Mobile Internet (USB+Sim) for my laptop. How?

Happy Grumpy

I need to set up a mobile internet connection for my laptop. It needs to be at least 10mbps.

I believe that the best/easiest way is to buy some sort of USB stick that has a slot for a Sim Card.

That looks like this:

cTezasj.jpg 

Then buy a Sim Card, and somehow use it to purchase a Internet Data package using the simcard.

Is that correct?

I don't know or have any experience of doing it before.

If it's correct, is there a specific type of USB/Simcard stick that I should buy?

It's for use around the North of Thailand, is there a provider that is best for that region? Dtac, AIS, 1-2 Call, True, etc?

TIA. 

The best providers for those areas will be AIS or True, depending on the popular choice in each specific area.

However, with a stick like that you will not get a very good connection. I´ve tried that before. I would say it´s better you have a mobile phone of a better brand, and buy an Internet package for that. After you use it for USB tethering or USB Hotpsot. That has been giving better and faster Internet speed connections for me when travel around.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JamJar said:

Thanks.

unlocked-Huawei-e5573-4g-dongle-4g-wifi-

What do you do?

1. Buy a Sim Card. Put it into this thing. Then connect it to your PC or Laptop via USB?

2. Buy a Data package, by putting the Sim card into your phone, topping it up with money, and purchasing it via a given number/code typed in on your phone.

3. Put the simcard back into it, connect to  the computer via USB and the PC/Laptop can connect to the internet from it? 

It's many years ago, but the USB stick solution worked fine for me.

It depends on how good the coverage/signal in your area/premises are.

But as written above: if you already have a smartphone always on, then tethering mobile/WiFi hotspot is easier to handle.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

If you're living here long-term, go with a post-paid plan from AIS with unlimited 3G/4G. It will run you around 1000THB per month but there is no speed cap at all. If you want to travel with it, get a mobile phone to use as a hotspot or USB/mini-router as the others have suggested. If it's for your house, go with a 4G router from ASUS or TP-Link.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Thanks.

unlocked-Huawei-e5573-4g-dongle-4g-wifi-

What do you do?

1. Buy a Sim Card. Put it into this thing. Then connect it to your PC or Laptop via USB?

2. Buy a Data package, by putting the Sim card into your phone, topping it up with money, and purchasing it via a given number/code typed in on your phone.

3. Put the simcard back into it, connect to  the computer via USB and the PC/Laptop can connect to the internet from it? 

You have two options;

One is to put the SIM card with the data pack within and use the device's HotSpot function. It creates a WiFi signal to which you can connect up to ten devices. This is the way most will use it.

Alternatively, you can plug it in via USB and use it in the same way as a USB dongle;

Make sure E5573s-320 is turned on(By tapping the power button to see if the indicator lights);To turn on E5573s-320, hold and press the power button until the light turns on to power on. If E5573s-320 is out of battery power, please charge it by USB cable or power adaptor.

Find the drive path “MobileWiFi”, it should appear as one virtual CD-ROM drive in “My Computer”. Double click to open it, then you can find “AutoRun.exe” ,double click and install the driver manually.

But most will just use the device as a HotSpot and connect via WiFi.

https://community.three.ie/t5/Phone-Support-KB/HUAWEI-E5573-Wifi-Router/ta-p/755979

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 8:33 AM, Matzzon said:

I would say it´s better you have a mobile phone of a better brand, and buy an Internet package for that.

Yes, I would rather just use your smart phone (most people have one these days) and turn on the hot spot function. Easy interface and no need to buy any more hardware.

• Thanks 1