Creative fee structures ???? at immigration

Just been told by a language school in Phuket that to get a 1 year (or any other extended period ED Visa) that in order to get approved for the next 90 days we are required to pay the officers at Phuket Immigration 5000 Baht to get through the process and be approved/extended.

This is 3100 Baht more than the prescribed fee for this 90 day reporting and extension approval.

Can any of my more learned senior TV members advise me who I should be reporting this blatant and illegal touting to? Yes I am deadly serious about reporting this to the highest in Immigration.

And for all of you folks who are prone to say stuff like 'welcome to thailand', and other such stuff to me, don't bother I already know all about 'the way things are done in LOS'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is the school doing the great majority of the visa extension processing....kinda acting like an agent for you?  That is, you pretty much set in the background while the school processing the extension request for you?

Or are "you" doing all the paperwork and interface with immigration?

If it the former, then it sounds like the school is basically telling you what they need to spend to get the visa extension for you.  And maybe some of that "sending" involves stuffed envelopes.

1 minute ago, Pib said:

Is the school doing the great majority of the visa extension processing....kinda acting like an agent for you?  That is, you pretty much set in the background while the school processing the extension request for you?

If it the former, then it sounds like the school is basically telling you what they need to spend to get the visa extension for you.  And maybe some of that "sending" involves stuffed envelopes.

nope not acting as my agent I am doing the immigration thing by myself. They have not made as you suggest ... to be 'acting for me'

Just now, saengd said:

Query the fee structure with Bangkok. 

yep thanks that is what I thought to do. I'll follow this us saengd, much obliged for the confirmation of contemplated action. Apparently every school student on any extended ED visa on the island is forced or coerced into doing this. But I'll be damned if I'm gunna be shafted like that. 

• Like 1

Just now, Alotoftravel said:

I copied this and paste it to assist whom to call;

Big Oud said he would be going after both Thais and foreigners breaking the law. 

The public were urged to go to Room 507 at Suan Phlu to report wrongdoing or call 1178.

Roger that brother ???? Many thanks, I shall put on my best clobber and manners (suitable wai's included) and visit Room 507 ????

4 minutes ago, Alotoftravel said:

I copied this and paste it to assist whom to call;

Big Oud said he would be going after both Thais and foreigners breaking the law. 

The public were urged to go to Room 507 at Suan Phlu to report wrongdoing or call 1178.

If you call 1178 when you are at Phuket you will be connected to the immigration office in Phuket, i doubt they will help OP.

How do they ask you for the 5000 THB?

You hand them your documents, and 1900 THB, and then what? They say you have to pay 5000 and not 1900 THB?

Edited by jackdd

27 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Just been told by a language school in Phuket that to get a 1 year (or any other extended period ED Visa) that in order to get approved for the next 90 days we are required to pay the officers at Phuket Immigration 5000 Baht to get through the process and be approved/extended.

This is 3100 Baht more than the prescribed fee for this 90 day reporting and extension approval.

Can any of my more learned senior TV members advise me who I should be reporting this blatant and illegal touting to? Yes I am deadly serious about reporting this to the highest in Immigration.

And for all of you folks who are prone to say stuff like 'welcome to thailand', and other such stuff to me, don't bother I already know all about 'the way things are done in LOS'.

What do you propose to report, that someone's just told you that this may be happening, i.e. hearsay, in which case there's nothing much to report because you have no evidence, or, has it actually happened to you?   If it happened when you 90-day reported what did you do about it, pay?

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

At your next class ask them to teach you in Thai.

Don't fart against thunder

Big fish eat little fish.

Don't know if you're aware that the Thai equivalent for A bird in the hand is worth two  in the bush. Turns out it's on the lines of  It's better to hold a sh-t than a fart.

Edited by overherebc
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Could this be something to do with people who aren't quite following the rules re ED visas and Immigration know about it, hence the extra fee?

That's what I was thinking too.

Also I think I read long ago already that 1-year extension for ED were now possible only in very few cases and schools ??

These 3'100 baht could be the price of corruption to get an extension the OP doesn't qualify for... :ermm:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

That's what I was thinking too.

Also I think I read long ago already that 1-year extension for ED were now possible only in very few cases and schools ??

These 3'100 baht could be the price of corruption to get an extension the OP doesn't qualify for... :ermm:

You mean try to stay in Thailand when you don't qualify on any of the requirements, use a semi legal work around and then bitch about being caught out and get all bitter and twisted about it? ????

12 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Don't need the "best of luck", thanks, anymore than I need an ED visa!

Well, you don't really need an ED visa to study Thai. Any visa/extension held allows you to study. If you approach a school and say I have an O visa/extension an O-A visa or whatever kind of visa/extension you hold and the school says 'you need an ED visa' then something ain't Kosher John. ????????

Edited by overherebc
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Well, you don't really need an ED visa to study Thai. Any visa/extension held allows you to study. If you approach a school and say I have an O visa/extension an O-A visa or whatever kind of visa/extension you hold and the school says 'you need an ED visa' then something ain't Kosher John. ????????

Don't understand why you've joined in to give me ED advise now also! 

I made a comment regarding a possible reason for the extra charge, that's all.  I don't want an ED visa, I don't need an ED visa, I'm quite happy with the extension I have, thanks.

58 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Don't understand why you've joined in to give me ED advise now also! 

I made a comment regarding a possible reason for the extra charge, that's all.  I don't want an ED visa, I don't need an ED visa, I'm quite happy with the extension I have, thanks.

Sorry, thought I was posting on a similar feeling re'ED visas. No personal slight intended.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pib said:

no to all your points.

20 hours ago, overherebc said:

Nobody's telling me to get an ed visa ... John.    

40 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Yeah right on mate, couldn't agree more. There are some truly some really sad, chronic weiner takers folks posting on this forum huh. 

Think about going back to being a troppo surfer, hang loose man!

• Haha 1