Operation costs

wazzadg44

I have been diagnosed with a hernia in the groin. I consulted a surgeon at BDMS and was quoted around 50,000 baht for the operation/procedure which includes at least one night in hospital,maybe two depending on recovery etc. As I do not have insurance(too old 74 and have pre existing conditions) I will be paying myself. My question is has any one else gone through this procedure and if so,what were the costs. I don't mind paying,I just would like a comparison.

Thanks.

That price sounds way too low to me. Which BDMS hospital? At most of them I'd expect it to be around 150K. At less expensive private hospitals (non-profits and mid-range hospitals) it would be around 100k if in Bangkok area, maybe a bit less upcountry but not as low as 50K. I suspect that is not an all inclusive price, might be just the surgeon's fee.

I have a nephew who paid 80K for this some 8 years ago at St Louis Hospital, a private  non-profit. Just to give you an  idea. And costs have goner up since then.

It would of course be much cheaper at a  government hospital. 20-30k would be my guess.

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

That price sounds way too low to me. Which BDMS hospital? At most of them I'd expect it to be around 150K. At less expensive private hospitals (non-profits and mid-range hospitals) it would be around 100k if in Bangkok area, maybe a bit less upcountry but not as low as 50K. I suspect that is not an all inclusive price, might be just the surgeon's fee.

I have a nephew who paid 80K for this some 8 years ago at St Louis Hospital, a private  non-profit. Just to give you an  idea. And costs have goner up since then.

It would of course be much cheaper at a  government hospital. 20-30k would be my guess.

Hi Sheryl

I along with three other people were done in Britain in and out the same day.

It was a model of efficiency and no prob since.

Just wondering if that is possible here to save the OP money.....or is it an age thing?

52 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Hi Sheryl

I along with three other people were done in Britain in and out the same day.

It was a model of efficiency and no prob since.

Just wondering if that is possible here to save the OP money.....or is it an age thing?

It is not an age thing, it is a Thai thing. Many things that would be day procedures here are 1-2 night deals in Thailand. Even at the government hospitals.

However this has minimal cost implications as unlike in the west, the daily room charge is low.

As stated by others, the price seems way too low.

Admittedly, Bangkok Hospital Phitsanuloke is not in the same price category as many others of BDMS, and even has some cheap packages. 

Make sure there are no hidden costs. 

But even with hidden costs it's a good deal. 

Archived