Where to Stop Between Pattaya and Koh Chang?

NCC1701A

I am going to Koh Chang from Pattaya on my motorcycle.

I don't want to make the trip in one day. Its just a little too far for me.

Any suggestions on where to stop about half way?

I could divide the distance in half and look on Google maps but sometimes I get some great suggestions here.

Thanks.

• Like 1

There’s a great trip that me and my friends do regularly, after going past Rayong about 7-8 Klms turn right at a set of traffic lights next to a big Buddha and go to Mae Rumphueng beach just keep following the coast all the way down, takes you down through Ban Phe just keep following the coast all the way to Mae Pim beach I think some of the cleanest and unspoiled beaches in Thailand, you can stay there or move to Ban Laem son to follows the coast down to Kung Wiman and Chao Lao beach where you could also stay , from there travel along the coast to Laem Sing beach , up to the north side of KLUNG then onto Koh Chang . My advice take 2-3 days there is many places to see , the locals are very friendly , many many food outlets and bungalows ect on the way and most importantly do it on a weekday not a weekend because 95% of those beaches ect are THAI holiday places and are packed on the weekends . Enjoy your trip 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/4/2019 at 2:27 PM, CNXexpat said:

I also agree with Chanthaburi. They have a nice cathedral and the town itself is nice too. Not many tourists, lovely cafes and restaurants in old wooden buildings and very relaxed. Worth to make a stopover for a day.

They have a statue of Virgin  Mary covered in Sapphires, Beautiful  , I believe Vietnamese went there during ting  Vietnam War

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2019 at 7:31 AM, Barney R said:

There’s a great trip that me and my friends do regularly, after going past Rayong about 7-8 Klms turn right at a set of traffic lights next to a big Buddha and go to Mae Rumphueng beach just keep following the coast all the way down, takes you down through Ban Phe just keep following the coast all the way to Mae Pim beach I think some of the cleanest and unspoiled beaches in Thailand, you can stay there or move to Ban Laem son to follows the coast down to Kung Wiman and Chao Lao beach where you could also stay , from there travel along the coast to Laem Sing beach , up to the north side of KLUNG then onto Koh Chang . My advice take 2-3 days there is many places to see , the locals are very friendly , many many food outlets and bungalows ect on the way and most importantly do it on a weekday not a weekend because 95% of those beaches ect are THAI holiday places and are packed on the weekends . Enjoy your trip 

I just got back and thanks again for this info. i took three days to get to Koh Chang from Pattaya. and followed your suggestions and many others here. 1,826 kilometers total for the trip starting from Hua Hin. 

• Like 1

Can't beat Laem Mae Phim 

Not too expensive. About 800 a night. 

In fact better and cheaper than Kho Chang. 

Nice clean beach. 

Ao Khai just around the corner, beautiful. 

Got a bike, just cruise around a bit. 

Once seen, you will probably stay! 

Viva supermarket (next to Grand Blue Hotel), cheap beer from the fridge, just sit outside at the tables. 

Large Chang 60 baht. Can't beat that. 

I live there. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 7:31 AM, Barney R said:

Fully agree with you ... Mae Rumphueng is a very nice area to hang around. Quite laid back. I spend a lot of time there.

Great location, from there you easily get in short 3h to Koh Chang, a nice ride into greenery straight away, without the need to pass

any major city blocks. Or you are just in 20min off to Koh Samet ferry/pier in Ban Phe. 

Beach is great, a long 11km stretch. Not always super clean as you say, there are times of the year/season, where it also get's some good 

plastic thrown onto the shores, but overall, I agree ... clean enough to jump in.

On the (long) weekends, it's mostly Thai's, from BKK etc., who come in droves to the beach ... really nice atmosphere, I do like it.

Edited by RedPill

On 11/5/2019 at 11:23 PM, Nielsk said:

Beaches ?

Maybe me personally, but I think there are a lot of nice beaches after Rayong, direction Chantaburi

I followed the roads near the beach through the complete coast line after Rayong, and had a great time there.

Yeah, at one point in time, the beach get's quite blackish sandy, that's where it ends ????

But it's a good way down with nice beaches along the way.

Edited by RedPill

On 11/5/2019 at 4:56 PM, Ireland32 said:

Ban Phe is very nice Tequila Sunrise Bar and Restaurant

If OP goes to Ban Phe, it would be worth to make a short trip to Ko Samet. Ban Phe is where the ferries take off. 

Rayong is way too polluted through all the freakin/ plastic factories. 

But Chanthaburi seems to be the best option. 

Edited by Isaanbiker