Concrete drain piping holed

lowprofile

I dug up my drain to inspect it's condition, as I suspected it was blocked, and found a couple of smashed pieces.

The whole 5m section looks completely blocked with earth between the inspection holes. Patching and clearing does not seem to be an option.

Any idea if just digging up the whole section and then replacing with a plastic pipe would be a good option, sealing both ends at the inspection holes using that expanding foam stuff?

Cheers

LP

IMG_20191024_110715.jpg

IMG_20191024_110706_1.jpg

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I had the same problem with the clay pipes,tree roots grew into them

and blocked them, so had to dig up and replace with plastic pipe,

start digging.

regards worgeordie

Yes, poor initial garden planting plans and shoddy building....

I suppose I'm missing something, but what is it draining from (nothing looks wet)?  

Is there supposed to be a pipe running through the "inspection point" or is it designed to be a collection pit?  In any case, I don't see the necessity for "sealing" anything.

• Like 1

Water coming from sinks in the house and the gutter. Pipe runs along the wall from the back of the house to the gutter in the soi. There are a few inspection / collection holes on the way. One section has breaks in the clay pipe and is full of soil. Water seems to be draining out from one of the inspection / collection holes -must be a break in the cement there which I will have fo seal up.

I couldn't pull the clay pipes up out of the ditch I dug, they must be cemented in underneath. I think I can just break the tops of them all and lay a plastic pipe in the run and then seal up the ends by the inspection / collection holes.

Fingers crossed.

14 minutes ago, lowprofile said:

Water coming from sinks in the house and the gutter. Pipe runs along the wall from the back of the house to the gutter in the soi. There are a few inspection / collection holes on the way. One section has breaks in the clay pipe and is full of soil. Water seems to be draining out from one of the inspection / collection holes -must be a break in the cement there which I will have fo seal up.

I couldn't pull the clay pipes up out of the ditch I dug, they must be cemented in underneath. I think I can just break the tops of them all and lay a plastic pipe in the run and then seal up the ends by the inspection / collection holes.

Fingers crossed.

sounds like a plan

4 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

I suppose I'm missing something, but what is it draining from (nothing looks wet)?  

Is there supposed to be a pipe running through the "inspection point" or is it designed to be a collection pit?  In any case, I don't see the necessity for "sealing" anything.

Pipe runs to each side of the covered pits (which also allow collection of rainwater).  Most city homes have for drainage of gray and rain water into storm drains of roadway.