Electronic Map Of Chiang Mai

Crow Boy

Some time ago I was talking with a couple of guys and one said he had just bought a CD which had an electronic map of Chiang Mai. From memory it had most of the towns (major) in Thailand but I was specifically interested in CM. I have looked around but not found anything like it.

Lots of times I get asked for a map or directions in eMails etc and this would make it much easier.

The map can be zoomed down to a just a couple of streets or give the overview of the whole of CM. It can be cut and pasted into other applications including Mail etc.

Has anyone seen this and if so where can I get a copy?

Some time ago I was talking with a couple of guys and one said he had just bought a CD which had an electronic map of Chiang Mai. From memory it had most of the towns (major) in Thailand but I was specifically interested in CM. I have looked around but not found anything like it.

Lots of times I get asked for a map or directions in eMails etc and this would make it much easier.

The map can be zoomed down to a just a couple of streets or give the overview of the whole of CM. It can be cut and pasted into other applications including Mail etc.

I have CD maps for Thailand and Bangkok bought at Se-Ed bookstores or online. Their website

is not showing anything for Chiangmai but perhaps it has not been updated yet.

The GPS maps for Thailand are good but I don't know if you can get a stand-alone CD version. Might be worth checking the GPS shop in Panthip Plaza?

I'd be looking for something like www.moffle.com , but then for Chiang Mai instead of Bangkok.

(Based on Google Maps / Google Earth)

I sent an eMail to Moffle and asked if they have anything similar for CM. Their map has the facility to do a "Draw a map to my home and send by eMail" which is exactly what I am after.

I have CD maps for Thailand and Bangkok bought at Se-Ed bookstores or online. Their website

is not showing anything for Chiangmai but perhaps it has not been updated yet.

The GPS maps for Thailand are good but I don't know if you can get a stand-alone CD version. Might be worth checking the GPS shop in Panthip Plaza?

I wil check out the SE-Ed bookshop and find out, I checked on line and they have one for Thailand and several for places like Pattaya but nothing showing for CM. I will probably get the Thailand one unless the CM store has a CM specific version.

I will also check out the GPS shop in Panthip (do you know the details - name, floor?) and see what I can get.

thanks

Hi Crow Boy

The shop is called eagle GPS, I think it is on the 3rd floor in Panthip. It is run by 2 brothers ( I think they are polish ) who are very friendly and helpful, I just bought them a Garmin Etrex Legend Cx, brilliant machine, but they do have a vast choice...

Good luck

Phil

Hi Crow Boy

The shop is called eagle GPS, I think it is on the 3rd floor in Panthip. It is run by 2 brothers ( I think they are polish ) who are very friendly and helpful, I just bought them a Garmin Etrex Legend Cx, brilliant machine, but they do have a vast choice...

Good luck

Phil

Excellent - thanks - maybe I need to get one attached to the bike :o

Hi Crow Boy

Good luck

Phil

Excellent - thanks - maybe I need to get one attached to the bike :o

Garmin also makes adapters that you can fit on your handle bar, but it is rather expensive compared to the price of the GPS itself. I used mine when we went on a motorbike ride north a few weeks ago, and use it daily when I go to Huay Tung Tao on my push bike.

Phil

Hi Crow Boy

Good luck

Phil

Went into Eagle GPS last night - thanks for the directions - yes the shop is on the third loor on the Night Bazaar side on the building. I got a copy of the Road Map of thailand (299Baht) which is better than what I had but still not what I want. The smallest scale is 1:50,000 which is not enough to show the small streets. The GPS option will not really work for me. I spoke to the two girls working there (definitely not Polish guys unless the operation was a full body transplant). To use a Garmin GPS and use the mapping tools on my PC I would need to buy the receiver plus the additional software which is very expensive.

Yesterday afternoon I visited www.moffle.com as suggested by chanchao, check out the site it is interesting. They only have a map for Bangkok but it is very good with the option to make your own etc. I left a message to ask them about Chiang Mai and this morning got a reply from them to say they are working on a CM map at this time and will send me an eMail when it is completed. I asked them if I can buy a copy as soon as it is ready and as soon as I get it I will post a review and contact details.

Thanks for the help - still think I may get the GPS for the bike and yes the Eltrex Legend is very nice - bit expensive for what I need it to do but would be a handy gadget.

I have establish my own criteria for a usable map for CM and that is the map must show Highway 121 as built a year and half ago. So far, I have not found any!

Google Earth works for me but no street names. Their premier version at some cost may have them, but I don"t know.

I do know there are Google Maps in the U.S. that have street names.

It may take a while before they get here. It was only last year that I could find my house, 8Km north of the city, on google earth.

I have establish my own criteria for a usable map for CM and that is the map must show Highway 121 as built a year and half ago. So far, I have not found any!

Google Earth works for me but no street names. Their premier version at some cost may have them, but I don"t know.

I do know there are Google Maps in the U.S. that have street names.

It may take a while before they get here. It was only last year that I could find my house, 8Km north of the city, on google earth.

I know what you mean - it is strange becuase most maps of Chiang Mai stop just inside or truncate Hwy 121 - the outer ring road which is now a major route.

I am hoping the moffle guys will address that problem when they release their electronic map of CM

CB

If you have a series 60 v3 nokia phone you can download mapping software for free from Noka. I was very surprised that it very detailed showing every soi, wat, gas station and every mouban in Chiang Mai and northern Thailand. Something that I was never able to find in any map anywhere. Amazing maps. If you have a bluetooth GPS then it works with it. However you dont need to have GPS as you can use the maps without it. The new Nokia N95 phones have the software and GPS built in. I am using an N80 with an external bluetooth GPS.

Probably other GPS software might have the same detailed maps, but I don't know which ones.

Just on FYI. The most up to date and useful GPS map of Thailand is a map put out by E.S.R.I. It contains all the usual points of interest most GPS maps contain and is capable of great autorouting through complex cities like BKK and CM. A fantastic boon for exploring on the motorbike.

Sadly it is costly at about 12000 bht and most likely out of the scope of the OP's query. Just thought others may like the datapoint.

Yes, it is very good in urban areas but in case you want to go "off the beaten track" in particular in the more remote areas, the ESRI/Garmin map lacks detail and often has no roads at all.

Hey I just want to find my way from San Kamphaeng to the Hang Dong Road :o

Yes, it is very good in urban areas but in case you want to go "off the beaten track" in particular in the more remote areas, the ESRI/Garmin map lacks detail and often has no roads at all.

Crow Boy

If that's all you want, spend 99 baht & buy yourself a copy of the Mae Sa Samoeng paper map. Even the Blue Kiss is on the map!

And the map's available from the Downunder, right at the bar. See ya there on the weekend sometime for some real footy.

Edited by davidgtr

Crow Boy

If that's all you want, spend 99 baht & buy yourself a copy of the Mae Sa Samoeng paper map. Even the Blue Kiss is on the map!

And the map's available from the Downunder, right at the bar. See ya there on the weekend sometime for some real footy.

Think I will - umm you wouldn't have just bought a black and yellow leather jacket recently would you?

CB

Downunder still open? Seems shut everytime i go past, but did notice footy on the menu for the weekend. And it seems very similar to a place for sale on sunbelt. Are they doing the world cup?

Definitely open when I was there the other night - you may be confusing it with the True Blue on Moon Muang which is for sale and has closed down.

That said you are on the wrong thread so maybe you should check in with us at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...11348&st=30

CB

Edited by Crow Boy