Anyone use PC's instead of laptop?

noodleslayer

On 11/4/2019 at 9:09 AM, johng said:

You can bring it in a suitcase  monitor might be a bit difficult depending on size...or just buy a new PC when you get to Thailand, unless you want very high end spec stuff its all available here at reasonable prices.

Please bear in mind that Thailand runs on nominally 230 volts and 50 Hertz and the US is on 115 volts and 60 hertz.

You will need a step down transformer for the pc and the monitor and if you have a problem you may not be able to get the spare parts in Thailand.

Just about everything you can purchase now comes already setup up to run 220/110 v 50/60 Hz.  Check what your buy before you purchase and you'll probably be fine.  Everything I have now was purchased in the last two years in the US with the exception of my big screen LED TVs' and even they are dual voltage/Hz ready...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Please bear in mind that Thailand runs on nominally 230 volts and 50 Hertz and the US is on 115 volts and 60 hertz.

You will need a step down transformer for the pc and the monitor and if you have a problem you may not be able to get the spare parts in Thailand.

Just change the power supply. Many ps have a switch as well.

• Like 1

PC's are a tough sell nowadays. You can't move them or take them with you, and the gap between the power of pcs vs laptops has narrowed. 

Just buy a laptop at home during black friday and leave the pc there. Thank me later. 

Asus zenbook. 8gb ram. 2 drives boot is SSD. MX130/Intel video. i7. Aluminum body. Very light laptop. Windows 10 + Office 2019. Yeah it's overkill for what I do but I'm a nut for technology. Better to go big imo. Lasts 8 years. Just buy new. Carting old junk into Thailand is lame. Hope it's an epic, hot rod PC.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 1

I love my desktop PC, had it build to specs by JIB and I installed Win10 myself.

It's used for editing photos and my son play games on it and off-course also a movie now and again on the 27" 4k screen.

Only use my laptop when going working overseas and holidays, uses a tablet out on the patio.