MOved to BKK from europe and all my gmails are blocked now

parafareno

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

google thinks your account was high jacked and you need to reset it.... need a VPN to access your original country where the account was set up or you have to contact google technical support to do have it reset..... had something similar 3 years ago, but you can try to log in and they will ask for a code to be send to your alternative e-mail when you set up the account, they will ask a security question and so forth, since I didn't remember anything from the set up, I use the VPN method and it worked out for me.... good luck though

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

this is very common if you come to Thailand. Banks will do the same as soon as they see Thailand IP. 

I've been a globe trotter for years. I've never had a bank block access to my accounts.

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

I've been a globe trotter for years. I've never had a bank block access to my accounts.

really? after almost 6 years i still go through it all the time with USA banks. drives me crazy. 

including blocking because of a VPN and also not using a VPN.

5 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:
5 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

5 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

really? after almost 6 years i still go through it all the time with USA banks. drives me crazy. 

Well I must confess, I have noticed on TVF that the US banks do seem to a lot more troublesome than their UK counterparts.

I've been living in various locations around the world, including China ever since the advent of on-line banking and never had any adverse issues.

36 minutes ago, parafareno said:

i tried vpn for my country, same problem....i will stop using gmail.....i cant even confirm with alternative email...this is so crazy...i hate google so much

And Google hates you even more if you can't figure this one out by yourself. Google it, please. 

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

It's not only some US banks that are geoblock; in my experience Capital One blocks whereas Bank of America doesn't. Even the not so wonderful AT&T sometimes needs a VPN to log in. What I find strange are the regular US businesses that prohibit access from non-US IP addresses. The latest one I have discovered is Home Depot!

E mail is not generally location sensitive. It is after all an international system. So simply relocating should not block it. I was in Egypt recently and was able to access Yahoo and Hotmail without any problem.

But increasingly they are becoming device sensitive. If you try to log on from an unfamiliar device email servers are now seeking some additional verification. This is why it is important that one should have a mobile device or an alternative email address through which they can contact you.

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The latest one I have discovered is Home Depot!

That is one that I find pissing me off constantly when trying to plan some upgrades to my place in the US from the beach here. 

Enough to get me to get my phone-home VPN up and running reliably... so I guess I can thank them.  Now signing up for VOIP accounts or new credit cards or whatever is nice and easy.  I wonder if the “bad guys” ever thought of that...

I flip flop between Europe and asia twice a year and my gmail always follows me without a problem, you do have a recovery mechanism, a fallback email address and/or phone number, did u use them and are they up to date?

4 hours ago, saengd said:

I flip flop between Europe and asia twice a year and my gmail always follows me without a problem, you do have a recovery mechanism, a fallback email address and/or phone number, did u use them and are they up to date?

My IP address can switch between Norway, Thailand, Myanmar and back in the same working day and I have never had issues with gmail access.

16 minutes ago, steven100 said:

change to Hotmail …. 

Guard your privacy with a free account from Tutanota and/or Protonmail - excellent email, its encrypted (automatically), a 3rd party won't be able to read your mail and keep a record of it,  you won't be jerked around by Google, and there is a functioning cs department.

Same thing happened to me last month. I am based in Thailand and every year I travel to another country for a break or visiting friends.

Last month I went to Portugal for the first time and Yahoo blocked me. The OTP to my phone did not work either.  Had to ask a friend in Thailand to sign onto my account and sort it out for me.

Sounds like rubbish, def no geoblocking with gmail.

All our personal, business etc emails with all (travelling) employes on gmail (with own domain), never blocked because of an *IP* change, as long as you are on your old devices. 

Do you know how many people travel on gmail accounts?? 

You'll get an alert from gmail if it's really you that logged in to an old devices and that's it, there's a block button in there, are you sure you didn't click it? 

Also you should have 2FA auth enabled... 

I would assume, you may have some kind of malware issue - but this is not gmails default behavior at all.

16 hours ago, Moonlover said:

E mail is not generally location sensitive. It is after all an international system. So simply relocating should not block it. I was in Egypt recently and was able to access Yahoo and Hotmail without any problem.

But increasingly they are becoming device sensitive. If you try to log on from an unfamiliar device email servers are now seeking some additional verification. This is why it is important that one should have a mobile device or an alternative email address through which they can contact you.

to clarify, have a gmail acct accessed generally from same IP using VPN, this morning forgot to turn VPN on and guess what, gmail told me to provide security verification, since I don't pay to much attention to turning the VPN on, the same gmail security request always comes up not allowing me to retrieve my mail, same with my online bank account, thus the original OP complain about not being able to retrieve his gmail could be correct

20 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

this is very common if you come to Thailand. Banks will do the same as soon as they see Thailand IP. 

That’s why you inform your bank and credit card people of your travel plans before you go to another country. 

I’ve always gone to my bank and informed them before traveling anywhere in the world, including Thailand. They put an official note about my travel on my account and credit card in their computers that goes to all their banks and associate banking partners. That way I can do banking no matter what country my plane lands in, and whether I’m gone for weeks, or many months.

Never any problem accessing my money anywhere in the world. 

Get on a plane and fly off somewhere without talking to your bank and credit card people....don’t be surprised if you have a problem when you try to access your accounts at an ATM or anywhere else. 

21 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Interesting... I've had problems using my VPN to access Capital One, Chase and Wells Fargo. But as long as I don't use the VPN, they have never blocked me here or in Poland (visited daughter there).  However, when I changed computers, Capital One would no longer let me log-in. New computer earlier this year, but no problem with Chase or Fargo (or gmail).

I went back and forth from USA to Thailand via Qatar 4 times from 2015 thru 2018 (staying about 18 months in the US) and was never blocked by gmail or the banks. 

Question, do you have 2FA (2 Factor Authentication) enabled on your Gmail account ??

I have 2FA on my Gmail account and never ever had a problem when traveling that my account had been locked !

What is 2FA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-factor_authentication

Google Page about it: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185839?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Archived