PLEASE TELL ME: Why, Oh, Why...Do I have ZERO Complaints about Living in Chiang Mai?

MisterBleach

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, MisterBleach said:

Not unlike me, many residents of Chiang Mai have lived in foreign climes.  And so, they know that by comparison, Chiang Mai has very few negative aspects that we can think of.

For example, let's just pick two cities at random:

Naples, Florida, USA

Ras Tanura, Saudi Arabia (on the Persian Gulf)

As you know, Naples was built by American developers.  And, Ras Tanura was built by ARAMCO.

Having been in both places, I would say that both places are very similar in that they lack any identifiable traditional culture of any value, other than sand, and more sand.

Chiang Mai, on the other hand, definitely does have a culture which has endured for hundreds of years.

And so, if one is someone like I, who prefers culture over sand, then Chiang Mai is far preferable. 

The beaches on Ras Tanura are overrated, just as the bathing beauties in Naples are far too plump.

And so, I would prefer to be in Chiang Mai where no one walks around in bathing attire.

All I can definitely say is that we can all thank our lucky stars that we are here in Chiang Mai, and not in Naples, Florida or in Ras Tanura.

No need to take my word for it.

Please feel free to visit these other two cities and decide for yourselves.

But but But ........the real Naples is in Italy and boy does that have character

To the OP; OK we get it. For you CM is the very bestest place in the whole wide world. Other people may have different opinions, criteria, and situations. Your not going to convince them by comparisons to Naples, Florida or someplace in Saudi Arabia. Just accept it. 

Naples, Florida, USA

Ras Tanura, Saudi Arabia (on the Persian Gulf)

As you know, Naples was built by American developers.  And, Ras Tanura was built by ARAMCO.

Having been in both places, I would say that both places are very similar in that they lack any identifiable traditional culture of any value, other than sand, and more sand.

Where and what kind of drugs do you get here? 

Those with good (my) taste will know that what I have stated above is true.

And those with different tastes will disagree.

Fixed that for you ????

Seeing your Oct 3rd joining the forum date suggests your a re-spawn or a newbie

neither one to be taken seriously ????

1 hour ago, meechai said:

Seeing your Oct 3rd joining the forum date suggests your a re-spawn or a newbie

neither one to be taken seriously ????

My guess would be a sock-puppet of an older poster who knows how to get a rise out of the Great Disgruntled Masses, and set about the task with a perfect troll.

Apart from 3 months of the year, I would argue that CM is probably the best destination in Thailand for me.
Compared to Bkk, the traffic is a breeze, all the more because I stay at the outskirts of the city.
The weather is so much cooler, even in the summer months. I just spent 5 days in Isaan and having to take 3-4 showers a day just to cool down (not to mention the pesky insects and mosquitoes the size of house flies).
I prefer mountains to the beach and motorbike riding is so much more enjoyable.
I have friendlier neighbours here than I did in Bkk.
Food wise, plenty of variety though not as much fresh seafood as I would like.
CM immigration performs admirably, no complaints there.
So all in all, I agree with the OP. I just wish he would piped down a bit and not try to attract too many people to come and live there.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

8 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

The worst air quality in the world...worse than India and China...during the months long rice field burnings.

4.1 magnitude earthquake in last 24 hours.

Signs posted around the city..."Get rid of beer bars...take Chiang Mai back".

Favorite destination of Chinese.

I have more if needed...????

Get rid of beer bars take CM back? Where have you seen that? Post a picture if you have one. Yes the air pollution is out of control. But all in all it is my home for 20 years +. And unless I get kicked out will be where I pass away and get burned. 

12 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Get rid of beer bars take CM back? Where have you seen that? Post a picture if you have one. Yes the air pollution is out of control. But all in all it is my home for 20 years +. And unless I get kicked out will be where I pass away and get burned. 

A few years back I was staying at a place called Veerchai Court...located between the Tha Phae Gate and Ping River.   I travelled on foot most of the time and was very annoyed to see the signs posted on utility polls in the area.  Probably been removed now...but the unfriendly message they conveyed left an impression.

Why, Oh, Why...Do I have ZERO Complaints about Living in Chiang Mai?

Easy! You´re a stand up guy, that can take care of things need to be taken care of without the otherwise mandatory wining and complaining membership card.

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

A few years back I was staying at a place called Veerchai Court...located between the Tha Phae Gate and Ping River.   I travelled on foot most of the time and was very annoyed to see the signs posted on utility polls in the area.  Probably been removed now...but the unfriendly message they conveyed left an impression.

Never caught or saw that. Probably some Thai nutjobs as there are a few up in this part.

But that could have been a message for all of the bars Thai or foreigner orientated and could be based on the noise level and the congregation of drinkers. Thai bars in my impression are the noisiest and most annoying and a bar that moves into a residential area is not nice...

:stoner:

That's cool you're happy and enjoying life up there, cotemplating navels and the meaning of life.  I've only visited for a week, felt a bit cramped but overall, it was a fun visit.  Did the Mae Hong Song loop with the usual stops; I liked Pai. 

As much as I don't like living on the Flat Lands, it does kinda grow on you, like a rash.

9 hours ago, MisterBleach said:

No, not really, sir or madame.

In fact, at the time I first arrived in Chiang Mai, I instantly knew that this is the place for me.

I also knew, almost instantly, that this is the place where I want to live to my limit, and then die gracefully.

Chiang Mai is better than any city in which I have ever lived, including cities such as Montreal and London, and also Dubuque, Iowa, for that matter.

I have never lived in New York City, which is probably superior to Chiang Mai, but I am not so sure that NYC has better food than Chiang Mai.

Yes, you are correct that being in Chiang Mai makes me happy.

However, I never pop pills to get happy.

Why?

I enjoy getting out and being productive, and enjoying all that Chiang Mai has to offer.

There is no need to pop pills, for sure.

For sure.

The secret of success and the secret of happiness for anyone who lives in Chiang Mai is:

One should contribute one's time to trying to improve what exists.

This is the secret of happiness for anyone, anywhere.

Just try to improve your world.......

And then, you will feel no further need for happy pills.

Alright now, I'm beginning to get worried about you...????

I've been here ten years. I like living here.

It's a matter of going with the flow, and using options. During the smoke season, my aircon and air purifier are going full blast for an electricity bill of 2000 baht/month, instead of 600 baht/month.

Traffic doesn't bother me. Scooter for around the city, car for longer excursions.

Food is really good here. I had an excellent beef tornedo at Antonio's last night, with a small carafe of house red, for less than I would pay in the average Australian pub. 980 baht. Or I can eat a good pad thai goong for 40 baht. The range of restaurants is extensive. The bad ones go out of business quickly.

Renting is ridiculously cheap. My golf club membership is one-sixth of what I was paying in Australia. Admittedly not to the same standard, but I don't care.

Added to all that, I have the pleasure of observing trim butts and sleek legs in the shopping malls, with a very low incidence of lardasses.

It's not Paradise, but it will do.

3 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

I remember those I think ...but that was more than a FEW years back, that was more like a decade???  I think it had to do with noise mostly also, but I’m not sure.

12 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

The worst air quality in the world...worse than India and China...during the months long rice field burnings.

4.1 magnitude earthquake in last 24 hours.

Signs posted around the city..."Get rid of beer bars...take Chiang Mai back".

Favorite destination of Chinese.

I have more if needed...????

Can't you feel the love?

22 hours ago, MisterBleach said:

Those with good taste will know that what I have stated above is true.

And there is the crux of the matter ...

Agree with you - have good taste

Disagree with you - poor taste

Do you ever read what you post ?

11 hours ago, amykat said:

I remember those I think ...but that was more than a FEW years back, that was more like a decade???  I think it had to do with noise mostly also, but I’m not sure.

Those signs were about the bars, transvestites, and dirty backpackers trying to expand their area onto Chiang Moi Rd.. 

because you stay inside all day and have everything delivered?

There are places in LOS that I could truly love to live in, but C M isn't one of them.

I lived there because it was cheap, not because I enjoyed the broken infrastructure, the terrible traffic congestion, the burning season, the lack of night life, the absence of sanuk and the rip off red songtheaws.

Archived