Important Question !!!!!!

Nyezhov

This is a serious question.

These various stinky thai balms really work wonders on my aches, but I alwys end up smelling like Eucalyptus, Lemongrass, Green Oil, menthol fumes and god knows what else. I mean really strong. I had some special balm sprayed on my back and had no pain for 12 hours, except I smelled like a eucalyptus oil extractor.

So I know its in poor taste to ride the air conditioned trains with durian, but what about balm stink?

Is that offensive to Thai folks? Like if I go get a massage and have stuff sprayed on my back that just makes my eyes water, is it cool to ride the BTS at rush hour?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO this thread is ill conceived. 

I might be wrong  but I don't think it is a good idea to start a critical thread  thread directed at particular member or putting a member in the unfortunate position of defending or criticizing her country people.

Or perhaps I misunderstood

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

I might be wrong  but I don't think it is a good idea to start a critical thread  thread directed at particular member or putting a member in the unfortunate position of defending or criticizing her country people.

Is ok. Good for learn. More peaceful for farang- thai together.

Eucalyptus, Lemongrass, balm etc not really problem. 

Body ordor smell is problem. Caucasion have special smell, same other country people, India, different one, African different one. 

Thai not like any “flavor.” Some thai have it also. 

Is not acceptable. Also I think some foreigner not use the bum gun, only tissue. It not clean. Thailand is hot country.

If you car have mud, you need water, not only paper tissue to make it clean, and this not acceptable also. Can be smell. 

Another thing, some people use perform to much. But if dirty and use perfume, the smell is still dirty.

on the train, try not put your underarm on people face.

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

nonsense. the poster detailed a fair and honest question to someone who would have a much better understanding than them. i see no ill intent of the thread and the poster poses a valid question. it would of been better as a pm though.

to call it a critical thread is baloney.

5 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Is not acceptable. Also I think some foreigner not use the bum gun, only tissue. It not clean. Thailand is hot country.

Some foreigners (and Thais) find that most lavatories in malls, supermarkets, bus stations, petrol stations, and so on ... do not have 'bum guns'.

I think we should petition the Prime Minister.

As an ethnic Chinese, I thought the Indians and Caucasians don't like to bathe because of their strong body odour but only recently I found out that most East Asians, such as the Chinese and the Koreans, lack the gene that causes the body odour problem.

13 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Thats all I needed to know. Balm heaven here I come!

I like the stuff in the jars with no labels. And the snake one. And the CBD one. And the orange one is nasty, I think its the tumeric, makes me smell like curry.

7 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Thats all I needed to know. Balm heaven here I come!

I like the stuff in the jars with no labels. And the snake one. And the CBD one. And the orange one is nasty, I think its the tumeric, makes me smell like curry.

Balms away for you then.....

27 minutes ago, sillyfool said:

nonsense. the poster detailed a fair and honest question to someone who would have a much better understanding than them. i see no ill intent of the thread and the poster poses a valid question. it would of been better as a pm though.

to call it a critical thread is baloney.

I did not call the tread  dishonest  , I simply called it "IMO ill conceived" for exactly the same reasons monitoring stated, and you seem to agree with.

Perhaps you do ,but I do not think asking a Thai "Is that offensive to Thai folks? Like if I go get a massage and have stuff sprayed on my back that just makes my eyes water, is it cool to ride the BTS at rush hour? " is a complemental question. 

36 minutes ago, Yinn said:

If you car have mud, you need water, not only paper tissue to make it clean, and this not acceptable also. Can be smell. 

????????

its also true about odour

caucasians and dairy

french garlic

indians curry

& in Malaysia they steal the bum gun fittings from everywhere, shopping mall and even airport loos

16 minutes ago, Selatan said:

As an ethnic Chinese, I thought the Indians and Caucasians don't like to bathe because of their strong body odour but only recently I found out that most East Asians, such as the Chinese and the Koreans, lack the gene that causes the body odour problem.

I would have to take your word on that. But as ethnic Chinese can you understand that the  many Chinese who  ingest raw  garlic as a "protection" when embarking on public transport present an equivalent  odour problem.

50 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Here ya go dude:

1. The stuff stinks, I dont

2. In the US, I could balm up, jump in my wheels and never offend anyone. Here I take trains.

3. The stuff that works the best is hard core pungent.

Thats why I asked. Btw, I could give two ***ts if falang are offended. Thats why I phrased the topic the way I did, sorry Chahlee....

4 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I would have to take your word on that. But as ethnic Chinese can you understand that the  many Chinese who  ingest raw  garlic as a "protection" when embarking on public transport present an equivalent  odour problem.

Dude that was gnarly on the Shanghai trains and I smelt durian too.

I smelt a lot of Garlic in China. 

There is alwys a hint of durian sometimes during high season on the MRT.

51 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Nyezhov reacted confused at my above post. Perhaps I did not verbalize it correctly or eloquently, but moderating did IMO. 

People have Odors . Different people , fro, different cultures and cultural practices have different odors. For the most part we get used to our Odors ans tune them out, but we are sensitive to other peoples odors.

IMO It is not other countries responsibility to adjust to your cultural preferences, It is your responsibility to adjust or leave.

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Dude that was gnarly on the Shanghai trains and I smelt durian too.

I smelt a lot of Garlic in China. 

There is alwys a hint of durian sometimes during high season on the MRT.

You sure it was  durian?  Sometimes  I sense  the  smell of  durian as  vomit ! lol

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Here ya go dude:

1. The stuff stinks, I dont

2. In the US, I could balm up, jump in my wheels and never offend anyone. Here I take trains.

3. The stuff that works the best is hard core pungent.

Then dont take the BTW,

as I said it is not the Thai's responsibility to adjust their culture to your sensibilities, It is your responsibility to adjust or make alternate plans. 

1 minute ago, Dumbastheycome said:

If the smell of tiger  balm, eucalyptus, etc  obscures the  various body odours in/on a densely packed public space surely that is preferable?

well personally dude, If I aint showered and wearing balm (and some citronella for the skeeters), Im dressed like Sean Connery leaning in a doorway sans Walther redolent with the scent of Tom Ford, which I bring from the US as it it stupidly priced over here. Right now my usual is a combo of Noir de Noir and Tobacco Vanilla (3:2 ratio or reversed), which gives you some long lasting notes, but for special occasions, I have a tiny little bottle of Lost Cherry that I scored from the gay perfume dude in Nordies, its tough to get because Tommy boy mugs ya for $325 for that one, I run that 1:2 with Tobacco Vanilla.

Ive been thinking of one of the Ouds that they sell down in Soi Arab, but I dont want to smell like a rug merchant, so it would have to be the right one. 

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Then dont take the BTW,

as I said it is not the Thai's responsibility to adjust their culture to your sensibilities, It is your responsibility to adjust or make alternate plans. 

Duh. If she told me that Thai folks find the smell of balm offensive, I would adjust quite easily thanks. Are you missing Thailand so bad you are being cranky? I ate a Pla Kapong Nung Manao earlier, it was quite yummy.

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

well personally dude, If I aint showered and wearing balm (and some citronella for the skeeters), Im dressed like Sean Connery leaning in a doorway sans Walther redolent with the scent of Tom Ford, which I bring from the US as it it stupidly priced over here. Right now my usual is a combo of Noir de Noir and Tobacco Vanilla (3:2 ratio or reversed), which gives you some long lasting notes, but for special occasions, I have a tiny little bottle of Lost Cherry that I scored from the gay perfume dude in Nordies, its tough to get because Tommy boy mugs ya for $325 for that one, I run that 1:2 with Tobacco Vanilla.

Ive been thinking of one of the Ouds that they sell down in Soi Arab, but I dont want to smell like a rug merchant, so it would have to be the right one. 

Geez!  All I do is  scrape a  bulb of  galangal  in my armpits and  groin and  juss  keep on  smiling !

55 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Body ordor smell is problem. Caucasion have special smell, same other country people, India, different one, African different one. 

Another thing, some people use perform to much. But if dirty and use perfume, the smell is still dirty.

Must admit.  This is funny and made me laugh.

Personally, I would feel too self conscious to go around slathered up & smelling like a locker room while using any close quartered public transportation.....

The Thais are very perceptive of odors, dressing mistakes/appearance, grooming, and the like....

Rarely, in public, do you ever see one turned out badly - no matter their station in life....

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

I get this... I lived in Japan for a while and friends I had there used to tell me they could tell when I ate pork - especially bacon.. I don't eat that no and I didn't bother to correlate their assumptions with their comments but I have no reason to doubt them.

I agree some nationalities have different natural body odor. I think diet plays a big part and that is why some Thai's take big note of Indians. A lot of their food has a different spice base to Thai food.

I also ways wear CK or one of the variants and deodorant but my current girlfriend always wants me to not wear deo before I go for a jog. She likes the smell of me with the CK and  natural sweat... I think she is mad. I stink after a workout. I have known western girls who like the same smell. But my current girl is the only Thai woman who I have known who like the raw Farangwithaplan - in - a can scent.

Yinn, Do you like the smell of your man after exercise or do you want him to shower straight away?

------

OP,

I don't think people will be offended by liniments used here. There are boxing liniments, tiger blam type rubs and the like. It's all good.

Archived