Non-O-A extension date will expire while abroad

Quick question, I'm sure Ubonjoe can help!

Been in Bkk on so-called retirement visa since 2014, annual extensions of stay and multiple re-entry permit.

My annual date is 7 Nov, and usually I renew the extension 15-45 days in advance, without any problems.

This year, due to a consultancy assignment, will not be able to return to Thailand before this extension (or rather re-entry permit) expires on 7 Nov.

Which is better option: a) Get new visa all over again in home country (I have to go there anyway for about 2 weeks 10-24 Nov); or

b) Enter Thailand on a tourist visa/ visa-on-arrival, whatever, and do the conversion process at CW? 

One problem with option b) could be that there is some sort of waiting period, is there not, and I may have to fly out again in mid-Dec.

Many thanks in advance.

a. In many countries you can only apply for a OA long stay visa that will require proof of insurance after the 31st of this month.

Getting a single entry non-o visa if possible would be a good option.

b. That is a good option as well. You would need at least 15 day remaining on your entry to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration. General requirements are here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

The wait to get the approval for the visa application is about 2 weeks or a little more at some offices.

You could get a re-entry permit for the 90 day entry if you could be back by the end of the 90 days to apply for the extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, captpkapoor said:

Which is better option: a) Get new visa all over again in home country (I have to go there anyway for about 2 weeks 10-24 Nov); or

b) Enter Thailand on a tourist visa/ visa-on-arrival, whatever, and do the conversion process at CW? 

One problem with option b) could be that there is some sort of waiting period, is there not, and I may have to fly out again in mid-Dec.

It is usually easier to get the visa in your home country, if available. It's not so easy to get a Single Entry Non O for retirement these days.

If you can meet the requirements you could get a Multiple Entry Non O-A from your home country. That would give you 1 year on entry, and any subsequent entries for 1 year. A final entry before the visa expires gives you a second year. This avoids the need for an extension of stay for nearly two years.

If you go for option B you would need to apply as soon as you land for the Non O. It can take a couple of weeks before they issue the visa/90 stay permit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2019 at 2:55 PM, ubonjoe said:

a. In many countries you can only apply for a OA long stay visa that will require proof of insurance after the 31st of this month.

Getting a single entry non-o visa if possible would be a good option.

b. That is a good option as well. You would need at least 15 day remaining on your entry to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration. General requirements are here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

The wait to get the approval for the visa application is about 2 weeks or a little more at some offices.

You could get a re-entry permit for the 90 day entry if you could be back by the end of the 90 days to apply for the extension.

Many thanks for the quick answer, Ubonjoe.

a) I can get 60 days single entry tourist visa in home country. The visa-on-arrival/ visa-exempt category only gives me 14 days.

b) If I took option (b), i.e. arrive in Bkk on this 60 day tourist visa, then almost immediately go to CW and get a 90 day Non-O, and also get a re-entry permit same day, is that allowed?

5 minutes ago, captpkapoor said:

a) I can get 60 days single entry tourist visa in home country. The visa-on-arrival/ visa-exempt category only gives me 14 days.

b) If I took option (b), i.e. arrive in Bkk on this 60 day tourist visa, then almost immediately go to CW and get a 90 day Non-O, and also get a re-entry permit same day, is that allowed?

a. You can apply with a 30 day visa exempt entry that has been extended for 30 days at immigration. If you have less than 15 days remaining they will do the extension at the same time you apply for the visa.

b. When you apply for the visa it will take about 2 weeks before they do the visa and entry stamps. The visa application has to be approved at the division level is the reason for the delay in getting it.

As soon as they do the visa/entry stamps you could apply for the re-entry permit.

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2019 at 2:57 PM, elviajero said:

It is usually easier to get the visa in your home country, if available. It's not so easy to get a Single Entry Non O for retirement these days.

If you can meet the requirements you could get a Multiple Entry Non O-A from your home country. That would give you 1 year on entry, and any subsequent entries for 1 year. A final entry before the visa expires gives you a second year. This avoids the need for an extension of stay for nearly two years.

If you go for option B you would need to apply as soon as you land for the Non O. It can take a couple of weeks before they issue the visa/90 stay permit.

Many thanks, El Viajero! (I like that moniker, btw, describes me to a T as well!).

Yes, never had a problem in the past getting the full 1 year multiple entry Non O-A at home before. I give them my bank statement printed out that same day from net banking at Bangkok Bank, and my condo registration papers etc. The only thing that takes a few days is the local Police Clearance Certificate. But they're not happy at me doing it there again - the response is, we've given you the O-A once, now just go on renewing it in Thailand, don't keep bothering us ????

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

a. You can apply with a 30 day visa exempt entry that has been extended for 30 days at immigration. If you have less than 15 days remaining they will do the extension at the same time you apply for the visa.

b. When you apply for the visa it will take about 2 weeks before they do the visa and entry stamps. The visa application has to be approved at the division level is the reason for the delay in getting it.

As soon as they do the visa/entry stamps you could apply for the re-entry permit.

No as far as I know, we get only 14 days visa exempt. 

So, as I understand it, it's easiest if I take the 60 day tourist visa from home country, apply for conversion at CW on arrival in Bkk, wait another 2 weeks, then return to CW for the final one year extension and multiple entry re-entry permit? Am I right?

18 minutes ago, captpkapoor said:

No as far as I know, we get only 14 days visa exempt. 

The only countries that get a visa 14 day visa exempt entry are Cambodia and Myanmar.

Or do you get a visa on arrival that allows a 15 day entry after applying for it.

See this list that has info. http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/filemanager/VISA/Visa on Arrival/VOA.pdf

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The only countries that get a visa 14 day visa exempt entry are Cambodia and Myanmar.

Or do you get a visa on arrival that allows a 15 day entry after applying for it.

See this list that has info. http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/filemanager/VISA/Visa on Arrival/VOA.pdf

Yes you're right (as usual)! Visa on arrival for 14 or 15 days, not sure.

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

But is this the way to go, then:-

So, as I understand it, it's easiest if I take the 60 day tourist visa from home country, apply for conversion at CW on arrival in Bkk, wait another 2 weeks, then return to CW for the final one year extension and multiple entry re-entry permit? Am I right?

12 minutes ago, captpkapoor said:

But is this the way to go, then:-

That is your only choice since you cannot apply while on a visa on arrival entry.

You will have plenty of time to apply during the 60 day entry from a tourist visa.

You can apply for the re-entry permit on the same day you get the visa and 90 day entry stamps.