THAI told to speed up ฿156bn new aircraft purchase plan

webfact

THAI told to speed up ฿156bn baht new aircraft purchase plan

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4oAY5WVeIgiK2Dg3gzS0cQma

Transport Minister Saksayam has ordered Thai Airways International to conclude its plan to purchase a fleet of 38 new aircraft, to replace its aging fleet at an estimated cost of 156 billion baht, within six months.

The minister also ordered the national flag carrier to streamline its operations and increase the efficiency of its 20,000 staff in order to cut costs, while maintaining or improving the quality of its services.

Explaining why he wanted to accelerate the procurement plan, Mr. Saksayam said that the new fleet will generate revenue and reduce costs while increasing THAI’s competitiveness.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-told-to-speed-up-฿156bn-baht-new-aircraft-purchase-plan/

thaipbs.jpg

I think the liquidation issue was somewhat overblown... if that were the case, I think we would have heard credible reports of lenders and banks (like credit card issuers) upping their reserve levels on future-date tickets.. 

Thai (as it is with any carrier) won’t be able to effectively “save” their way into a profit, so while I think they do need to take hard look at staff head count, work optimization and such, they will have to invest as well; with an eye towards revenue increases.

Thais 744s are on average 20yrs old with some dating back to 1993 and that’s got to be costly not only on the maintenance side, but hard on their operational reliability and of course fuel use... same can be said for a handful of their initial 772s and even some early 773s with many dating back to the mid- to late 90s...

So, I think they’ll have to invest (be that purchase or lease) in order to lower their ongoing maintenance costs, up their reliability rate and put out a more competitive hard (cabin) product when compared to their regional competitors.

Lowering their fares (which I cede aren’t always that competitive right now as it is) without also doing something to lower their associated cost structure just isn’t sustainable - so I think by doing a fleet renovation, while the initial investment will be high, I think the short term and mid-range cost savings will allow them to make fares more competitive.

I think the biggest change will have to be the hardest one - a corporate cultural shift... and for the most part that starts at the top.. this issue I think will be one that will take years to really change as those who may be more “entrenched” will either have to learn to adopt or leave ... and newer staff will have to be better trained from day 1.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, new2here said:

I think the liquidation issue was somewhat overblown... if that were the case, I think we would have heard credible reports of lenders and banks (like credit card issuers) upping their reserve levels on future-date tickets.. 

disagree …..  if the CEO has to come out and make a statement last week that things are not so good and it's dire then that tells me that it's very serious. They are not going to admit a liquidation crisis because whoever says those exact words will lose face badly and Thai's just don't admit like that. 

I wouldn't be buying any tickets on Thai that's for sure.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, new2here said:

Thai (as it is with any carrier) won’t be able to effectively “save” their way into a profit, so while I think they do need to take hard look at staff head count, work optimization and such, they will have to invest as well; with an eye towards revenue increases.

Thais 744s are on average 20yrs old with some dating back to 1993 and that’s got to be costly not only on the maintenance side, but hard on their operational reliability and of course fuel use... same can be said for a handful of their initial 772s and even some early 773s with many dating back to the mid- to late 90s...

So, I think they’ll have to invest (be that purchase or lease) in order to lower their ongoing maintenance costs, up their reliability rate and put out a more competitive hard (cabin) product when compared to their regional competitors.

Lowering their fares (which I cede aren’t always that competitive right now as it is) without also doing something to lower their associated cost structure just isn’t sustainable - so I think by doing a fleet renovation, while the initial investment will be high, I think the short term and mid-range cost savings will allow them to make fares more competitive.

I think the biggest change will have to be the hardest one - a corporate cultural shift... and for the most part that starts at the top.. this issue I think will be one that will take years to really change as those who may be more “entrenched” will either have to learn to adopt or leave ... and newer staff will have to be better trained from day 1.

Sounds like your the man for the job !!

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, new2here said:

It'll be easier just to cut maintenance. 

7 hours ago, Cadbury said:

THAI told to speed up ฿156bn baht new aircraft purchase plan

That is amazing.  CEO says the company is teetering on bankruptcy and they want to embark on buying more new planes.  Who would finance them?  Unless it is the Thai government a lender has to fear being the owner of now some used aircraft.  Thai does not seem to understand that the equipment on virtually every airline is viewed identically.  Either a Boeing or Airbus.  However, the fares are markedly different between Thai and virtually every other airline.  That means they have less than a full airplane which renders them not cost effective. That won't change with 36 new planes.