Will disconnecting laptop CMOS battery cause problems?

RuamRudy

I have a Lenovo laptop that has what appears to be a relatively common problem in that certain keys randomly do not function. It can function normally for days then for no apparent reason certain keys won't work or need to be pressed multiple times to work.

According to the forums I have read, Lenovo has done nothing to fix it, but some users discovered that by disconnecting the main and CMOS batteries then reconnecting them, the issue disappears. 

I don't know much about CMOS batteries - will I cause any problems if I do this (as in ask a technician to do it)? I guess a system backup before I do this would be wise? Thanks 

Disconnecting the CMOS battery won't make any problem. There is even a reset jumper or switch on the motherboard for this reason. You will lose BIOS and time configuration. Most of the time users don't change these anyway. No risk for your data at all.

You can search for your specific laptop on YouTube and you can see if you feel confident doing it yourself. For example:

Agree with the above posts. Generally no issues. However before removing the CMOS battery go into the BIOS and check the Boot settings. There will be options for BIOS/UEFI and there may be Secure Boot On/Off. Perhaps take a photo of that page.

If your OS was installed with one setting and the CMOS defaults to the other then the system won't boot until it is reverted to the original setting.

Archived