I Love Samui Because...

Oh my. What has my 'thread of love' become???

Read the title folks, then contribute!

I love Samui - I keep away from trouble and trouble keeps away from me. However, that's my philosophy wherever I live.

Although I don't live on Samui, I love it for the some of the same reasons as Gisele. A trip to Samui is like a trip to the big city, great shopping, lots of delicious farang food and.... sushi!!!! yum!

I like the Home Pro, wish we had a car ferry to Samui so we could take the truck over and load up!

I love lakeview bungalows, it is safe and secure, close to everything that interest me and it has a great garden with swimming pool for my children and me to play in. It is my oasis.

I hate to break this to you but my friend who lives in Lavkeview Bungalows had his house broke into. They stole his laptop, camera and phone. They removed the air conditioner to get in. He thinks it was some of the guys that work out at the Muy Thai training gym close by. This was about 6 weeks ago.

I hate to brake it to you but your friend has brougth ladyboys to his house too many times. The muy thai gays are probably too blame for a lot, now if you ask the manager of lakeview bungalows he is quite happy with what they have done to that area. What hes not happy with (and i know this for a fact because i normally stay in lakeview bungalows), is the fact that some of the longtermers keep bringing ladyboys to the area!!! Now this is a case i know in particular and i say:are all of the people in the "gameclub" gays?? I mean, a bunch of fifty plus people meeting every saturday to play nintendo???????? Are u serious??? Get a grip!!! Samui has : Nice beaches, beutiful women, nice climat, cocconuts,mangotrees,good seafood,and so much else to offer, and a bunch of locals that sit every saturday playing videogames and getting hight on wathever and complaining about somebody robbed them after bringing home several ladyboys and showing them there laptop??????????You people are so gay that its getting embarrissing!!! Now, i have a suggestion for the whole gameclub: Next saturday you dont even start your nintendo, ***edited for flaming and abuse***

Awesome spelling my good man.You must apply for that ENGLISH teaching job advertised by one of the samui posters!

I might. No, serious, im not good at englich, but im quite good at manners. Im so sorry if i lost my tempure but i really feel that somebody that did not diserve it got hurt in this post. Now i, as a tourist spent a lot of my time in lakeview bungalows and liked it. I happend to know that the brake in they had 8 or 9 weeks ago was caused by some man himself because he brought ladyboys in his home. Now, this is a problem all over samui. If you are turned on by ladyboys, the thing is they will check out your home and for sure come back to steel what you have, no matter where you live. Its how they work. They turn u on and see what you have in your home and how to get in. Now, if you keep bringing ladyboys to your home every night and still are surprised when you get robbed, im sorry you dont get it. And "meatgrowler" i am sorry about me speeking an englich you dont understand. If you send me a e-mail i will try to make it even clearer for you. Im not so good at englich, sorry.

Now im gonna do somthing relly crazy, im gonna answer my own quote!! This post where about to be about whats great about samui, yet it ended up about something else, sorry for me contributing to that. I love samui because: you can go to the mountain-resturant with your girlfrined and have a romatic dinner, you can go to the beutiful beach (choeng moen, or even chaweng this time a year) and have a nice lunch with a salt wather bath rigth after it, you can still go and do some jetskidriving, or even a "halfway-serious" offroad-driving with a good motorbike. You can still have a lot of fun on this island and every-one who dont appreciate this should be sent to europe in januari!!! Kidding, but lets face it:you are in paradise and should appreciate it. Samui is a great place to be, even thought it changed alot over the years.

why do nice happy threads always turn in to ladyboy/stealing/murder etc look around the other forums on tv when they post they post relivent answers to the question set ive been here 13 years never going back to the uk not left thailand for 3 years resident visa not over stay seen most of the evolution of samui 1st hand helped in some of it if the building work etc hadnt been done the tourist would not be here only cheap sangson swilling low lifes its still a great place to live and earn a living have a look on the net at world news you are better off here than anywhere else in the world if some of you dont like it then its time for you to go else where as for getting the thread back on track this island is my paradise and could not emagine raising my daughter anywhere else she has a great school 1 minute from the beach can swim in my own pool 365 days a year order a pizza and big mac go see the latest movie at tescos she can play outside on her bike and i dont have to worry about the devients else where in the world. i meet many many people and they would give there right arm to have what we have here on samui so be thankful for what we have guys and girls a paradise with the odd hicup now and again :o longest reply ive ever sent thinking maybe the threads finish :D

Thank you. Good post. Someone actually talking about happiness. A few periods and commas might help. but a great post. I hope the foreigners who reside on Samui remember that they still live in a relative paradise. Be happy people.

67u57u5

On your island, I love Gai and her family at Gai's Pharmacy & Grocery in Maenam. I like San Phet supermarket in Nathon. The beach at Lipa Noi is beautiful for sunsets.

Yes it is. Nearly bought a house there (bought i Plai laem instead). Child friendly beach as well.

If you add it all up, Plai Laem is the best area of the island to live in, access to pretty much everything. Is that why you bought there, Suegha? I mean the access part.

Yes it is. 5 mins from so many places and 10 to nearly everywhere else! I love it.

Well, it is getting crowded and still no real authentic thai restaurant or noodleshop. There are plenty (compared to some years ago), but if you live in Thailand for years you know the difference.

67u57u5
On your island, I love Gai and her family at Gai's Pharmacy & Grocery in Maenam. I like San Phet supermarket in Nathon. The beach at Lipa Noi is beautiful for sunsets.

Yes it is. Nearly bought a house there (bought i Plai laem instead). Child friendly beach as well.

If you add it all up, Plai Laem is the best area of the island to live in, access to pretty much everything. Is that why you bought there, Suegha? I mean the access part.

Yes it is. 5 mins from so many places and 10 to nearly everywhere else! I love it.

Well, it is getting crowded and still no real authentic thai restaurant or noodleshop. There are plenty (compared to some years ago), but if you live in Thailand for years you know the difference.

Are you talking about Plai Laem?

67u57u5

Are you talking about Plai Laem?

Sure, Plai Laem.

Of course, you can find some delicious thaifood here on Samui-restaurants are everywhere-, but really good ones are also rare. Just compare e.g. the noodleshops next to the 7/11s at Choeng Mon, Plai Laem and Ban Rak with the one infront of the Kasikorn Bank on the ringroad/Chaweng. They are...o.k., but the one at the Kasikorn Bank... very tasty.

Although I don't live on Samui, I love it for the some of the same reasons as Gisele. A trip to Samui is like a trip to the big city, great shopping, lots of delicious farang food and.... sushi!!!! yum!

I like the Home Pro, wish we had a car ferry to Samui so we could take the truck over and load up!

Yes, yes, yes, Home Pro

and that place that makes those pretzels

and movies in English,

and Bookazine for magazines in English

and the second hand book shop in Nathon (though there are many this one is my favourite)

and the lady from Issan who gives massages on the beach near Pearl Cabana, more expensive than here but she is really good, for 3 years now I get a massage from her every time we are in Samui.

and my husband says the best bugs he has tasted (better than here) are sold on the ring road near the lights not far from Tesco,

Notice I said my husband. Give me a pretzel, any flavour anytime.

Yes, yes, yes, Home Pro

and movies in English,

and the second hand book shop in Nathon (though there are many this one is my favourite)

and the lady from Issan who gives massages on the beach near Pearl Cabana, more expensive than here but she is really good, for 3 years now I get a massage from her every time we are in Samui.

and my husband says the best bugs he has tasted (better than here) are sold on the ring road near the lights not far from Tesco,

Pretzels? You mean, the soft chewy kind with the kosher salt?

WHERE???? :D

The second hand bookshop in Nathon is my favorite too, pretty well alphabetized, tho it has gotten a little bit less organized since Jim died and last time I went in a girl was running it, not Jim's wife who was also quite helpful. Sad day for Nathon when Jim died :o

Yes, yes, yes, Home Pro

and movies in English,

Pretzels? You mean, the soft chewy kind with the kosher salt?

WHERE???? :D

The second hand bookshop in Nathon is my favorite too, pretty well alphabetized, tho it has gotten a little bit less organized since Jim died and last time I went in a girl was running it, not Jim's wife who was also quite helpful. Sad day for Nathon when Jim died :o

The Pretzels' place is just outside of the food court, they have salty ones, and cinnamon ones, and iced ones, heaven!

Yes, Jim is missed for sure, his wife was there last time I went but she was just sitting there and the girl rang in my purchases.

Over the years, Jim recommended some really good books to me, he really knew his stuff.

Ah, Jim. He was a star. We used to have great debates over who was better: Maugham or Greene. And I could go in and say I wanted a good read and he would always pick a gem for me. Gods bless Jim.

The sad and make me mad thing about the Aunte Ann's pretzle place is NO MUSTARD!!! Argh!!!! And when I asked for it you should have seen the look on their faces "Stupid farang!" :o

BTW, what has been anyones experience bringing food into the movies? I like to buy ice cream at DQ and then bring it in. The last 3 times have had no trouble but last night a Thai guy said something and I pretended I did not hear him even though I knew what he said. Luckily he didn't come track me down. I don't know why it would or should be a problem. It's not like they sell ice-cream.

BTW, what has been anyones experience bringing food into the movies? I like to buy ice cream at DQ and then bring it in. The last 3 times have had no trouble but last night a Thai guy said something and I pretended I did not hear him even though I knew what he said. Luckily he didn't come track me down. I don't know why it would or should be a problem. It's not like they sell ice-cream.

They shouldn't sell ice cream or allow it at the movies. Ever step in or sit in melted ice cream? In a dark auditorium you don't notice it before it's too late.

Ah, Jim. He was a star. We used to have great debates over who was better: Maugham or Greene. And I could go in and say I wanted a good read and he would always pick a gem for me. Gods bless Jim.

He always knew what to recommend, when I didn't know exactly what I wanted to read he would ask what was the last book I read or what book did I enjoy, then he would say: Ah, well, then you will enjoy reading this or that, and he was right. I always looked forward to my little visit to the shop. Quite a character.

Although I have been a bit critical of Samui in the past and am leaving next week for pastures new my sister came from England to visit me last week.

I took her round the island incuding Laem Sor and the new pagoda in the mountain nearby.

Ate at a seafood restaraunt in Lamai and another one on the beach. She loved every minute and thinks I am so lucky to live here. I really enjoyed it as well.

It is such a shame it has problems.

John.

ns

Although I have been a bit critical of Samui in the past and am leaving next week for pastures new my sister came from England to visit me last week.

I took her round the island incuding Laem Sor and the new pagoda in the mountain nearby.

Ate at a seafood restaraunt in Lamai and another one on the beach. She loved every minute and thinks I am so lucky to live here. I really enjoyed it as well.

John.

I would suspect most places in the world have problems, just a hunch on my part. Samui has a wonderful climate, good restaurants, shopping, transportation, wonderful views and beaches, all at an inexpensive price. Maybe that's what I love about Samui.

ns

John.

I would suspect most places in the world have problems, just a hunch on my part. Samui has a wonderful climate, good restaurants, shopping, transportation, wonderful views and beaches, all at an inexpensive price. Maybe that's what I love about Samui.

Good transportation?

Agree with the rest apart from the inexpensive price bit.

ns

John.

Good transportation?

I don't think transportation is expensive if you do the web deals from Bangkok Airways. A bit more than flying from Phuket, but less airport taxi cost, quicker and better service, free continental breakfast when you depart, free internet while you wait, etc. Add it all up.

ns

John.

Good transportation?

I don't think transportation is expensive if you do the web deals from Bangkok Airways. A bit more than flying from Phuket, but less airport taxi cost, quicker and better service, free continental breakfast when you depart, free internet while you wait, etc. Add it all up.

Air Asia Bangkok to Surattani between 950 and 2,000 Baht incl. taxes.

Surattani to Samui 280 Baht for bus and ferry.

Sorry for deviating from the topic, but we all know Bangkok Air are a rip off.

ns

John.

Good transportation?

So apparently you agree that transportation to Samui is good. Expensive is, of course, a relative term. Bangkok Air costs a somewhat more than others, but hardly what I would call expensive in comparison to other countries.

ns

John.

Good transportation?

So apparently you agree that transportation to Samui is good. Expensive is, of course, a relative term. Bangkok Air costs a somewhat more than others, but hardly what I would call expensive in comparison to other countries.

To be clear about this your original post said `Good transportation` You did not say if you meant transportation to Samui or transportation while you are hear.

Please do not get me going on the Taxi topic.

However you get here or get around enjoy your stay. Count yourself lucky you can come here and enjoy a still mostly beautiful setting.

Edited by Lite Beer

ns

John.

Good transportation?

To be clear about this your original post said `Good transportation` You did not say if you meant transportation to Samui or transportation while you are hear.

Please do not get me going on the Taxi topic.

However you get here or get around enjoy your stay. Count yourself lucky you can come here and enjoy a still mostly beautiful setting.

That is what I meant by good transportation, getting there and getting around.

Edited by sbk
discussion of moderation issues is against forum rules

I love Samui because it engenders such long and interesting discussions about transport! :o

A good point Tiger

Sorry I cant make 18th but am having a party myself because on 20th I am transporting my family to Khon Kaen,

Have a good night and give SBK a kiss from me,

See you in Bedlam.

Edited by Lite Beer

I love Samui because it engenders such long and interesting discussions about transport! :o

A good point Tiger

Sorry I cant make 18th but am having a party myself because on 20th I am transporting my family to Khon Kaen,

See you in Bedlam.

Best of luck Lite Beer ,Hope it all works out for you mate.

A good point Tiger

See you in Bedlam.

Best of luck Lite Beer ,Hope it all works out for you mate.

Thanks Roo.

I really do love Samui most of the time because it gave me the oportunity to escape from England and meet my lovely wife.