Thai Commerce Ministry will appeal to the US for a review of GSP decision

webfact

Thai Commerce Ministry will appeal to the US for a review of GSP decision

cargo-container-commerce-commercial-9064

Thailand is to ask the United States to reconsider removal of trade preferences for Thai exports under the Generalized System of Preferences, Commerce Minister Jurin Laksanavisit said Sunday.

He said that, in the past, whenever trade benefits for Thai products exported to the US were suspended, Thailand appealed to the US adding, however, that it was at the US’s discretion whether to reconsider the suspension.

Once trade preferences for Thai products are removed, Mr Jurin said that those products become subject to taxation of between 4% and 5%, making such products more expensive in the US market.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-commerce-ministry-will-appeal-to-the-us-for-a-review-of-gsp-decision/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

But why would they bother? In another story today some government poser says the decision by the US to suspend its Generalised System of Preferences on some imported goods. will have very little impact. To be exact she said it would only be 0.01 per cent.

Typical military style government confusion and poor administrative communication. 

I was just thinking the same thing.

Over the many years living here, this seems to be the Thai's standard operating procedure.

Part of what we may be seeing is the mixed messaging, some really intended for the local Thai audience (show how strong the Thai are) and others intended for the international press (beg for forgiveness).

Either way, I really want them to fight.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is to ask the United States to reconsider removal of trade preferences for Thai exports under the Generalized System of Preferences

Trump's announcement comes just before his likely visit to Thailand during the 35th ASEAN Summit, to be held in Bangkok during October 31 to November 4.

So is it possible the timing was to pressure the Thai government into idolizing Trump during his visit that might further Trump's image as a popular world leader to his political support base? Another quid pro quo as with Ukraine's president for re-election?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Either way, I really want them to fight

So do I. Come on, Thailand. Go ahead and poke your finger in America's eye. Show'em who's boss. And just go crying to China if somebody thumps you on your nose and loads you up with even more tariffs in response.