Thai bank with non-sms two-factor option (i.e. email, google auth or similar)

We live in farangland, but wifey still maintain an SCB bank account for ad-hoc needs, like occationally helping out the family. The problem is that they require SMS two factor authentication to a Thai number for all online activities.  I was wondering if any Thai bank offer alternative two-factor authentication, for example by email, using google auth, or anything else really.  

Bonus question: what is required for a Thai to open a bank account - just the ID, or anything else like tabien baen? 

• Haha 1

I know that Krungsri also asks for SMS codes for many activities.

You can also keep a Thai mobile number/simcard. You only have to keep the number active. From abroad you can use https://mobiletopup.com/ for that. It costs about $ 0.50 a month. And that money is not gone, you can use the simcard and the balance when visiting Thailand.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Phil Conners said:

Ok, that's a bit of a thinking-out-of-the-box solution. So no problem sending SMS to a Thai SIM in farangland then?

My prepaid AIS sim works in Europe. But...  When putting the phone on with that simcard in it it can take some time till it works. I think when connecting to a network the roaming part must work (probably it requires some communication between where you are and Thailand), and sometimes this takes some time. 

I am using it to receive codes from Krungsri.

I am sure US readers here can tell about their experiences.

Edited by dimitriv

55 minutes ago, Phil Conners said:

Ok, that's a bit of a thinking-out-of-the-box solution. So no problem sending SMS to a Thai SIM in farangland then?

I still use both Kasikorn & Krungsri accounts when in the UK, no problem with receiving SMS to my AIS SIM.

Why not simply enable the Thai mobile phone for roaming and use it in the same way as you do in Thailand?  Bank SMS messages are usually free.  You have to do that inside Thailand and it's *125*1# for 1-2-Call sim cards.  You may even be able to call the help centre to get them to enable it for you.

I don’t know anything about transferwise, but you can get a payoneer account online, $1.25 per transaction, and takes 3 days to send. The recipient will also need an account. All you need is one password to enter the system and move money about, I know it’s not a bank, but it’s a good alternative. 

If using the SIM abroad  then make sure to disable data either on the phone and/or by USSD code (dial with the dialler)

for example Dtac

*104*72*9#  turns data off     *104*71*9#   turns data on

otherwise you'll use up all your credit or get a big bill.

Mobile apps seem to be the way to go nowadays. The banks regard them as more secure than on-line banking as they have 2 factor security built in.

The bank's system registers and henceforth recognizes your device first before you can proceed any further, And it can be used worldwide.

I use my Krungsri mobile app (KMA) far more than I do on-line via the computer, even when I'm sat at my desk!

37 minutes ago, zig said:

You can also add the accounts to which you usually transfer to a predefined 3rd party account list.  In SCB they do not require the SMS authorization when transferring money to an account from this list.

Most banks don't require sms authorization at all when transferring money. Purchases online is another matter.

I often use my Kasikorn Bank app (K-Plus) when I'm abroad. No issues whatsoever, no SMS required to send money or to make payments.

Using their regular "cyber banking" website, on the other hand, an OTP sent by SMS is required for most transactions.

22 hours ago, Phil Conners said:

The problem is that they require SMS two factor authentication to a Thai number for all online activities.  I was wondering if any Thai bank offer alternative two-factor authentication, for example by email, using google auth, or anything else really.

I have had internet banking for over 10 years with Kasikorn.

The bank originally gave me a 2FA.

I work offshore and I do not have a cellular connection in the middle of the ocean.

They bank has given me a PIN2 option, it works for me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Most banks don't require sms authorization at all when transferring money. Purchases online is another matter.

Dont know about most banks but Bangkok Bank does require a OTP to transfer online to another account if it is not in your predefined 3rd party account list

So like Zig said set up accounts in your web interface before leaving Thailand then no problem to transfer to those when out of the country as they do not require a OTP

Edited by meechai

10 minutes ago, meechai said:

Dont know about most banks but Bangkok Bank does require a OTP to transfer online to another account if it is not in your predefined 3rd party account list

So like Zig said set up accounts in your web interface before leaving Thailand then no problem to transfer to those when out of the country as they do not require a OTP

I use Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank. I transfer money sometimes to accounts which are not in my 3rd party account lists, and no OTP needed. 

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I use Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank. I transfer money sometimes to accounts which are not in my 3rd party account lists, and no OTP needed. 

Wow thru internet Bualuang ibanking ? Meaning thru internet account interface

Of course you can transfer to any account if using an ATM goes without saying