OA Visa extention if cannot get insurance

I'm 73 and have been researching health insurance. Can find only 4 companies that will cover my age. I have pre-existing conditions and am concerned that they might not offer a policy. Has anyone heard anything from their immigration office about an alternative: ie: more money in the bank? I've searched the web and can not find more information including immigration or ministry of health websites. I would appreciate the information.

Edited by mhortig
  • Like 1

No alternatives (like cash in the bank) are mentioned. You may find an insurance company that will issue a policy with exclusions of cover for your pre-existing conditions. Qualifying insurance, at the moment only seems to be 400,000 cover with 40,000 outpatient and no specifics wrt exclusions. In Thailand a broker may help, not sure where you can go if outside. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mhortig said:

What about changing my O A visa to mariage visa. I'm married but previously saw o need to change. Can I do that in Thailand?

You would be applying for an Extension based on marriage. Better I let @ubonjoeanswer that but I believe you can, although @elviajero has a different idea, that you must comply with the reasons the original Permission of Stay was granted ie  retirement. Where might you be doing this?

Edited by jacko45k

17 minutes ago, mhortig said:

Phitsanulok immigration

You should be able to do it. You need to ask them what their policy is. Some will insist you need a non-o visa entry to do it.

Since you are married to a Thai it is easy to get a single entry non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Not directly from an O-A permission to stay. A person would have to come back on Visa Exempt or tourist visa. 

Why not on a Non-Immigrant O Visa from let's say Savannaket Laos if he leaves the country without a re-entry permit? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Why not on a Non-Immigrant O Visa from let's say Savannaket Laos if he leaves the country without a re-entry permit? 

Well you really need to see the question I answered. But yes of course your option is good..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, travelerjim said:

Look at Pacific Cross...

Quote O-A qualified plan...

Get price for higher deductibles

Like 100,000...200,000...300,000

Brings costs way down with 300,000 deductible...

Makes policy affordable...

Though useless...IMHO

BUT allows one to keep their money in their home country earning $$

Thereby reducing cost of required insurance for the O-A.

FYI...Male age 61 asked on a post last night how much for O-A minimum requirements policy:

Male age 61
Pacific Cross policy for O-A minimum requirements:
0 Deductible 37,888 yr
20,000 Ded ..32,188 yr
40,000 Ded...28,401 yr
100,000 Ded 25,561 yr
200,000 Ded 22,721 yr
300,000 Ded 18,934 yr
https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/quote-en/step2

And for age 75

FYI...age 75
Pacific Cross O-A standard extra plus policy
0 deductible 77,788 Thb
20,000 ded    66,116 Thb
40,000 ded    58,338 Thb 
100,000 ded  52,504 Thb
200,000 ded   46,670 Thb
300,000 ded   38,892 Thb

Just an idea which may help some.

Tj

If you get there Pacific Cross Standard Plus plan you can use the 300,000 deductible and the cost will be reduced by 50%.  This is good if you do have another policy in the states.  I have Tricare for Life and what Pacific Cross does not pay  Tricare will.

Edited by Mango Bob
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well you really need to see the question I answered. But yes of course your option is good..

I answered the same question and the answer is not only a 30 days exempt or a 60 days TR. It's any visa from a neighbouring country. Plus much more paperwork when converting a 30 days exempt or a 60 days TR to a Non-Immigrant O + the 1 year extension at immigration. Much less time consuming when having the 90 days Non-Immigrant O from let's say Savannaket to start with. 

12 minutes ago, mhortig said:

Thanks for insurance information but I believe those policies do not meet the immigration requirements. Policies must have 400,000 inpatient and 40,000 outpatient.  The policies at this website meet the requirements and have be preapproved https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa    

That website lists only companies. Click on the links and in most cases nothing specific to longstay visas readily comes up, you really have to dig and in many cases directly contact the company.

At least one of those companies, when directly contacted, flatly denies selling any type of health insurance let alone longstay policy.

As a far as I know there is no need for a specific policy to be "preapproved". It just needs to be from one of the listed companies and to contain at least 40/400 in cover.  The certificate the insurers are asked to provide contains no further details than that.

I really, really doubt anyone has waded through all these policies to "preapprove" some of them. Rather they have chosen the companies and set the cover minimum.

Info from the listed companies has  already been compiled in chart form, see pinned  thread in the Health Forum.

BTW if you were replying to travelerjim the policies he lists are from one of the "approved" companies and all meet the 400/40 criteria.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I wonder if this idea has been signed off by immigration.   

You make a good point.  I have been worrying about the potential of trying to explain to an IO that my policy complies with their requirements.  During an idle evening a couple of days ago I went to the site of my current insurance company.  In my case this is Aetna (Thailand) - https://www.aetna.co.th/en/long-stay-visa/.  This page includes four steps to arranging insurance for "Personal health Insurance for Long Stay Visa".  Steps 1 and 2 rather obviously are purchase insurance and insurance certificate sent to member.  Step 3 is "Aetna submits our member info at TGIA's portal database".  Step 4 is "Department of Consular Affairs and Immigration Bureau will verify those (sic) info at TGIA's portal database".  Rather optimistically I read from this that it is Aetna and not myself who will have to do the explaining to the authorities and who will have to justify the suitability of my policy.  Put simply, by the time I go to the office to extend my permission to stay, my policy will already be verified on the TGIA portal database.  Home and dry, yes?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mhortig said:

Thanks for insurance information but I believe those policies do not meet the immigration requirements. Policies must have 400,000 inpatient and 40,000 outpatient.  The policies at this website meet the requirements and have be preapproved https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa    

You have to understand that the minimum requirements, 400k coverage for a health insurance for an O-A Visa holder is useless and very expensive. If your staying in Phuket, Pattaya or BKK 400k is not enough if you get real sick or badly injured. You need to go to the cheapest government hospital. 

45 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I answered the same question and the answer is not only a 30 days exempt or a 60 days TR. It's any visa from a neighbouring country. Plus much more paperwork when converting a 30 days exempt or a 60 days TR to a Non-Immigrant O + the 1 year extension at immigration. Much less time consuming when having the 90 days Non-Immigrant O from let's say Savannaket to start with. 

No you didn't, original question related to converting in Thailand. But hey carry on....

Can you change to O visa here in Thailand?

Edited by jacko45k

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

That website lists only companies. Click on the links and in most cases nothing specific to longstay visas readily comes up, you really have to dig and in many cases directly contact the company.

At least one of those companies, when directly contacted, flatly denies selling any type of health insurance let alone longstay policy.

As a far as I know there is no need for a specific policy to be "preapproved". It just needs to be from one of the listed companies and to contain at least 40/400 in cover.  The certificate the insurers are asked to provide contains no further details than that.

I really, really doubt anyone has waded through all these policies to "preapprove" some of them. Rather they have chosen the companies and set the cover minimum.

Info from the listed companies has  already been compiled in chart form, see pinned  thread in the Health Forum.

BTW if you were replying to travelerjim the policies he lists are from one of the "approved" companies and all meet the 400/40 criteria.

Pacific Cross has a pre-approved insurance for O-A Visa holders. They call it a Long Stay Visa insurance and it's a rip-off when comparing it to their other insurance plans. More expensive and less coverage. Real expensive if your above 65 years of age.

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

Pacific Cross has a pre-approved insurance for O-A Visa holders. They call it a Long Stay Visa insurance and it's a rip-off when comparing it to their other insurance plans. More expensive and less coverage. Real expensive if your above 65 years of age.

I doubt they have pre-approved.  They never told me that.  

They are one of the listed companies. And they have clarified thatmost of  their existing product line can be sued for O-A visa, you do not have to get a "special" policy, just be sure to include OPD option. Long discussion of this here:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1128396-cheat-sheet-for-longstay-insurance-policies/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

The question was not about converting an O-A to O in Thailand. 

"Can you change to O visa here in Thailand?" That was the question, and if you have to leave Thailand and go to Savannaket for another visa, then it's much smarter to go for a 90 days Non-Immigrant O instead of a 60 days TR or 30 days exempt. Those 2 you have to first convert to a 90 days Non-Immigrant O at Immigration + after 60 days apply for the extension. More paperwork and more time consuming than having the 90 days Non-Immigrant O from the start.

44 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You're off the mark.  They DO have their original 3 low-cover O-A specific Platinum policies. But now they also have most of their general public insurance policy line that's also been certified for O-A compliance. See the chart I just posted above....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

53 minutes ago, losername said:

You make a good point.  I have been worrying about the potential of trying to explain to an IO that my policy complies with their requirements.  During an idle evening a couple of days ago I went to the site of my current insurance company.  In my case this is Aetna (Thailand) - https://www.aetna.co.th/en/long-stay-visa/.  This page includes four steps to arranging insurance for "Personal health Insurance for Long Stay Visa".  Steps 1 and 2 rather obviously are purchase insurance and insurance certificate sent to member.  Step 3 is "Aetna submits our member info at TGIA's portal database".  Step 4 is "Department of Consular Affairs and Immigration Bureau will verify those (sic) info at TGIA's portal database".  Rather optimistically I read from this that it is Aetna and not myself who will have to do the explaining to the authorities and who will have to justify the suitability of my policy.  Put simply, by the time I go to the office to extend my permission to stay, my policy will already be verified on the TGIA portal database.  Home and dry, yes?

Yes, I've also heard from Pacific Cross that every time they issue an O-A certified policy, that they'll be reporting that info to some kind of government or Immigration or TGIA database.

But in addition, the Thai insurers in such cases also supposed to be issuing their O-A policy holders some kind of card or certificate from the insurer as evidence that they've met the requirements for the specified period of policy coverage.

• Thanks 2