Bank letters for extension of stay based on retirement

My questions relate to obtaining bank letters for renewal of extension of stay based on retirement.

Have been here many years but first time my last 90day and extension of stay renewal dates are very close.

My 90 day is due 11th November will 8th or 11th ( hope immigration not closed for  Loy Krathong ).

My extension of stay is due 7th December, but will do on 4th.

I would like to do appropriate visas on the dates shown above, simply more convenient for other things I have to do.

I will as usual require the bank letter for the extension of stay application.

Will I need the bank letter for the 90 day report as it falls within the 2 month period ?  My 800K bank deposit has always remained untouched.

Is the bank letter now also required when applying for 90 day extension when I get my new extension of stay visa ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

First of all it is always helpful if you state what Immigration office you will be using.

There is never any need for a bank letter do file a 90-day report. A 90-day report has nothing to do with anything other than the continuous time you stay in Thailand. It has nothing to do with your extension. The proximity of your 90-day report due date and your extension date is pure coincidence. Why would Immigration suddenly connect the two events?

The bank letter that you submit for your 1-year permission of stay based on retirement will only state that you have a bank account and the balance on the day of the letter. Typically the bank letter has to be produced within a week of your application. Sometimes 1 day. Sometimes same day. It depends on your Immigration office.

When you apply for your 1-year extension you will give them your bank passbook. they will examine the bankbook to determine if you had a minimum of 800,000 baht in your account for the two months prior to the application. When I got my extension last month at Bangkok Immigration I also submitted 3 months of bank statements that I obtained from Kasikorn bank. I'm not sure if I needed the statements but the Immigration officer accepted them as part of my stack of documents.

You typically can apply for your next extension of stay 30 days before the due date. In Bangkok you can apply 45 days before the due date. Why wait until the 4th to apply for yours? If you apply earlier and you have some problems with your documents then you have time to sort it out. If you report to the Bangkok Immigration office you can probably do your 90-day report and your 1-year extension on the same day though that would make for a pretty long day.

Good luck. 

OP, you appear to be confusing 90 day reports (no bank letter required) and the requirement to show account balance 90 days after getting an extension (only enforced in a couple of immigration offices), nothing to do with regular 90 day reports.

There is no such thing as a 90 day extension.

You could do your extension of stay and 90 day report on the same day. You can apply for the extension up to 30 days early.

No reason to wait until your extension is close to ending since it the new one starts on the day the old one ends.

You can get the letter from the bank the day before you apply.

Immigration will be open on the 11th. Loy Krathong is not a official holiday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could do your extension of stay and 90 day report on the same day. You can apply for the extension up to 30 days early.

No reason to wait until your extension is close to ending since it the new one starts on the day the old one ends.

"No reason to wait until your extension is close to ending since it the new one starts on the day the old one ends."

Not at Chonburi Immigration. My renewal date was 8 October, but I did it on 10 September. My next renewal date as per the stamp in my passport is 10 September 2020. This was my first marriage extension, previous retirement extensions which I always did a month early were always stamped a year from the old date.

Edited by jesimps

4 hours ago, jesimps said:

Not at Chonburi Immigration. My renewal date was 8 October, but I did it on 10 September. My next renewal date as per the stamp in my passport is 10 September 2020. This was my first marriage extension, previous retirement extensions which I always did a month early were always stamped a year from the old date.

That was due to you changing the reason the reason for your extension. They consider doing that as canceling your existing extension so they start the new one from the day you apply.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration at Prachinburi insist that the bank letter is issued on the same day so watch out for that. Best to check with your local office first to avoid frustration and disappointment. I bank with BBL and only the largest branch can issue the letter but they can do it on the spot. 

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks ubonjoe.

I go to the Khon Kaen office.

Yes, I know I can do on the same day but it was just a confirmation question.

Yes, I understand that the new extension of stay date starts on the initial date, i.e. for me 7th December.
I always thought that bank letter had to be on same date as visa date, that's what I was told at immigration a long time ago.
Loy Krathong not an official day but ...

What is the procedure for the new 800K in the bank 2 months before visa application, would I need a bank letter when I do my 90day

1 hour ago, 1DegreeN said:

Immigration at Prachinburi insist that the bank letter is issued on the same day so watch out for that. Best to check with your local office first to avoid frustration and disappointment. I bank with BBL and only the largest branch can issue the letter but they can do it on the spot. 

Yes, my immigration office is Khon Kaen they always asked for bank letter on day of application.  My bank is Kbank, my local branch would not do and I would have to get the bus from where live 50Km away and go to main bank branch in KK.  Now the bank policy has changed and I can get in my town before getting bus to KK.

3 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

What is the procedure for the new 800K in the bank 2 months before visa application, would I need a bank letter when I do my 90day

Not unless you applied for the extension on the same day. It is not required for a 90 day report.

6 hours ago, Martyp said:

First of all it is always helpful if you state what Immigration office you will be using.

There is never any need for a bank letter do file a 90-day report. A 90-day report has nothing to do with anything other than the continuous time you stay in Thailand. It has nothing to do with your extension. The proximity of your 90-day report due date and your extension date is pure coincidence. Why would Immigration suddenly connect the two events?

The bank letter that you submit for your 1-year permission of stay based on retirement will only state that you have a bank account and the balance on the day of the letter. Typically the bank letter has to be produced within a week of your application. Sometimes 1 day. Sometimes same day. It depends on your Immigration office.

When you apply for your 1-year extension you will give them your bank passbook. they will examine the bankbook to determine if you had a minimum of 800,000 baht in your account for the two months prior to the application. When I got my extension last month at Bangkok Immigration I also submitted 3 months of bank statements that I obtained from Kasikorn bank. I'm not sure if I needed the statements but the Immigration officer accepted them as part of my stack of documents.

You typically can apply for your next extension of stay 30 days before the due date. In Bangkok you can apply 45 days before the due date. Why wait until the 4th to apply for yours? If you apply earlier and you have some problems with your documents then you have time to sort it out. If you report to the Bangkok Immigration office you can probably do your 90-day report and your 1-year extension on the same day though that would make for a pretty long day.

Good luck. 

Yes, thank you.   My immigration office is Khon Kaen.   I have been here many years now so wanted to check any new regs before heading off to KK.  

6 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, you appear to be confusing 90 day reports (no bank letter required) and the requirement to show account balance 90 days after getting an extension (only enforced in a couple of immigration offices), nothing to do with regular 90 day reports.

There is no such thing as a 90 day extension.

No not confusing but wanted to check about proof of 800K in bank related to new regulations, 2 month before and 3 months after extension of stay.

By extension of stay I meant this in relation to ( extension of stay based on ) retirement visa.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I thought it was up to 45 days early? Can you please verify if 45 days early at CW (Bangkok)? I need to get mine renewed 44 days early at CW later this month. 

5 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

I thought it was up to 45 days early? Can you please verify if 45 days early at CW (Bangkok)? I need to get mine renewed 44 days early at CW later this month. 

You can apply for a one year extension of stay 45 days early at CW. I receive my most recent extension of stay at CW on October 7th. This is 42 days before the current extension expiration of November 19th. My new extension of stay expiration date is November 19, 2020.

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2019 at 3:25 PM, Speedo1968 said:

Yes, my immigration office is Khon Kaen they always asked for bank letter on day of application.  

I’ve just done my Extension at KK- again.  They have never, and still do not, require your bank letter dated the same day as your application. Only bank book update (eg 100b deposit/withdrawal) needs to be done same day. Letter can be obtained up to 2 (or is it 3?) days before the application. 

16 hours ago, Nemises said:

I’ve just done my Extension at KK- again.  They have never, and still do not, require your bank letter dated the same day as your application. Only bank book update (eg 100b deposit/withdrawal) needs to be done same day. Letter can be obtained up to 2 (or is it 3?) days before the application. 

Thanks for your comments.
Maybe sometimes, it depends on the officer.  

As it takes me 90 minutes ( walk and bus ) to get to the immigration office I think I will stick on same day for bank letter, just in case.   

Previously my local KBank didn't issue letters so I had to go to the one in KK.    Yes I am aware that the deposit / withdrawal / bank book update needs to be done same day.