place for a date, or to bring guests from out of town to impress them with Lanna culture and great food. The new place is beautiful.

As Realthaideal says, this restaurant is a great place - I've been there 3 times already and the food is great and very reasonably-priced for the high quality even without the show. If you want to see the singing/playing as well as hear it, get a table on the large balcony opposite the raised stage. Alternatively, you can get a table in the riverside garden and hear just as well - their sound system is excellent. There's mixed western/Thai live music/singing from about 7.30 and Lanna's mum usually starts her session around 9pm. Very different from and more relaxed than the in-town places I've seen - and it's just under 4km from the Superhighway on Pa Tan Road..... entrance on the right as you drive north.

PS: be a bit patient with the waiting staff........ I think most are students and not always mega-efficient - but I see that as part of the relaxed feel and charm of the place.

As Realthaideal says, this restaurant is a great place - I've been there 3 times already and the food is great and very reasonably-priced for the high quality even without the show. If you want to see the singing/playing as well as hear it, get a table on the large balcony opposite the raised stage. Alternatively, you can get a table in the riverside garden and hear just as well - their sound system is excellent. There's mixed western/Thai live music/singing from about 7.30 and Lanna's mum usually starts her session around 9pm. Very different from and more relaxed than the in-town places I've seen - and it's just under 4km from the Superhighway on Pa Tan Road..... entrance on the right as you drive north.

PS: be a bit patient with the waiting staff........ I think most are students and not always mega-efficient - but I see that as part of the relaxed feel and charm of the place.

Thanks Steve I think we are definitely going to take a look in.

Good review. :o

I always thought Lanna was quite a good singer, when she used to sing at her mother's restaurant. Completely different style, Soontaree (her preferred spelling) sings modern Lanna folk, the daughter used to sing mostly international pop, now does T-pop.

Interesting to see how Lanna or her managment has changed the spelling of her surname from the original, Cummins, to 'Commins'. It could be because Thais almost always mistakenly wrote her father's name with an 'o'.

Probably Lanna was too young at the time of her birth registration to change it and it is very unlikely that her present management would change her surname. More likely her surname was given to her by her father, who happens to spell it with an 'o', as in the original Scottish derivation. And, since we are on the topic, "Lanna" also came from her father, not Garun Manophet, as some would have you believe. It was (and is) thought to be a good name because it was the name of the old kingdom, was the name of one of her mother's songs popular at the time and it was close to the English "Lana", as in Lana Turner.

The Excel worksheet on her website is indeed vague about her schedule to say the least, but she just appeared at the Pattaya Music Festival 2007, 16-18 March.

Edited by GreatWhiteFox