Getting 60-day tourist visa in Kuala Lumpur

Hello, about how much time should I give to obtain a 60-day tourist visa in mid-January from the Thai Consulate in Kuala Lumpur? I know they have an online appointment, but I wanted to see what kind of experience people have had recently. Thank you for your assistance.

On 11/2/2019 at 5:28 PM, ubonjoe said:

You apply the morning of one day and pickup the next afternoon at the embassy in Kuala Lumpur.

Link to the checklist for a tourist visa application and the appointment site is on this page.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/99061-Visa-Requirements-II.html

Thanks Ubon. Is Penang still like it used to be? I just got back to Thailand yesterday with a 30 day visa exempt thing. My landlady says she's never heard of TM30 so I think it would be unwise of me to try and extend for another 30 days at the beginning of December so was thinking of going to Penang to get a full SETV. Been a while since I've had to deal with any of Thailand's visa rules so any advice or tips would be most welcome. In short, where is the best place to get one that isn't tppp far away?

You have to download & print out all the application forms but theres a bloke around the corner that has them printed for 10 ringgit,best way to get there is get the train to green park from kl central,go out through the exit to citibank,take a left & about 15 min walk or get a taxi,cheap enough,get there early as always long queues & no shade

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

Thanks Ubon. Is Penang still like it used to be? I just got back to Thailand yesterday with a 30 day visa exempt thing. My landlady says she's never heard of TM30 so I think it would be unwise of me to try and extend for another 30 days at the beginning of December so was thinking of going to Penang to get a full SETV. Been a while since I've had to deal with any of Thailand's visa rules so any advice or tips would be most welcome. In short, where is the best place to get one that isn't tppp far away?

These days, Kuala Lumpur is a safer bet for tourist visas than Penang. The behaviour of the officials in Penang towards tourist visa applicants can be quite arbitrary.

• 1 month later...

I am going to KL early January for Tourist Visa too.  

I dont have a flight out of thailand booked, or do i have any thai accomodation booked.  

I see on the checklist from the embassy that they are asking to see proof of both of these.

Does anyone know if they are enforcing this rule at present?

Also, should i take proof of funds too just in case?

38 minutes ago, UKJASE said:

I see on the checklist from the embassy that they are asking to see proof of both of these.

Yes they are.

38 minutes ago, UKJASE said:

Also, should i take proof of funds too just in case?

Never hurts to have it incase asked for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UKJASE said:

I am going to KL early January for Tourist Visa too.  

I dont h.ave a flight out of thailand booked, or do i have any thai accomodation booked.  

If you don't have acomodation when arriving in Thailand, you can use one of the Hotel-booking sites like Booking.com, to book 2-3 nights that can be cancelled for free on day of arrival.

For an outbound flight you could book a throw-away ticket (e.g. one-way HuaHin to KL with AirAsia for approx 850 THB).  You could also book a fully refundable ticket with Expedia, and cancel it after arrival.  Lastly you could also book a rental-ticket (fly onward) that stays valid 24h or 36h, and costs approx 10 US $

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

If you don't have acomodation when arriving in Thailand, you can use one of the Hotel-booking sites like Booking.com, to book 2-3 nights that can be cancelled for free on day of arrival.

For an outbound flight you could book a throw-away ticket (e.g. one-way HuaHin to KL with AirAsia for approx 850 THB).  You could also book a fully refundable ticket with Expedia, and cancel it after arrival.  Lastly you could also book a rental-ticket (fly onward) that stays valid 24h or 36h, and costs approx 10 US $

I am curious why you suggested booking 2-3 nights of lodging. Doesn't the tourist visa application require proof of lodging for the entire stay? Also, there are very few accommodations that allow cancellation on the same day that a reservation starts. I was assuming I could cancel the reservation after I printed it out, and that immigration was unlikely to call the accommodation to see if the reservation was still good. Does anyone think this is actually risky?

3 minutes ago, Jlop said:

I am curious why you suggested booking 2-3 nights of lodging. Doesn't the tourist visa application require proof of lodging for the entire stay? Also, there are very few accommodations that allow cancellation on the same day that a reservation starts. I was assuming I could cancel the reservation after I printed it out, and that immigration was unlikely to call the accommodation to see if the reservation was still good. Does anyone think this is actually risky?

As a tourist it is only logical that you will be traveling the country, and so they can hardly expect you to have booked lodging for the entire stay.

On booking.com there are many accomodations that only require to pay when you arrive at the premisses, and can be cancelled before arrival.  But that's indeed not very nice for the place, so your suggestion to book, then print-out and then cancel, is a much more elegant way to do it since Immigration for sure will not call the place to check whether indeed you booked there.

By the way in all the years and my many/many arrivals in Bangkok, I have NEVER been asked to show proof of sufficient cash with me, a hotel-booking or an onward flight.   

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks UbonJoe, wasn't aware KL required it.

Still rather weird imo to require accommodation for the whole stay in Thailand when you are coming as a tourist.

But booking on a Hotel-site and cancelling the booking after approval of the Visa, would be the sensible way to address the issue.

22 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

As a tourist it is only logical that you will be traveling the country, and so they can hardly expect you to have booked lodging for the entire stay.

On booking.com there are many accomodations that only require to pay when you arrive at the premisses, and can be cancelled before arrival.  But that's indeed not very nice for the place, so your suggestion to book, then print-out and then cancel, is a much more elegant way to do it since Immigration for sure will not call the place to check whether indeed you booked there.

By the way in all the years and my many/many arrivals in Bangkok, I have NEVER been asked to show proof of sufficient cash with me, a hotel-booking or an onward flight.   

The airline is more likely to ask a traveler than the immigration office for proof of onward travel, since apparently the airline gets stuck with the cost of your return ticket if immigration demands to see a return or onward ticket and you don't have it. Recently when checking in with Delta Airlines in America, they  demanded to see proof of when & how I was leaving my destination (Malaysia), because I booked my onward flight from Malaysia to Thailand on a separate reservation with AirAsia. They accepted the e-ticket on my phone.

Edited by Jlop
Typo
  • Like 1